• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recommended Charger - ChargePoint Home Flex , FLO Home X5 EV Charger . Emporia EV Charger

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Is that really not possible with the Ford Lightning?
Yes, it’s possible. You can set all charging parameters and schedule in the truck.
Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Since he's got a ER Lariat, I would recommend against the 48A Lectron. It's easy to forget it's only 48A capable and can cause a panic when you realize you're inadvertently charging at 80A...ask me how I know.
I have an ER lariat and it charges as fast as the Tesla will charge which is 48 A

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I have an ER lariat and it charges as fast as the Tesla will charge which is 48 A
He's commenting on the adaptor.

Since the truck can charge at 80 amps, and the adaptor might be used somewhere other than home, it would be safer to use an adaptor capable of handling the highest current the truck can handle.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
He's commenting on the adaptor.

Since the truck can charge at 80 amps, and the adaptor might be used somewhere other than home, it would be safer to use an adaptor capable of handling the highest current the truck can handle.
That’s exactly it. I went Lectron to save money, ended up with a Teslatap anyway for the 80A.

Ford F-150 Lightning Recommended Charger - ChargePoint Home Flex , FLO Home X5 EV Charger .  Emporia EV Charger image

WileyKyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 F-150 Lightning
I'm planning on getting the Tesla Universal Wall Charger when it comes out. It should 'future proof' my garage.

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I do t think you can go wrong with either one, so it boils down to preference and features.

The new universal Tesla charger is the most universal.
Some chargers Tesla for example (Ford doesn't) are capable of load balancing, so if you get a 2nd EV/charger in the future they can share the feed and both be plugged in.
I chose the Chargepoint because of how it integrated with home automation (and that it's a solid charger).

I would also look at what (if any) incentives your power company is offering. Mine gave a $500 check (check, not even bill credits) if you installed a energy star rated charger (Tesla or Chargepoint) which more or less offset the cost of the charger.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I've got the 40A version of this 50A Autel Maxicharger and it's great. Attractive, reliable and the app management is great. We don't have time of use restrictions, but you can manually set three different tiers of TOU settings, change amp output on the fly within the app, set plug and charge or only TOU or RFID card activation and the data tracking for power usage is incredible.

Besides my Lightning, my uses it to charge her EV6. It's been amazing for us. We're installing a new garage and we're putting in their 50A Level 2 commercial unit because we've been so happy with this one.

50A Autel Maxicharger: https://amzn.to/3PWv7ge

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
Finally, you may very well discover that your vehicle that was "supposed to be fine with 100% charging" is not so fine with it. The smarter EVSE can assist you in charging to say 80% to improve battery life, while at the same time taking advantage of low night time rates.....

Other than the above, no reason to own a smart charger. If your utility doesn't care when you charge and you have only one EV, and it has a battery that you think is safe to charge to 100% every day, then by all means, buy the cheapest dumb charger and charge away.......
Maybe you have me confused with some other thread. I never said I charge to 100%, may if I plan a long trip.

No worries, time to charge is something I did not consider from the electric company. However, I'm always concerned about using time to charge. With kids and grandkids should we have an emergency I need the EV immediately.

Thanks for helping the OP out as I missed the TOC thinking.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
If you don't need the 80 amps because you have a SR then my votes on Tesla Universal. We have had Juice Box, Clipper, and Tesla since 2014 in our homes and shop. Overall they worked but the software controls on them needed updates etc., while the Tesla has worked seamlessly.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector
Especially if you already have a Tesla charger...a second is great as they talk to each other.
We now have a "straight" Tesla wall connector and a Tesla J1772 wall connector which simplified our wiring. They load share...which is nice.

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
Hi OP, if you have any specific questions about the Emporia 48 Amp Level 2 Smart Home EV Charger we'd be happy to help.

Need to contact Emporia's Customer Support Team?

Available by phone, email, and chat M-F 8AM-5PM MST.

Please visit: https://emporiaenergy.com/contact

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Who cares, unless you buy a cheap knockoff, they all do the same basic job.

Don't use adapters in a permanent install.

Tesla is overrated and overhyped by the Stans.

The truck does the scheduling, you don't need WiFi anything.

If I didn't get a "free" fcsp I would have bought the basic grizzl-e unit. I have found 48a to be my ideal but I could live with 40a, just takes a little longer.

