• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 1993 F-150 XL 2WD
Occupation
Sustainable Landscape Design & Install
Ok, we have over 500 miles under our belts with our Lariat and are starting to get the feel for this machine. We’re seeing avg mi/kWh in the 1.8-2.2 on highway (avg speed of 70 mph) and 2.8-3.4 in town (speeds varying 25-50 mph).

Love, LOVE the hands free “Blue Cruise,” but still need to play with it a bit more. I like that it truly is hands free so long as you’re looking ahead. I like that it accelerates when changing lanes instead of hesitating like auto pilot does on Tesla. I like that it doesn’t try to maintain the middle of an unmarked/unlined merge lane. I didn’t experience the jockeying that @oneguynick experienced…so no nausea here 🤞🏼.

This thing is POWERFUL! I took some friends for a test drive yesterday and even I, as a former Model 3 owner, was BLOWN AWAY by the torque! It continues to pull hard well beyond posted speed limits (which, I, of course didn’t exceed 😇). Case I point: one of my favorite tricks in the Model 3 was to stomp on the “go” pedal at 40/45 mph and hear the gasps for air from my occupants. Never once did I hear tire squeal from it. The Lightning, on the other hand, spins the fronts when I attempt that. BE FOREWARNED—make sure to keep both hands on the wheel; the torque steer threw me for a loop when I was one-handing it. I predict lots of crashes if people aren’t mindful of the power this thing has. Oh, and this was all in “Normal” mode, too 😂🤣😆

In preparation for the rides yesterday, I took it to a touchfree car wash to clean off some of the bugs and mess from our first trip over the weekend. The “mega power frunk” stayed nice and dry inside, but the interior fenders were splashed/wet. I don’t think it’ll be a concern, but as a handyman, I intend to keep tools up there on the daily. (See pics)

Finally, it’s going to take some getting used to if you’re coming from Tesla. (We traded our Model 3 in and are no longer Tesla owners). And this is just one use case *with a brand new truck*. I accept my husband and I are early adopters and trust this will get better with time.

We left our cottage in SW MI with enough projected range to get to a DC Fast charger along our route (roughly 50% battery or 139 miles of projected range). When entering I-94, the navigation had us stopping at an EA Charger in Evergreen Park IL with a delta of 20 or so miles. Sunday was a very windy day and we were driving SW into SW winds—massive headwind. While we got 2.2 mi/kWh going up to the cottage on Saturday, our efficiency was shrinking to 1.6/1.8 during this leg of the journey. As we started driving home, the projected range and destination delta began shrinking significantly.

Here’s where I missed our Model 3. We’d normally top up at a supercharger before hitting the road (our cottage doesn’t even have grounded outlets so charging wasn’t happening there). The supercharger network made traveling so simple in a Tesla. We do lots of road-trips each year and have taken our Model 3 to all of them since purchasing in 2018.

As we were nearing the Indiana state line, the nav system began redirecting us 34 miles in another redirection to a DC Fast Charger along I-80 (we were traveling along I-94). We were basically in a DC Fast Charger dead zone. First, we hopped on PlugShare to see what nearby chargers existed. We found a Chargepoint charger at the next exit and headed that way. Upon arrival, we watched a Mach-E plug into the only CCS at that station. He planned on being there for 20 minutes. Impatience got the better of us so we decided to head to the next nearest “fast charger” which brought us to a travel stop on I-80 East (yes, opposite from our destination). After 38 minutes, we only mustered 62 miles and plugged in our route home, which still took us farther East to a DC Fast Charger in South Bend. They’re, we used 62 or 63 kWh of our 250 kWh balance from the Blue Oval network and did a plug and charge. Tty minutes later we added 142 miles which was plenty to get us home. What’s typically a 2.5 hour ride, turned into a 4.5+ hour trek home.

I admit I was frustrated. Was it the sunburn? Was I hangry? Did I contemplate pulling over and listing on carsandbids.com? Yes. It’s just the trade-off of being an early adopter in a vehicle that’s still getting used to us.

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) 6EC8B897-76CF-439A-BDCC-B18D0BE3CDE2

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) E58B87B8-AE8C-4406-8AEC-D8DDF643B47F

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) 132B11BF-8289-4ADB-9A75-E3C6521471EE

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) 15B0A9C9-2E98-4D1F-8A0D-360B059FF88A

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) 9C47D4BF-CBC5-492C-BAD0-E19A751C6F0E

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) D0F864CA-225B-4F2E-A1D7-9263760FE583

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) 00742184-41BB-4BBF-9DA1-6842CE2E9796

Ford F-150 Lightning Initial driving review impressions (Lightning Lariat OWNER) 5274334B-D46D-450E-AB96-046F2C5E96A0

edit: updated tag for @oneguynick.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silent_Thunder

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Please excuse the typos!

