• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Current tax credit is tied to tax liability, which is loosely tied to income. That is one needs to have over $7500 in tax liability to claim the full value of the credit.....if I understand correctly. Not a tax expert.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Current tax credit is tied to tax liability, which is loosely tied to income. That is one needs to have over $7500 in tax liability to claim the full value of the credit.....if I understand correctly. Not a tax expert.
This is correct. Tax Liability will be reduced by other credits and/or deduction(including std deduction) so your actual income has to be fairly high(think $75k+) to get even close to the $7500 liability

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No worries. I appreciate different viewpoints(as long as they are not misrepresented as facts).

I also acknowledge not everyone values everything the same and not everyone has the same priorities(or constraints). Some people may be OK with paying more to be first in line(first on the block) to get an f150 and value being a novelty. Others may be more pragmatic.

Its all good. I do think a lot is up in the air with the reconciliation bill and HOPEFULLY we should know more this week. (Or at least some info in the direction things are going) <fingers crossed>

As a recall..some of the proposals had an income limit, but the most probable ones had a high limit--something like $200k for single and $400k for married/joint. Don't quote me on that, but I seem to remember it being way above where I am sitting income wise.
the Senate had a non-binding $100k/family and $40k MSRP limit. The house version had a $400k/$800k income limit (Biden promise of no new taxes if you make less than $400k) and MSRP limits by vehicle type. ($74k for trucks)

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the Senate had a non-binding $100k/family and $40k MSRP limit. The house version had a $400k/$800k income limit (Biden promise of no new taxes if you make less than $400k) and MSRP limits by vehicle type. ($74k for trucks)
FWIW-- the Senate 100k/40k MSRP was approved during vote-o-rama and I don't think anyone is taking that seriously. I'd be very, very surprised if that gets any traction at all since it would be a step backward in terms of availability/utilization. (How many sub-$40k EVs are there? Not many at all..)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
The current Tax credit does not have an income limit, but one is being debated for the next round of credits in DC.
I would be shocked if they didn't cap who gets the credit. But I sure hope @greenne 's recollection is accurate regarding the threshold. :)

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
FWIW-- the Senate 100k/40k MSRP was approved during vote-o-rama and I don't think anyone is taking that seriously. I'd be very, very surprised if that gets any traction at all since it would be a step backward in terms of availability/utilization. (How many sub-$40k EVs are there? Not many at all..)
Well the whole point of that limit (proposed by Joe Manchin) was to be a poison pill to get rid of EV tax credits....

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would be shocked if they didn't cap who gets the credit. But I sure hope @greenne 's recollection is accurate regarding the threshold. :)
More info:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133669_ev-tax-credit-boost-how-the-versions-compare

(Note the non-binding resolution is not mentioned with ridiculous $40k msrp cap)

Also note-- 74k-80k MSRP cap for pickups. Platinum trim would be above, Lariat would be close to the cap. This may effect Ford pricing and also prompt people to choose XLT vs Lariat

Disclaimer-- No one really knows how these were changed/modified in talks to lower the bill cost and get support from certain senators

Last edited:

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well the whole point of that limit (proposed by Joe Manchin) was to be a poison pill to get rid of EV tax credits....
Yeah..it called talking out of both sides of his mouth..saying "I support EVs" while making it so restrictive no one can use it. Its a ploy..he's not fooling anyone. Biden has been aggressive on climate and EVs..doubt he'll let Manchin get away with it...

danInCo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford Escape, GMC Yukon, Chevy 1500
Occupation
Manufacturing Executive
My dealer wrote me last night and said delayed to December and I wouldn't hear from the dealer until after the order has been placed - Ford will contact customers directly to give them ordering info. Basically, dealer said, "we're not sure what's going on, but please don't ask us again. Ford will let you know...probably."

I'm not sure what's going on with Ford either, probably a combo of things; line is not ready, design is still buggy, supply chain issues, and, likely, waiting on Congress to decide one way or the other on future tax incentives. Whatever it is, it's frustrating.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
It will probably be after the end of the Lightning Tour which is the 28th.
Maybe during 2021 SEMA in Las Vegas on November 5th?

Sponsored

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
Yeah..it called talking out of both sides of his mouth..saying "I support EVs" while making it so restrictive no one can use it. Its a ploy..he's not fooling anyone. Biden has been aggressive on climate and EVs..doubt he'll let Manchin get away with it...
I believe it was Deb Fischer (R-NE) who made the $40K cap proposal. Only point that out to note it did not come from within the Democratic Party/I don't think Manchin will be pushing for such a cap proposal as part of his wish list.

ETA: Manchin was one of the 3 Democratic senators that voted for it (along with Sinema and Kelly, both from AZ). Maybe Manchin will push for some such cap, IDK.

Last edited:

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
I believe it was Deb Fischer (R-NE) who made the $40K cap proposal. Only point that out to note it did not come from within the Democratic Party/I don't think Manchin will be pushing for such a cap proposal as part of his wish list.

ETA: Manchin was one of the 3 Democratic senators that voted for it (along with Sinema and Kelly, both from AZ). Maybe Manchin will push for some such cap, IDK.
For the future of the Country, I hope these tax incentives for EV’s go away since any program is going on a US credit card. Selfishly, I may benefit short term. Not sure how anyone can justify the “Union” payback incentive. Unions are the main reason we lost Chrysler…we don’t need to lose anymore US based manufacturers.

RickE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I called Ford yesterday and after being transferred about 3 times I was told that the online order/configuration would be available on Oct 26, 2021. I have the option of building it online myself then going to the dealer to finalize the deal or doing everything at the dealer.
How did your ordering go today? Is your order in? Thx

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I have 3 grown children who I am very proud of and ecstatic that they have provided me the blessing of being a grandpa. But those 3 households are all modest in total income and hardly shoulder the burden of federal taxes, when it's all said and done.

Their dad, on the other hand, is one of those nasty Ole "Rich" folks who has never paid his fair share. (oh the irony. Lol)

I never win anything. I never gamble. I never lie cheat or steal. I didn't get any of that Covid money. So please, if I do actually get a turn to buy an F150 Lightning, can I qualify for one of those green incentives? ??

Hey, I'm finally trying to be green. That's progress!

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
For the future of the Country, I hope these tax incentives for EV’s go away since any program is going on a US credit card. Selfishly, I may benefit short term. Not sure how anyone can justify the “Union” payback incentive. Unions are the main reason we lost Chrysler…we don’t need to lose anymore US based manufacturers.
I do not believe the extra Union and Battery credits will survive.

Canada has warned that adding these would violate free trade laws and hurt Canada, which is also a prime exporter of materials US needs for battery building.

The best path would be to just extend the current program and re-expand it to all EV producers and let the future market expand based on free market principles.
Sponsored