• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Flat Tow the Lightning- Towed by RV??

CoyoteChaser

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
I've been searching for information on the ability of pulling the 2022 Lighting behind my RV with all 4 tires on the ground!
Can anyone share information concerning this topic??
Sponsored

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
The Lightning has permanent magnet motors which are not suitable for flat towing. Since the motor always rotates when the wheels rotate it is either being driven (electricity supplied to the motor) or generating (electricity coming from the motor). There is no neutral with a permanent magnet motor.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've been searching for information on the ability of pulling the 2022 Lighting behind my RV with all 4 tires on the ground!
Can anyone share information concerning this topic??
we don't have any specific information on the Lightning (unless I missed something), but this is explicitly forbidden on the Mach-e so I don't think it would be OK for the Lightning.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
You will have to trailer it. If you spin a PM motor it now becomes a generator. Can cause lots of damage electrically by back feeding power into the trucks systems.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It might be possible that the aftermarket could use Ford's own IWEs, which are now electro-magnetic, to disengage the wheels from the half shafts.

Otherwise, Ford would have had to designed some kind of clutch into the transaxles, which isn't cool these days.

Jeep's going in the other direction, their EV Wrangler concept keeps the entire legacy drivetrain and simply swaps out the V-6 engine for a low speed electric motor. Just keep the 6-speed manual in neutral and you'll be fine!

Sponsored
OP
OP
CoyoteChaser

CoyoteChaser

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
It might be possible that the aftermarket could use Ford's own IWEs, which are now electro-magnetic, to disengage the wheels from the half shafts.

Otherwise, Ford would have had to designed some kind of clutch into the transaxles, which isn't cool these days.

Jeep's going in the other direction, their EV Wrangler concept keeps the entire legacy drivetrain and simply swaps out the V-6 engine for a low speed electric motor. Just keep the 6-speed manual in neutral and you'll be fine!
LOL!
Thanks, but all my parking spots are reserved for Ford vehicles!!
However Jeeps are pretty cool (maybe I can park it at a friend's)!?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
If you're that hardcore, you can always just remove all the half shafts every time you tow. Otherwise, you're stuck having to get a trailer.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
What about a smaller issue... running it through an automated car wash? Usually have to put it in neutral for that.

HtownHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Kia Stinger GT2, 2018 BMW 540i M-Sport
What about a smaller issue... running it through an automated car wash? Usually have to put it in neutral for that.
You can put it in neutral and it will push it along generating a small amount of energy but the regen over 200 ft won’t be much. Flat towing 100’s of miles will overvolt so many things.

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning / 2023 6.7L Lariat F-350
Not an issue. There will be a temporary neutral mode for that.

Sponsored

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
It'll be a very short distance over extremely slow speeds, it should be fine in this scenario versus traveling hundreds of miles at 60+ MPH.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The Chevy Bolt has two ways to enter Neutral. One will be for only a few feet and parking brake will go in after some amount of length. The other is intended for car washes. I've not seen any EV that one can tow flat. If one disabled the 12v battery they might defeat things like wheel sensors and automatic brakes but my guess is you won't be able to flat tow at least in the first version. You won't be able to use a dolly either.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I swear I read something that said it could not flat tow but cannot find it again.

Maybe someone will come up with a creative way to disconnect the half-shafts quickly (or better still, electronically)

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The photos of front and back of truck make me think only a few brave would attempt some disconnect on all shafts. Just not a lot of room.

Last edited:

RidetheLightning

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max Energi,'22 F150L Plat 8/1 build date
(not applicable for long distance RV towing) but if you have the F150L in D or L with a tow bar, I fail to see how flat towing in this mode is different from going downhill for a long period of time. (disclaimer: I have never towed a vehicle, consult an expert, I’m just another idiot on the internet) I don’t know about the drag on the towing vehicle in D or L, safety around turns, etc, but at least to generate a short term charge it seems possible, but you better have a powerful tow vehicle. Darren Palmer of Ford talks about it a bit here:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/how-to-flat-tow-recharge-electric-vehicles/
Sponsored