Hardwire your evse at home and get a portable unit for a backup that can do 120 and 240. Ideally one that has adjustable current as the truck can't regulate the current. Then you can get adapters if need be for various travel situations.

Get set up for what you need now. "future proofing" is a little optimistic. Your truck has ccs now, nacs won't be around for a least 2 to 3 years. Like most deals that Tesla makes, it may take a long time for the hype train to actually arrive.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
I use a Grizzle 40 AMP and it has been perfect.
I think by far I've seen the most negative complaints of the Grizzl-e chargers... might have just been the refurbs but a lot of scorching/burning up reports.

By far the only charger that has been shown to increase the value of a home is the Tesla charger. It's also more reliable.
Uh, I find it hard to believe you have any reliable method to prove that point. The most expensive part of installing an EV tends to be the wiring, pretty much any EVSE can be swapped out by yourself/cheaply done by a handyman.

I went with the Emporia chargers last year (two total for our two EVs). One thing that I think might be unique to the Emporia is the ability to control the charge current on the fly via the app. I've used it typically because I don't find either of my vehicles easy to set the vehicle to reach 100% at time of departure on the longer trips we take, so I do some quick calculations and set the amperage (from between 6A to 48A) to get the 100% charge at close to departure. The energy monitoring is decent as well, gives us a good idea of usage in a relatively easy to use app (though I use Iotawatt for my home monitoring, I can understand/probably would have gone for the Emporia monitor had I not already had the iotawatt).

I can also understand that, at this point in time, it might be best to go with the Tesla J1772/NACS charger for future proofing. It would be great, and I really hope they do it, if @EmporiaEnergy would offer/sell replacement NACS cables once the vehicles start switching over. It looks like it should be a very simple procedure as the current cable is plugged into the EVSE via screw posts (so you'd unscrew, pull the wires out, slide the new cable in, tighten screws to spec).

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I think by far I've seen the most negative complaints of the Grizzl-e chargers... might have just been the refurbs but a lot of scorching/burning up reports.

Uh, I find it hard to believe you have any reliable method to prove that point. The most expensive part of installing an EV tends to be the wiring, pretty much any EVSE can be swapped out by yourself/cheaply done by a handyman.

I went with the Emporia chargers last year (two total for our two EVs). One thing that I think might be unique to the Emporia is the ability to control the charge current on the fly via the app. I've used it typically because I don't find either of my vehicles easy to set the vehicle to reach 100% at time of departure on the longer trips we take, so I do some quick calculations and set the amperage (from between 6A to 48A) to get the 100% charge at close to departure. The energy monitoring is decent as well, gives us a good idea of usage in a relatively easy to use app (though I use Iotawatt for my home monitoring, I can understand/probably would have gone for the Emporia monitor had I not already had the iotawatt).

I can also understand that, at this point in time, it might be best to go with the Tesla J1772/NACS charger for future proofing. It would be great, and I really hope they do it, if @EmporiaEnergy would offer/sell replacement NACS cables once the vehicles start switching over. It looks like it should be a very simple procedure as the current cable is plugged into the EVSE via screw posts (so you'd unscrew, pull the wires out, slide the new cable in, tighten screws to spec).
Ex wife and close family friend are both top 25 real estate agents in the southeast and both independently state the above.

New homebuyers look for and want already-installed Tesla chargers to make move in and establishment easier. They will pay a premium for a Tesla charger installed, and it significantly reduces time on the market. Houses simply sell faster and for more money with Tesla chargers installed.

other chargers have the opposite effect and can deter buyers. Regardless of Elon shenanigans, Tesla-everything is perceived as better, more reliable installs due to contract and licensing, and more desirable.

All the above is supported by data from at least three large multi state real estate corporations. This is what they tell their agents in monthly meetings. Use it how you like, or don't.

OP
OP
itdwebman

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
other chargers have the opposite effect and can deter buyers.
If you understood how the studies are done you'd realize attribution error is a huge thing. This statement in particular is ridiculous. If you google this question, you can find some links that say homes with EV chargers sell for 13% more, but that doesn't mean it is the EV charger itself that is actually doing it. Seriously, the majority of houses can probably have an EVSE installed in the range of $1k to 2k, which is going to be well under 1% of median house value. I'm not going to disagree with what the real estate agents are told, just that the underlying studies are probably flawed.
Sponsored