• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
You're gonna love the rude awakening when prices are finally released on CT....
Even if it’s the same price it’ll be much more capable. 1000v architecture with super fast charging will allow long distance towing. Heat pump will be more efficient for winter driving. Software that actually works. I was so close to ordering an XLT but I ain’t paying that kind of money on a truck that’s going to seem ancient next year. As much as I love the look of the current f150’s I just can’t do it. I think the cybertruck is going to be the iPhone moment to everyone else’s Nokias.
Sponsored

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Even if it’s the same price it’ll be much more capable. 1000v architecture with super fast charging will allow long distance towing. Heat pump will be more efficient for winter driving. Software that actually works. I was so close to ordering an XLT but I ain’t paying that kind of money on a truck that’s going to seem ancient next year. As much as I love the look of the current f150’s I just can’t do it. I think the cybertruck is going to be the iPhone moment to everyone else’s Nokias.
Maybe & each to their own. I guess I'm just too old to appreciate the appearance of the CT. I'd never buy that truck.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Maybe & each to their own. I guess I'm just too old to appreciate the appearance of the CT. I'd never buy that truck.
It's not for everyone, just like EVs.

But even for people who don't like it, it will probably put pressure on the more traditional manufacturers to improve their offerings or lower their prices (see Mach E price drops after Model Y price drops). Competition is good for consumers.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Ok.

First of all, the 1000v architecture only helps those that DCFC often. A large subset of owners just charge at home and only DCFC on road trips. I charge at home for dirt cheap and enjoy the power architecture in the truck as it plays nicely with my manual home backup.

Second of all. Tesla's software works, but lacks alot of integration due to the lack of CarPlay and Android Auto. Ford's software does, in fact, work...there are some quirks they are still ironing out but I actually enjoy my in vehicle experience.

Third, these trucks won't seem ancient next year. This is laughable. I have a feeling the Lightning will be attractive on the resale market for a fair while because it does look like a vehicle people are familiar with and it is built on the best selling F-150 platform.

Now to the heat pump...Tesla is one of the worst when it comes to not getting advertised estimated range. To say the heat pump makes it more efficient just means they can inflate their already inflated range claims. Across the board Tesla has been rated as overestimating their range by roughly 12%. When tested, the Mach-E (comparing like vehicles as the Cybertruck currently doesn't exist) outperformed its estimated mileage by over 5%.

The only superior things about Tesla is their business model (profit margins) and Supercharger network...which soon will be open to everyone.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
yea but from the day the iPhone came out it was sexy as hell compared to what else was available. The CT is hideous and will be a hard sell for traditional truck buyers who will all be going electric at some point.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
First of all, the 1000v architecture only helps those that DCFC often. A large subset of owners just charge at home and only DCFC on road trips. I charge at home for dirt cheap and enjoy the power architecture in the truck as it plays nicely with my manual home backup.
We know people place an outsized emphasis on certain things even if they don't use them a lot, especially if they feel like it's way worse than what they used to have (gas convenience on trips). 250kW+ charging would be really nice. Make or break in REALITY? No, but it's a pretty substantial selling point, whether it really should be or not.

Second of all. Tesla's software works, but lacks alot of integration due to the lack of CarPlay and Android Auto. Ford's software does, in fact, work...there are some quirks they are still ironing out but I actually enjoy my in vehicle experience.
Carplay is very good and saves an otherwise outdated-looking, clunky interface, IMO. But, functionally, Carplay saves the day and makes it relatively competitive with Tesla's otherwise much better software. Again, opinion.

Third, these trucks won't seem ancient next year. This is laughable. I have a feeling the Lightning will be attractive on the resale market for a fair while because it does look like a vehicle people are familiar with and it is built on the best selling F-150 platform.
Agreed. They won't seem ancient. They'll just seem more traditional, and maybe slightly outgunned spec-wise. Sorta like Mach E vs Model Y. Pros and cons. Both will still have plenty of buyers.

Now to the heat pump...Tesla is one of the worst when it comes to not getting advertised estimated range. To say the heat pump makes it more efficient just means they can inflate their already inflated range claims. Across the board Tesla has been rated as overestimating their range by roughly 12%. When tested, the Mach-E (comparing like vehicles as the Cybertruck currently doesn't exist) outperformed its estimated mileage by over 5%.
You're right about EPA estimates in general, but the range is ultimately close between the long range non-GT Mach Es and the Model Y. And...

The only superior things about Tesla is their business model (profit margins) and Supercharger network...which soon will be open to everyone.
Efficiency is still substantially better from Tesla. Mach E vs Model Y yields similar range, but Tesla uses a substantially smaller battery. Charging speeds are better, also. Charging network is better (and won't be totally open anytime in the near future). Ford has their advantages, too, but Tesla still has some clear advantages. And those same advantages (efficiency, charge speeds, charging network, etc.) are likely to translate to Lighting vs Cybertruck, as well.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
We know people place an outsized emphasis on certain things even if they don't use them a lot, especially if they feel like it's way worse than what they used to have (gas convenience on trips). 250kW+ charging would be really nice. Make or break in REALITY? No, but it's a pretty substantial selling point, whether it really should be or not.

Carplay is very good and saves an otherwise outdated-looking, clunky interface, IMO. But, functionally, Carplay saves the day and makes it relatively competitive with Tesla's otherwise much better software. Again, opinion.

Agreed. They won't seem ancient. They'll just seem more traditional, and maybe slightly outgunned spec-wise. Sorta like Mach E vs Model Y. Pros and cons. Both will still have plenty of buyers.

You're right about EPA estimates in general, but the range is ultimately close between the long range non-GT Mach Es and the Model Y. And...