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Sounds like a good trip in your new lightning. I still have a long wait so congratulation to you both. I will only drive mostly local and a few trips 90 miles one way from Riverside CA to San Diego CA, also oy 14 miles round trip to work so the range will be just fine for me. Are you loving that color?

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Thanks for the info!

Is the utility locate because you are upgrading your power?

OP
OP
Silent_Thunder

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sounds like a good trip in your new lightning. I still have a long wait so congratulation to you both. I will only drive mostly local and a few trips 90 miles one way from Riverside CA to San Diego CA, also oy 14 miles round trip to work so the range will be just fine for me. Are you loving that color?
You’ll really enjoy it, I’m sure! Plenty of range for your use case.
Yes, even as I was walking out of trivia tonight, I noticed the color in the headlights of another car and commented to my group how happy I am with the color!
When we bought our 2017, we really wanted the Blie Jeans color but settled for whatever the gray was. I might even like antimatter blue more than the blue jeans!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Silent_Thunder

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for the info!

Is the utility locate because you are upgrading your power?
No, our block is switching over to city water (on a private well now).

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Ha, main reason I want the HIS is to keep my well pump going. Not a problem in a city.

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
Unfortunately you really need to use something like abrp and plug share and plan your trip before you go. You need to make sure the chargers you need to stop at aren't busted. I have a Tesla at this moment as well, and am preparing myself for a much more frustrating charging experience.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
With regards to the charging problem, this is definitely the reality of owning an EV that’s not a Tesla.

You have to use multiple apps on your phone before your trip to plan everything out. ABRP for routing, Plugshare to verify the chargers that ABRP has picked out for you, a myriad of other apps for whatever charging network is near you etc. It’s a complete shit show.

Personally, at least in the Northeast, Tesla and DCFC chargers are pretty similar with sometimes chargers right next to each other in the same lot.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Love, LOVE the hands free “Blue Cruise,” but still need to play with it a bit more. I like that it truly is hands free so long as you’re looking ahead. I like that it accelerates when changing lanes instead of hesitating like auto pilot does on Tesla. I like that it doesn’t try to maintain the middle of an unmarked/unlined merge lane. I didn’t experience the jockeying that “OneGuyNick” experienced…so no nausea here 🤞🏼.

5274334B-D46D-450E-AB96-046F2C5E96A0.jpeg
CONGRATULATIONS!

I've always been a but intimidated with giving up control of driving... especially letting go of the steering wheel. I think it will be a few years before I get used to the idea of that, but I love the idea of a vehicle that will take control if I'm not paying attention to avoid an accident.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
CONGRATULATIONS!

I've always been a but intimidated with giving up control of driving... especially letting go of the steering wheel. I think it will be a few years before I get used to the idea of that, but I love the idea of a vehicle that will take control if I'm not paying attention to avoid an accident.
It took me about a month to become comfortable with semi-autonomous driving. I still don't trust it implicitly (nobody should), but it no longer makes me nervous. It can react faster than I can in cases of emergency stops, and in situations where I feel it would be over its head, I'll either cancel it altogether or I'll prepare myself to take over. Some friends of mine still doesn't even like to use TACC (traffic aware cruise control) though, so everyone is different.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Do you frequent hands free car washes? I go a few times a week and that was one of my questions- would the truck hold up equally as a standard truck

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Do you frequent hands free car washes? I go a few times a week and that was one of my questions- would the truck hold up equally as a standard truck
I wouldn't worry. The area on the frunk that had moisture is the same area that gets wet in a car trunk or SUV hatch after rain or a car wash. There are gaskets around the frunk to protect the interior, just like you'd see in a car trunk.

Last edited:

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Very good write up. Congratulations on an amazing truck. I'm going that my truck will get shipped one of these weeks.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
It took me about a month to become comfortable with semi-autonomous driving. I still don't trust it implicitly (nobody should), but it no longer makes me nervous. It can react faster than I can in cases of emergency stops, and in situations where I feel it would be over its head, I'll either cancel it altogether or I'll prepare myself to take over. Some friends of mine still doesn't even like to use TACC (traffic aware cruise control) though, so everyone is different.
I feel the same way.

Ford's choice of names sums up what I feel... "Co-Pilot". I don't need a fully autonomous pilot, but a co-pilot makes me feel safer behind the wheel.

I've heard too many stories about people who fall asleep at the wheel or get into accidents because they weren't paying attention.

I'm definitely a big fan of Ford's entry level automation... Adaptive Cruse Control and Collision Avoidance.

I saw the benefits of driver assistance firsthand just 3 days after I got my Mach-E, when a car on my left was T-Boned by somebody running a red light. My Mach-E detected the other car entering my lane and it took control of the wheel and the accelerator and moved me out of the way.
Sponsored