• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Because:
- Actual practical range is less than the EPA’s range (I have stop-n-go traffic, not really light footed and have mountains to climb)
- Degradation of charge capacity
- Safety margin: unexpected road closure, power outage, plan change, needing a little around town before stopping at destination.

So I will revise... I want a 450 mile practical range (600 mile advertised).

Also, if it takes you 10 hours to drive 600 miles then you probably will get the EPA’s estimate. Please stay in the slow lane though as even the semis will be passing you.

Charge at the motel? You do realize that most motels don’t have charge stations and if they do it’s usually only one or two stalls? Good luck with that. I already drive by those stalls and they are filled plus two more EVs stopped nearby waiting.
Interesting. I drive my Mach E from MD to FL and back and had no problem charging in the hotels.
Sponsored

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT | 2018 Tesla Model 3
With today’s battery tech, no. But I believe we will get there in the next 10 years.
Amazingly, I think we’re closer than most realize. Technically, the Cybertruck will get 500 miles+, if that ever comes to fruition though towing will cut that drastically. I’d bet we see 600+ miles in two to three years.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Amazingly, I think we’re closer than most realize. Technically, the Cybertruck will get 500 miles+, if that ever comes to fruition though towing will cut that drastically. I’d bet we see 600+ miles in two to three years.
As the charging infrastructure builds out, charging speed will beat out range as the most desirable feature. There's little need for a 600+ mile range in an electric car, not much more in trucks except long-haulers.

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Tesla is known to be a bit, shall we say, "liberal" in the range rating department, and Edmunds did a pretty solid test here of all the available EVs: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

Despite the fact that at the surface, the tests "should" be precise between manufacturers since it's a standardized test create by the EPA, it is possible to optimize for the EPA cycle and the manufacturers are the ones that ultimately execute the protocol so they can create small advantages while staying within the rules. I was actually a bit surprised to learn this.

There's some rather disconcerting info on another auto publication that my Google-Fu failed to find, but basically Tesla said the range rating was if you "ran until empty," which their warranty expressly states is a means for permanently invalidating the warranty. The other manufactures had some buffer past the EPA rated range.

It's not VW "diesel-gate" level antics, but it seems to be a bit of "questionable optimization" and in most of the real-world and anecdotal testing, people don't get the EPA-rated range of Teslas, and conversely have been exceeding it in the Mach E and other OEMs.

I'm not a Tesla basher, I was actually just about to pull the trigger on a MY when I decided to go with a Powerboost until the Lightning hits the streets so I could try out "truck life" having never owned a pickup. I like a lot about the company and the innovation they pushed, but there's also a bit of a seedy side that turned me off along with the service growing pains.

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla is known to be a bit, shall we say, "liberal" in the range rating department, and Edmunds did a pretty solid test here of all the available EVs: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

Despite the fact that at the surface, the tests "should" be precise between manufacturers since it's a standardized test create by the EPA, it is possible to optimize for the EPA cycle and the manufacturers are the ones that ultimately execute the protocol so they can create small advantages while staying within the rules. I was actually a bit surprised to learn this.

There's some rather disconcerting info on another auto publication that my Google-Fu failed to find, but basically Tesla said the range rating was if you "ran until empty," which their warranty expressly states is a means for permanently invalidating the warranty. The other manufactures had some buffer past the EPA rated range.

It's not VW "diesel-gate" level antics, but it seems to be a bit of "questionable optimization" and in most of the real-world and anecdotal testing, people don't get the EPA-rated range of Teslas, and conversely have been exceeding it in the Mach E and other OEMs.

