• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm sure I'll get blasted, but I don't believe the cybertruck will ever get produced in it's current form for under $100k. Especially if they are going to give it 500 miles of range.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
if it actually has 500 miles of range for the same price as a lightning you'll have to give it some credit! It'll be the only EV truck that can actually tow long distance with reliable chargers.
If you believe the CT will make it to market with 500mi and under $100k I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Overpromise and underdeliver..its the Tesla way!!

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I'm sure I'll get blasted, but I don't believe the cybertruck will ever get produced in it's current form for under $100k. Especially if they are going to give it 500 miles of range.
I'm guessing closer to $125k

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Overpromise and underdeliver..its the Tesla way!!
Personally, I don't think the cybertruck will get produced in it's current form at all. I don't see them being able to manufacture those body panels in any sort of volume.
But that's a whole other conversation.

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Personally, I don't think the cybertruck will get produced in it's current form at all. I don't see them being able to manufacture those body panels in any sort of volume.
But that's a whole other conversation.
IDRA 9000T press says otherwise

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
It is somewhat disappointing that Ford made no effort to cater towards people with real towing needs. The base battery should be 131kWh and the extended battery should be 200kWh (or more). I'm surprised that I never see people asking for a bigger battery in these and other forums.

This product needs to be exceptional, not just adequate, because for many people, this truck will set their perception on the reality of EV readiness. Instead of the discussion always swinging towards range anxiety, it would be better if people were amazed at how well it tows with decent range so that the delta from gas truck towing wasn't so large.

I think we all understand that in its current form, the Lightning is a suburban, commuter, light duty truck with the ability to tow short distances, and that will be enough for a lot of people.

But if GM can put 200kWh in the Silverado EV, then Ford can too. If GM can charge at 350kWs then Ford can tool. Lastly, fix the EA chargers (or use Tesla's) and suddenly you have very little reason to not want an EV truck.
IMHO, waiting for the next best thing in EV trucks will only leave you waitingā€¦.in other words: ā€œHe who hesitates, is lostā€. Fordā€™s Lightning, despite its warts, meets the current needs of a segment of the current market (not medium/long distance towing) and performs very well.

You can speculate that Chevy will catch/surpass Ford with the Silverado in ~ a year, but Ford will have two years of experipence under its belt and will probably benefit from some yet unwritten form of Mooreā€™s Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law) that will come to fruition for EV truck development/manufacturing. My only caveat is I donā€™t expect the costs of any vehicle, EV or ICE, to go down in relation to personal income any time soon

My takeā€¦.if you have the need, and if the Lightning fitsā€¦buy it. Waiting will only leave one ā€œlostā€ā€¦..or, just lastā€¦..

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Exactly. They can only make about 10% of the volume that they can the ice version and they'll sell all of those. They don't really need it to meet the needs of every use case right now. I agree that in the short term, vehicle prices are only going to increase, however in the long term, EV prices should come down to be in line with where ice is priced. The lightning is pretty close but as we all know, that $40k truck was barely made and no longer exists. Hopefully as they get up to that 150k per year rate and into the 2nd generation, the lower trims will be readily available.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yeah I should get my Lariat ER this year and probably won't flip it. It will handle what I need because I don't tow long distances.

Silverado EV will offer 200kWh but we don't know at what price. Lightning depreciation fully depends on future pricing of the big battery trucks (Silverado, Cybertruck, etc.).

I think Ford/GM could profitably sell a base 200kWh truck for 65K. A modern v8 powertrain with auto trans and all the related parts is probably around 15K wholesale. 200kWh of batteries plus electric motors and electrical parts is probably 25-30K wholesale, so going electric should only add about 10-15K to the cost of manufacturing.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Yeah I should get my Lariat ER this year and probably won't flip it. It will handle what I need because I don't tow long distances.

Silverado EV will offer 200kWh but we don't know at what price. Lightning depreciation fully depends on future pricing of the big battery trucks (Silverado, Cybertruck, etc.).

I think Ford/GM could profitably sell a base 200kWh truck for 65K. A modern v8 powertrain with auto trans and all the related parts is probably around 15K wholesale. 200kWh of batteries plus electric motors and electrical parts is probably 25-30K wholesale, so going electric should only add about 10-15K to the cost of manufacturing.
You also have to take into account that 200kwh of batteries is extremely heavy. You need to have a stronger frame, larger axles and brakes, beefier suspension components and so on.
The hummer EV weighs some 9000 lbs and essentially an HD truck underneath.

Also Ford claims the $6-8k price increases were mainly due to battery materials cost. Double the battery and they would have had to double the price increase. So your $40k truck just went up to $48k. Then add on another $20k for double the battery. There's $68k. Then add another $8k for the increase cost on the double battery. You're looking at $75k. People spending that much want the leather seats and technology and all that, so there's another $5k or something. So ya you're looking at $80k to get into that truck and that's with almost no profit margin. Add in 30% and tah dah, you've got your $105k or whatever for the launch edition Silverado.
Sponsored