• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Flat Tow the Lightning- Towed by RV??

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
(not applicable for long distance RV towing) but if you have the F150L in D or L with a tow bar, I fail to see how flat towing in this mode is different from going downhill for a long period of time. (disclaimer: I have never towed a vehicle, consult an expert, I’m just another idiot on the internet) I don’t know about the drag on the towing vehicle in D or L, safety around turns, etc, but at least to generate a short term charge it seems possible, but you better have a powerful tow vehicle. Darren Palmer of Ford talks about it a bit here:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/how-to-flat-tow-recharge-electric-vehicles/
I think the difference would be having the vehicle on vs having it off.
I know the issue with most vehicles that cannot be flat towed is that the transmission and differential will not be properly lubricated while the vehicle is off.

I would also be curious to see how attempting to tow it and recarge via regen would impact the fuel economy of the tow vehicle. You will have to use more additional energy than you will ever recoup.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CoyoteChaser

CoyoteChaser

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Right now I tow my 3650 lb Mustang, on a 2000 lb trailer, behind my E450 class C motor home (rated for towing 7500 lbs). I flat towed my 8000 lb F250 back from the dealership, when I first purchased my camper, so I should be able to tow the F150, as long as it's free wheeling!
I've always wanted a Ford Lighting and the news ones, in my opinion, are just as cool as the old ones!!

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
so I should be able to tow the F150, as long as it's free wheeling!
It probably won't be able to freewheel.
If I understand the drivetrain correctly, there is the electric motor connected to a fixed ratio reduction gear that connects to the differential. I don't believe there is any way to disconnect it. The mustang mach-e owners manual says that you cannot recreational tow the vehicle with all 4 wheels on the ground.
I would imagine that the overall design of the lightning drivetrain will be similar to the mach-e and therefore will probably also be specifically stated to not tow the vehicle will the wheels on the ground.
There is an emergency towing mode that the vehicle can be put into that will allow flat towing at less than 35 mph for up to 50 miles. That's not going to be very useful behind an RV.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
When I had a catastrophic tire blown on my PHEV, the manual said no wheels on the ground so no front lift tow.

Had to have a flat bed tow truck pull it onto the bed.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
My current EV will put on the brakes if it thinks it is running for no reason. There is a car wash mode but not sure at what speed one can tow.
I guess one could figure out a way but how seemingly expensive would it be to tow a truck just to charge it?

Sponsored

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
When I had a catastrophic tire blown on my PHEV, the manual said no wheels on the ground so no front lift tow.

Had to have a flat bed tow truck pull it onto the bed.

Likewise with my Ford Focus Electric. With no spare and slimed tires not holding pressure I had to get a bed tow. Also when the main battery failed had to put it in neutral and roll it down the drive to get it onto the flat bed to tow it to dealer.

I have heard of people freeway towing with power on to regen a tesla but I'm sure its doing more harm than good and the tow companies are familiar with sending a flat bed when they hear its an electric vehicle.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Same here. I've had about three or four tows in the last 10 years or so, and every single one of them were flat beds.
In the Dallas area the only time I see non-flat bed towing is when they have one on the bed and another behind. Then also repo trucks (guess they wanna hook up fast and get outta there).

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Of all the silly patents. Ford did one that has a way to flat tow and charge, but it really showed two rear tires on ground. I guess if you have a diesel you can pull charge it. Why don't they put a lawn mower pull cord to charge it or a bicycle gizmo like Gilligan had.

Had to have my wife's suv towed. The truck took 4 hours of course. Then the guy just dragged it up the oil covered bed. I guess when they get the higher paying wreck, that car is dripping oils all over the bed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
Just like the Mustang Mach E, Ford says no flat- or dolly-towing except in emergencies and for short range. The Ford source material was posted in another Lightning Forum.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Tow companies also need to know how to disable HV and it's a good thing to read about in manual once one gets this truc.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Maybe somebody could build lockout hubs for all 4 wheels for flat towing the Lightning?

I think the problem is one of overheating the motors. The parasitic losses at highway speed will generate a significant amount of heat and they will overheat if not actively cooled.
Sponsored