I'm not a Tesla basher, I was actually just about to pull the trigger on a MY when I decided to go with a Powerboost until the Lightning hits the streets so I could try out "truck life" having never owned a pickup. I like a lot about the company and the innovation they pushed, but there's also a bit of a seedy side that turned me off along with the service growing pains.
I hear ya, brother. I have a LR AWD Model 3 that will be replaced by one of these trucks, as I have reservations on both the Lightning and two Cybertrucks (a dual- and tri-motor. I can personally attest that Tesla's range isn't quite, um, honest, in normal conditions. It will probably trump most other automakers in EPA estimates, including Ford if we're doing and apples-to-apples comparisons, but that's certainly debatable as we can see from Mach-E and Taycan real-life range tests.

That whole range beyond zero idea is ridiculous, IMO. Can't imagine relying on an extra 40 miles or so beyond a zero percent display and it's funny Tesla got so huffy about that.

Sponsored

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Executive Director
As the charging infrastructure builds out, charging speed will beat out range as the most desirable feature. There's little need for a 600+ mile range in an electric car, not much more in trucks except long-haulers.
If you're charging to 80%, carrying a load (otherwise use a Blue Mark-E) then the bigger range is useful but not really essential.

I remember doing the 10 hour drive and half way through I would always stop to fill up, have a quick snack, pee and then coffee. Plus buy some snack's to keep me going in the car. Usually 25-30 mins to have bit of a wakeup break. 40 min charging is really adding max 10 mins to a half way break on a decent run. And at lightening speed, I could easily make up those 10 mins in the first half hour or so. By being quick, not by excessive speeding.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata, Tesla Model S
As more and more EV's are out there on the road people will learn some interesting facts about EV's. At todays charging speeds (even Tesla Superchargers) and on longer trips, it is faster overall to drive a little slower than you might otherwise. I am not talking under the speed limit but at the limit or+5 max. The consumption rate dramatically goes up at increased highway speeds. You can drive at a little more relaxed pace and charge less time or drive fast and spend more time charging.
Once ranges go up and/or charging speeds increase then it will be just like a gas vehicle. You will still have the increased consumption at higher speeds but it won't matter too much to the average driver because they will still get to where they are going in a reasonable time.

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. I drive my Mach E from MD to FL and back and had no problem charging in the hotels.
I find charging at hotels and Level Two chargers in general to be very reliable. The DCFC chargers like EA and EVGo have routinely given me issues and until that’s improved tremendously, it’ll unfortunately be a nasty barrier to widespread EV adoption.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata, Tesla Model S
We had our first "adventurest" type of experience with charging recently. On a trip from Houston to South Padre Island (400 miles), we had our first Supercharger failure. We have to stop and charge twice for 20-30 minutes each to make the trip easily, once in Victoria and then again in Kingsville. At our first stop none of the eight Superchargers were working. We check the app for the closest level 2 charger and find one about 10 miles away but it would involve backtracking. We found another one about 30 miles in the correct direction but it would be a little risky to make it there. So we decide to backtrack. It's at a hotel and it's going to take about 4 hours to charge enough to get to Kingsville.

While charging, another car pulls in with the same issue but going the other way. After about two hours charging we check the app and see that the Superchargers are working again. Do we stay for two more hours here and get enough charge to Kingsville or risk trying the Supercharger again. We decide to risk it and yes they were working. We Supercharged for another 15 minutes and off to Kingsville to continue the trip. So it "only" added a couple of hours to our trip but it could have been much worse.

Even Tesla's network of chargers is not quite there yet. It's much, much better than the one Ford was touting at the reveal. Anyone that buys electric in the near future should consider themselves early adopters and be prepared for some inconveniences compared to gas. Are they worth it overall to you? That's an individualized question. For us it is a yes.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
We had our first "adventurest" type of experience with charging recently. On a trip from Houston to South Padre Island (400 miles), we had our first Supercharger failure. We have to stop and charge twice for 20-30 minutes each to make the trip easily, once in Victoria and then again in Kingsville. At our first stop none of the eight Superchargers were working. We check the app for the closest level 2 charger and find one about 10 miles away but it would involve backtracking. We found another one about 30 miles in the correct direction but it would be a little risky to make it there. So we decide to backtrack. It's at a hotel and it's going to take about 4 hours to charge enough to get to Kingsville.

