• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extended warranty - thoughts comments

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
I get it, it’s a gamble. I almost never purchase extended warranties, never on a car.
battery covered. - fine.
I might drive through that 36000 mile warranty in 2-2.5 years.
my concern is more about all the other electronics. It can get expensive quickly.

my 05 f150 had for 16 years 260k miles. The trans, replaced and rear differential were the biggest things, but I don’t think terribly abnormal. i can’t go by without mentioning the PIA triton V8 5.4L spark plug headache. Thanks Ford.
now a ‘19 f150 39 months, no problems.
my ‘13 BMW - UNDER 75K miles - 2 electronic issues that I could not repair myself. $$$
Remember that a Lightning has less moving parts than an ICE F-150 engine does. Maintenance and repair are usually minimal cost on BEVs. Of course, when something breaks, it is probably electronic.

I'm really curious what a replacement battery will cost. I'm sure it's at least $20k.
Mustang Mach E battery is 2/3 the size of a Lightning battery and costs ~26,000 for the part only.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Battery is warranted for 8 years / 100,000 miles. In 8 years, if the battery fails, which is unlikely, the cost will be much lower than today.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Battery is warranted for 8 years / 100,000 miles. In 8 years, if the battery fails, which is unlikely, the cost will be much lower than today.
I have always assumed this as well. However, if there are only 3 years of production it may be hard to find one, driving the price up. If they build 400,000+ there maybe aftermarket options.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
This is the same assumption I made when I purchased my 2011 Chevy Volt in 2010 (also with a 8 yr warranty), yet here I am in 2022 with a battery that needs replacement and GM is charging $23,000 for a new one (and it's only 32 KWh, so just a fraction of the size of the Lightning SR battery). I can get a third party refurb for $6000 but it's only warrantied for 18 months so that's a crapshoot.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is the same assumption I made when I purchased my 2011 Chevy Volt in 2010 (also with a 8 yr warranty), yet here I am in 2022 with a battery that needs replacement and GM is charging $23,000 for a new one (and it's only 32 KWh, so just a fraction of the size of the Lightning SR battery). I can get a third party refurb for $6000 but it's only warrantied for 18 months so that's a crapshoot.
Sure. But they made less than 200,000 of them. Ford will make hundreds of thousands, then millions, of the Lightnings.

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I am on my second Volt and as I got it new at the end of the gen 1 for $25k, I figured I would keep it as backup to the F-150L. And when it fails big, scrap it. I remember GM replacement batteries being discussed at two to four thousand, but I guess that did not happen.

I hope the higher volume EVs will have solid state replacements available in future.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
...... A Volt battery replacement from the dealer is $23k, or you can go third party refurb for $6k but with only 18 mo warranty.
Is dealer battery replacement brand new? I doubt. How long is warranty?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
The first new car I bought back in the mid-80s, I paid for the extended warranty. Fast forward several years and I needed to use it..." sorry, that company went out of business, here is what it is going to cost you to make that repair." Never bought an extended warranty again.
You should not buy 3rd party warranty.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dealer battery replacement brand new? I doubt. How long is warranty?
I assume it's brand new, should be for that price. In fact I just saw they Chevy lowered the price of the Bolt today and it's now ~$26k, which is an amazing price since it contains a brand new battery that is like 4x the size of the Volt battery, which costs $23k by itself!!

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I assume it's brand new, should be for that price. In fact I just saw they Chevy lowered the price of the Bolt today and it's now ~$26k, which is an amazing price since it contains a brand new battery that is like 4x the size of the Volt battery, which costs $23k by itself!!
To my knowledge, no, it is still refurbished. It does not make sense for GM to make more battery packs and put them in storage for many years.

To refurbish the battery makes more economic sense. And that's what Tesla does.

Sponsored

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
you dont need to decide now. You can shop for one before current warranty expires. Ford will send you offers... plus there are 3rd party options such as Route66. my credit unions also has offers 3rd party warranty... my suggestion will be to punt for now

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for this thread. I stupidly purchased the ESP Premium package from the dealer at much higher cost than what Ziegler quotes for the same plan. Fortunately the small print in the contract says that you can cancel for a full refund within 30 days, so I will be doing that. (EDIT: in CA, the duration is 60 days)

I am posting this so that any others who foolishly spent more than $1500 for a Ford Protect ESP Premium package will know they can cancel it for a full refund and go with the same exact plan that can be purchased from Ziegler/Flood/etc for much cheaper. There is also a pro-rata refund (with a $75 fee) for an additional 11 months if you miss the 30 day cutoff.
Sponsored

Last edited: