• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Seems like a great use of time to walk the pups while charging. Grab a snack and then go crush another couple hundred miles.

OP
OP
Speeddemon

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
Exactly my wife was saying she didn’t mind the stopping at all because it was the perfect amount of time to walk The dogs and take care of them. Use the restroom, get snacks stretch the legs.

I’m really hoping Ford can improve the max charging speeds to 250kw, that would be extremely helpful since the battery pack is so large. your kw charging speeds also needed to be visible on the dash. Right now that info is not visible anywhere.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
your kw charging speeds also needed to be visible on the dash. Right now that info is not visible anywhere.
This for sure. It’s crazy that you have to rely on the hard to read chargers screen. The charge rate should be in the app and on the screen while fast charging.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
One of the reasons my wife is excited for the truck. I’m notorious for not wanting to stop on a road trip so the truck will force me too a little more often

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Thanks for posting this. It seems like the navigation system was pretty accurate on the charging calculations and you didn't exactly slow down to accommodate the truck. Was the third EA stop also a 350 kW dispenser?

OP
OP
Speeddemon

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
Glad people enjoyed it! Charging stop calculations were accurate. I believe all stops had 2 350k dispensers and 2 150kw. Since they weren’t busy I plugged into the 350kw, but the truck maxes out at 165kw. This really needs to bump up to 250kw in my opinion.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Glad people enjoyed it! Charging stop calculations were accurate. I believe all stops had 2 350k dispensers and 2 150kw. Since they weren’t busy I plugged into the 350kw, but the truck maxes out at 165kw. This really needs to bump up to 250kw in my opinion.

I enjoyed the video. Thanks.

I noticed you were quite frequently at 75-78mph and still managed 2.0 mi/Kwh. I drive all over the mid Atlantic from DC to NC, SC and Jekyll Island Ga. I cruise closer to 70mph so this gives me hope that I may be able to get 2.1-2.2 mi/Kw at the lower speeds.

OP
OP
Speeddemon

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
I typically get 2.2-2.3 with mix of city and highway. I did put a fold up tonneau cover from Amazon $300 for The trip. However I was allegedly speeding most of the trip so I think that reduced efficiency

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, Tesla Model Y
Didn’t look like you were getting the Electrify America Member rate of .31/kWH. Any reason you decided to not sign up for that? We have been Tesla people for the past 6 years with our Model S having free lifetime and our Y being charge whatever the Supercharger rate is at the time we charge. I assume on longer road trips the $4 membership is completely worth it. We are planning on taking our Lightening on a 2 month cross US trip so I’ve been researching our charging options. EA seems to be where we will most likely charge up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Speeddemon

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
Great question. Ford gave us 250kw of free charging. In order to use the free charging you have to activate the charger through the Ford app. This trip was actually entirely free charging I think until the last stop we paid part of the cost - $10.

We did sign up for the electrify America membership. However I did make a mistake, hopefully others can learn from. On our way home I would simultaneously swipe to activate the charger and plug in at the same time. I realized later we were getting billed through ford at the higher kw rate. You need to swipe to activate the charger first and wait a moment before plugging into the truck to ensure you get billed through electrify America. Little nuance that cost us probably $15 difference in charging.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
agreed, and my experience with EA and our older Nissan Leafs was the confusion of what the exact process is to start charging. Sometimes you would plug in, then realize that you have to 'activate' the charger first. But, then the charger gets confused and the screen tells you to plug in, when you're already plugged in. So, then you hang up the plug, take it back off, then plug in. But, then the charger is now really confused.
Yes, there should be a more 'intuitive' method to charging, whether you plug in first, or not, should not 'confuse' the charger.
I DO like that at least EA chargers have not only a screen, but also some physical buttons, AND a card scanner.

Now, as for ChargePoint chargers, you can't even activate them without the ChargePoint APP - so you start to realize that there's no reason to even get out of your car until you do. There is a screen, and it may provide instructions once the APP has connected and your payment or account has been authorized, but there are NO physical buttons to do Anything - it's all either thru the APP, or thru the charger's Screen. A 'screen only' input is hazardous, as I found out one day. The ChargePoint unit would NOT let me stop the charging, or unplug from my car! It held me hostage, all the while charging me for more charge time. It took me 15minutes to get anyone from ChargePoint on the phone, and to have them figure out how to STOP the charger and let me go.

After using Tesla SuperChargers across the south from Georgia to Texas and back, I can attest that Tesla has the simplest and easiest and quickest charging system currently available. You don't need a credit card. You don't need a screen. You don't need anything other than to plug in. Simple... and they just work.

I think with 'Plug N Charge' technology, we will slowly move toward that same type of charging option with most other manufacturers - but time will tell. Make it easy. Make it fast. Make it simple.

JacksonHandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, previous GTI and F150 SCREW Lariat 3.5eco
I made much the same trip, ATL to Fripp Island, just north. 2.0-2.1 mi/kWh at 70-75. Truck said could get all the way to savannah/pooler EA charger, but buffer started going down quickly to under 20 miles, so stopped at Mettler ChargePoint/GA Power for bathroom break and a get there charge. Had originally planned on Dublin for lunch, but was in use by Audi Etron. Did have a charge error, but had gotten enough charge to continue, so we bailed.

easy trip.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Feel free to bring the truck and the dogs to the shore.

;)

I used to make a similar trip all the time back in my college days. Ah...95.

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
What was your total cost to travel the 600 miles? About $110?
Sponsored