Efficiency is still substantially better from Tesla. Mach E vs Model Y yields similar range, but Tesla uses a substantially smaller battery. Charging speeds are better, also. Charging network is better (and won't be totally open anytime in the near future). Ford has their advantages, too, but Tesla still has some clear advantages. And those same advantages (efficiency, charge speeds, charging network, etc.) are likely to translate to Lighting vs Cybertruck, as well.
Fair points.

Efficiency vs range is an interesting topic as manufacturers can offset poor efficiency (like the Lightning) via bigger batteries.

I did forget to mention Tesla's notoriously bad build quality, expensive cost of insurance, and difficulty in repairs.

Also, the Cybertruck will not be under $50k. I'd be genuinely surprised if it is less than $60k at this point. Why? The Cybertruck doesn't not follow the other models in materials, styling, build...basically anything. Tesla's generous profit margins won't play nicely with the cost of materials going into the Cybertruck. If they do make the CT affordable (they won't), they are going to have to answer to investors who will question why they can't make $9k-$10k in profit like they do on their other vehicles.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Fair points.

Efficiency vs range is an interesting topic as manufacturers can offset poor efficiency (like the Lightning) via bigger batteries.
Yeah, and there are pros and cons to both methods, but I'd prefer same range, smaller battery in general, probably. That wouldn't inherently be a huge selling point between Mach E and Model Y for me, though.

I did forget to mention Tesla's notoriously bad build quality, expensive cost of insurance, and difficulty in repairs.
Anecdotally, none of those are substantially better for Ford than Tesla, for me. Maybe they are for others.

Build quality for my Lighting is equal to my old Tesla, at best, so that doesn't hold a lot of weight for me. Paint was trash on both. Nothing special about the interior build on mine, and now the rear passenger window broke, stuck all the way down so we can't use the truck, and the best they could do is (calling several dealers) is *maybe* look at it in a week or so because they need their "EV" guy even though it's a shared part with gas F-150s, I'm fairly certain.

But Ford does have some advantages like more option choices for the interior, more accessories, more dealerships (for people with no Tesla service nearby or maybe only a bad one), etc. I'd probably assume the F-150 would be the better truck to beat on for work, too, but that's a guess based on reputation/Ford's experience.

Also, the Cybertruck will not be under $50k. I'd be genuinely surprised if it is less than $60k at this point. Why? The Cybertruck doesn't not follow the other models in materials, styling, build...basically anything. Tesla's generous profit margins won't play nicely with the cost of materials going into the Cybertruck. If they do make the CT affordable (they won't), they are going to have to answer to investors who will question why they can't make $9k-$10k in profit like they do on their other vehicles.
I don't think it will be less than $60k, either. Why would it be? There's no single-motor RWD version anymore, so the Dual Motor version will certainly at least match the Pro on specs, so why would they go substantially cheaper than the Pro? They'd be throwing money away. Demand at $60k will still be plenty strong for a long time.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Not with that Osh Kosh Tacoma interior……..

Much more capable in what way? The bed seems more narrow, the frunk is non-existent, you can chuck crap over the side of the bed, no center console except two cup holders. Storage on the inside? There’s no info on towing at all, hell have they even tested towing?

As far as feeling “ancient”, the CT has been out quite a bit longer than the Lightning, it’s already a design that hasn’t aged well, it looks old to me.

If anything Ford is taking advantage of being the only game in town and when Tesla brings out pricing on the CT they will have to fall in line. Let’s hope Musk sells it at $39k $49k or $69k like announced 🤣

Notice the last Twitter comparison from an insider decided to compare it to the Raptor and not the Lightning.. hmmmm

I have a CT reservation and am anticipating its release like everyone else.

Last edited:

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
If you think the Cybertruck is going to sell for the same price as the Lightning (even after the price increase)..you're in for an even more rude awakening.

My guess is over $100k(possibly a lot more). More in line with Hummer than Lightning.

Last edited:

BLTurner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Computers and Robots
(Rivian is way more expensive and still loosing money with every truck)
The Rivian only has a lariat level trim. So yes more expensive than XLT or Pro. But with the latest price increases it is on par price wise. Comparing the $79,000 price points of both vehicles today. I found that the Rivian has better range and the Ford is a bit faster. The Ford has a few more bells and whistles. I like the size and looks of the Rivian better than I like the bells and whistles so I prefer the Rivian.
I am however looking at taking advantage of the odd resell market. My F150 reservation is ready to turn into an order. If I get in line for another Rivian, it should be ready about the time that the resell on the F-150 starts dropping off.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
The Lightning PRO was unsustainable at $39k. It was ridiculous at that price. Is the Lighting PRO still a decent deal at $60k? I don't know...but confident Ford will sell everyone they can produce until someone else comes to market with a better value. Right now for mainstream Electric trucks, they are the only real game in town. (Rivian is way more expensive and still loosing money with every truck)
From the start I felt it was a $60K EV based upon credentials alone (98kWh battery, AWD, size, power, performance, frunk, etc.). For someone who purchased an original Chevy Bolt, it was quickly apparent how underpriced the Lightning was at launch. Ford still can't afford to sell Lightnings at $60K, so I would expect to see Pro being a fleet only option going forward. 2023 is sold out for retail

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
From the start I felt it was a $60K EV based upon credentials alone (98kWh battery, AWD, size, power, performance, frunk, etc.). For someone who purchased an original Chevy Bolt, it was quickly apparent how underpriced the Lightning was at launch. Ford still can't afford to sell Lightnings at $60K, so I would expect to see Pro being a fleet only option going forward. 2023 is sold out for retail
Yeah, $60k is only a bad price relative to the original (ridiculous) price. It's in line with other trucks and trims and EVs, now.
Sponsored