• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charge Station Pro Installed Today - Problems

jdarmstrong

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F150 4.6L V8 FX2, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Senior Systems Administrator
I didn’t know you can derate via Ford Pass App, that’s cool!
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Wise choice. I did the same when my Teslatap mini converter adapter wouldn't work for my Tesla wall charger.

20220725_165517.jpeg
That looks like a gen 1 HPWC. I ran into a problem with it trying to charge my Lightning through the TeslaTap due to some J1772 incompatibilities... when set to 80A charging, the truck errored out. When set to 72A charging current, the truck saw the pilot signal as only 24A - and successively smaller settings generated even less current, all the way down to 12A.

Even the new chargers Tesla is using in their cars can't be charged with a gen 1 HPWC, it errors out on our new charger replacement in the 2016 Signature X (but it charged my 2012 Signature S, 2016 S and 2018 S just fine).

My TeslaTap was also defective initially, in that it didn't work at all on either gen 1 or gen 2, and after replacement I saw the pilot problems.

If that HPWC is set to 80A, that might be your problem?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
That looks like a gen 1 HPWC. I ran into a problem with it trying to charge my Lightning through the TeslaTap due to some J1772 incompatibilities... when set to 80A charging, the truck errored out. When set to 72A charging current, the truck saw the pilot signal as only 24A - and successively smaller settings generated even less current, all the way down to 12A.

Even the new chargers Tesla is using in their cars can't be charged with a gen 1 HPWC, it errors out on our new charger replacement in the 2016 Signature X (but it charged my 2012 Signature S, 2016 S and 2018 S just fine).

My TeslaTap was also defective initially, in that it didn't work at all on either gen 1 or gen 2, and after replacement I saw the pilot problems.

If that HPWC is set to 80A, that might be your problem?
yes, I sent the TeslaTap mini back to the guy who makes them and he tested it on his Lightning, worked fine with his Gen 1 charger. Both of mine are Gen 1's, very early production, upgraded with the 2013 recall. I believe they are both set at 80 amps. He is sending the adapter back and I will test setting the dip switches lower. He suggested trying 72, then 60, 48 to see where it kicks in. My '19 MX charged just fine up to 80 amps with both chargers, even though the one at my Florida place no longer shows any external lights, assume bad LED circuit. How do you know what the truck is seeing in terms of signal/amps available? I haven't seen any data like that despite looking for it - the only place I've been able to see charge rate/amps is on the DCFC when on the initial delivery road trip.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes, I sent the TeslaTap mini back to the guy who makes them and he tested it on his Lightning, worked fine with his Gen 1 charger. Both of mine are Gen 1's, very early production, upgraded with the 2013 recall. I believe they are both set at 80 amps. He is sending the adapter back and I will test setting the dip switches lower. He suggested trying 72, then 60, 48 to see where it kicks in. My '19 MX charged just fine up to 80 amps with both chargers, even though the one at my Florida place no longer shows any external lights, assume bad LED circuit. How do you know what the truck is seeing in terms of signal/amps available? I haven't seen any data like that despite looking for it - the only place I've been able to see charge rate/amps is on the DCFC when on the initial delivery road trip.
Mine was a 2012 vintage and I had to do the fuse change too, so we're probably pretty close to same manufacturing time.

My '16 X worked fine with it until the charger in the car failed and they replaced it last year with a newer generation 72A charger, then it gave me the red ring whenever I tried charging with the gen 1.

I can see my charge current via Torque Pro and my OBDLink MX+ dongle. See here: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ing-information-data-in-torque-pro-app.11243/

The only problem I have with it is that the current reported gets halved at 30A (when the second charger kicks in to split current). The truck ramps from 0A to 27A then jumps back to reporting 15A (although it's really 15A X 2 chargers, so 30), then makes its way up to fluctuate between 38A and 39A with the FCSP. when I tried to use my Gen 1 HPWC set to 72A, it would only go from 0 to 24 and then stop (dual chargers didn't kick in). I need to find a PID for dual charger activation.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I suspect your truck will probably charge on the Gen 1 set at 72A, but very very slowly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chemeng1661

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
OP here…I’m still struggling to get Siemens ( manufacturer of the FCSP) to replace my charger. I have a case open with Ford who is working with Siemens to get an RMA. The Ford rep indicated that there are at least 20 similar cases. Anyone on this forum having the same issue? SunRun is hands off now - they verified their installation and provided the evidence to Ford/Siemens. They are willing to reinstall the new charger when it is shipped to me.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
OP here…I’m still struggling to get Siemens ( manufacturer of the FCSP) to replace my charger. I have a case open with Ford who is working with Siemens to get an RMA. The Ford rep indicated that there are at least 20 similar cases. Anyone on this forum having the same issue? SunRun is hands off now - they verified their installation and provided the evidence to Ford/Siemens. They are willing to reinstall the new charger when it is shipped to me.
Once again this shows the sorry state of affairs with Sunrun. They send you a defective charger, they install it and it doesn’t work , and it’s your problem to get it replaced. They should have a spare in truck and not leave until it’s working and handle the RMA themselves. The management responsible at Ford or Sunrun that rolled out this crazy system should be reassigned or fired. Oh well. It will be worthwhile to have a backup 50A I think like others here have already done.

OP
OP
Chemeng1661

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
OP here… Ford shipped the new charger, SunRun installed the replacement charger. All is tested and working great.
Sponsored