• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Am I incorrect to remember that Ford teased at DC vehicle-to-vehicle charging?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Am I incorrect to remember that Ford teased at DC vehicle-to-vehicle charging?
Iā€™m not sure if Ford implied that or not, but it would require some expensive hardware for a marginal use case.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
So what is that adaptor.. a 4 prong 30 amp (240 volt) to 14-50 nema (w/ neutral)? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Ad...ocphy=9022395&hvtargid=pla-349051757259&psc=1

I need to pick up one incase I need to save the wife lol.
I was looking for something like that. A lot of YouTube reviewers said there was already one in the Frunk and even the Tesla adapter, so I expected to find one in my Frunk. I guess they just sent them to the reviewers for publicity.

Meanwhile, I ordered this one a few minutes ago, before I saw your link. I think it's the same, but with more amps?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R62R5YN/

Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
I was looking for something like that. A lot of YouTube reviewers said there was already one in the Frunk and even the Tesla adapter, so I expected to find one in my Frunk. I guess they just sent them to the reviewers for publicity.

Meanwhile, I ordered this one a few minutes ago, before I saw your link. I think it's the same, but with more amps?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R62R5YN/
Yea that looks like it'll work fine!

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Yea that looks like it'll work fine!
THANKS!

I think they should include stuff like that in the charger kit in the frunk. They only cost about $20, and V2V charging is definitely something useful.

I can definitely see a need to help somebody out who needs help.

Also... I think Ford should include a couple of adapters that people can use at RV parks to convert from the popular round plug to go into the charger.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
THANKS!

I think they should include stuff like that in the charger kit in the frunk. They only cost about $20, and V2V charging is definitely something useful.

I can definitely see a need to help somebody out who needs help.

Also... I think Ford should include a couple of adapters that people can use at RV parks to convert from the popular round plug to go into the charger.
The only problem is L2 charging is considered a continuous load and should be derated by 20%ā€¦30A to 24A.

The Parkworld L14-30P to 14-50R adapter (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQFN8RK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1) that @Ford Motor Company recommends in their Mobile Charger documentation even has a warning (Blue label around the circumference) on it to restrict EV charging to 24A. Ironicall, that prohibits using the Fordā€˜s own Mobile Charger as it has a fixed 30A draw at 240V.šŸ¤”

Last edited:

Simpso57

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I am waiting for you experts to reach a consensus about which adapter I need.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I am waiting for you experts to reach a consensus about which adapter I need.
It depends on what you want/how you want to use the power from the truck. Iā€™m no expertā€¦I just read and digest it. As for my post to this thread, I just restated comments that started back on post #6ā€¦I just qualified the issue raised about max amperage when charging another RV with documentation labeled on the very adapter Ford recommends to use.

The adapter recommendation needs (and hasā€¦so I bought one) to come from @Ford Motor Company as they are the one who promoted the vehicle charging capability of the Lightning ProPower, showed it off at one of their events, recommended the Parkworld 30A rated adapter with 24A EV charging limitation to use, designed their mobile charger to operate at 30A@240V, and designed the ProPower system. Ultimately, it may be safe to do so for occasional short charging durations, but Ford should explicitly say soā€¦ā€¦.

Iā€™m not trying to be snarky hereā€¦I just can read. I love my truck, feel Ford engineers designed a great vehicle, and Fordā€™s assembly workers have done a great job putting it all together. I just think the engineers, the marketing team and those who put the manuals together locked a little communication somewhere along the wayā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
It depends on what you want/how you want to use the power from the truck. Iā€™m no expertā€¦I just read and digest it. As for my post to this thread, I just restated comments that started back on post #6ā€¦I just qualified the issue raised about max amperage when charging another RV with documentation labeled on the very adapter Ford recommends to use.

The adapter recommendation needs (and hasā€¦so I bought one) to come from @Ford Motor Company as they are the one who promoted the vehicle charging capability of the Lightning ProPower, showed it off at one of their events, recommended the Parkworld 30A rated adapter with 24A EV charging limitation to use, designed their mobile charger to operate at 30A@240V, and designed the ProPower system. Ultimately, it may be safe to do so for occasional short charging durations, but Ford should explicitly say soā€¦ā€¦.

Iā€™m not trying to be snarky hereā€¦I just can read. I love my truck, feel Ford engineers designed a great vehicle, and Fordā€™s assembly workers have done a great job putting it all together. I just think the engineers, the marketing team and those who put the manuals together locked a little communication somewhere along the wayā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
They definitely should put some details about things like this somewhere online for clarification.

One thing I know is that these types of plugs and adapters is that they're pretty much passive. The power ratings are based on the thickness of the wires and insulation which determine how much power they can allow through safely without overheating or throwing a circuit breaker. So, as a rule of thumb, thicker wires and larger amp ratings will cover everything, provided the devices don't pull more than that rating.

Regardless of which dongle/adapter we get, we definitely will need to know if the charger they give us in the frunk falls within the capabilities of the ports in the back of the truck. I've got the 9.6k (7.2 in the back), so it would be great to know if it works by simply plugging it in, or if we need to configure something on the display. Perhaps Ford can clarify this.
Sponsored