While charging, another car pulls in with the same issue but going the other way. After about two hours charging we check the app and see that the Superchargers are working again. Do we stay for two more hours here and get enough charge to Kingsville or risk trying the Supercharger again. We decide to risk it and yes they were working. We Supercharged for another 15 minutes and off to Kingsville to continue the trip. So it "only" added a couple of hours to our trip but it could have been much worse.

Even Tesla's network of chargers is not quite there yet. It's much, much better than the one Ford was touting at the reveal. Anyone that buys electric in the near future should consider themselves early adopters and be prepared for some inconveniences compared to gas. Are they worth it overall to you? That's an individualized question. For us it is a yes.
Totally agree. We were very early adopters, with our first Tesla in Feb 2013, before any Superchargers, so on road trips spent a lot of time napping in RV parks & marinas. I still have a huge box of never-used adapters from that era. These days Superchargers are fairly ubiquitous, so we make about the same speeds between locales from upstate NY to South Florida, whether in the truck or in the Tesla. My wife prefers the Tesla because it guarantees a pee break every 3-4 hours.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I laugh when I read some makers install sound effects do the electric motors sound like real engines. Pathetic. Reminds me of putting playing cars or balloons in my bicycle spokes.
It's no different than putting an exhaust on a car and all it does is make it louder without going faster. In this case, it doesn't open up the flow but serves the same purpose.... to make noise so people can turn their heads..... the best part, that electric car can spank about 99% of the cars out there.

Fast150EV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Lariat, 2022 F150 Lariat EV
I drive between Austin and DFW/Houston/OKC a couple time a month - usually 1 day up and next day back. All the roads between these cites are 70+ mph. I got the ER for this reason, but still interested to see how this is all going to pan out.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
It sounds like you have special needs and a solution to those needs in your garage. There will likely never be a 600 mile range EV.

1. 2021 Tesla Model S Performance all-wheel drive with 19-inch wheels: 387 miles

2. 2021 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus RWD: 371 miles

3. 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD: 353 miles

4. 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD: 326 miles

5. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD California Route 1: 305 miles

6. 2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV: 259 miles

7. 2021 Hyundai Kona Electric: 258 miles

8. 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 1st Edition RWD: 250 miles

9. 2021 Polestar 2: 233 miles

10. 2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Battery Plus: 227 miles
If you got the cash...BMW iX is at 320mi. Mercedes EQS sedan at 350mi+ with the SUV over 300mi.

Fisker claims their Ocean SUV will get 340/350mi....we shall see

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

OK..I had to laugh at the Cybertruck getting 500mi....

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I just drove the Model 3 Long-Range from Huntsville AL to San Antonio over two days and found that the ~350 range was pretty close, with mostly 60-75 average speeds on mostly interstates and with a LOT of side/head wind the second day(today). I found the superchargers to all work just fine, though, like anything, I find it interesting where they are sometimes located, but that goes for any chargers. The one next to SONIC today was a good spot for lunch. The last one today was behind a hotel, near nothing else 'retail' in walking distance. Several were behind large Malls, but not really 'interstate' friendly with all of the streets/roads required to maneuver to them, and not really that 'near' any bathroom or food, etc.
I think these things will improve over time, but the property owners have to see the value in putting up the money to sponsor these, and they certainly will over time.

I like something that Elon said a while back, after announcing that they were contemplating a vehicle with over 600 mile range: maybe 600 miles is too much - the battery pack size and weight almost makes no sense to carry around on a regular 'every day' basis, otherwise. I might just be on to something. With charging options becoming more prevalent and faster, it might make sense. My Ford Focus has only about a 10 gallon tank, if that. It doesn't need a bigger one, or to haul around that much more fuel, since it gets close to 50 miles per gallon.

We'll see how this all comes to fruition in the future, although there are likely other options that none of us yet know about, or haven't come to market yet. We ARE in a change.
Sponsored