• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Thanks for sharing. Too bad the Mach E forum has placed a giant watermark on the middle of each page in the document.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
On page 4:

" “Topping off” or “draining to 0%” every day can shorten high-voltage battery life, especially for all-electric vehicles "​

On page 5:
"Leave the vehicle plugged in, to top off the battery to 100%, whenever possible."​

On page 7 they come back to earth and say to charge to 90% every day which is sensible.

I wonder how the power curve of the F150 will be nerfed above 60mph or after a certain time period like the MME GT. Even the performance Teslas have a sloping power curve after 60-80mph (depending on the model) but the MME is certainly more dramatic. Granted the Lightning isn't designed to be a drag strip weapon, but hopefully highway passing ability is still very authoritative. It'd be nice to have the limit kick in on a time basis vs. speed so that full power is available even from 50-60mph.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I think you are referring to the EV motors that perform best near zero RPM and slowly loose efficiency at greater speeds. There is a lot of talk about installing transmissions to reduce that issue but a lot of power gets lost in a transmission.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
interesting read- that's the first place I've ever seen that recommended limiting fast DC charging. I didn't realize that stressed the battery system. I always thought bypassing the AC-DC converters was better for the system

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
It's not a question about bypassing the OBC, it's a question about the amount of current (stress) put into the cells. The testing I did on an early tesla cell mimicking the DCFC on a cell level was quite dramatic. Granted, that was akin to doing nothing but DCFC and then WOT (wide open throttle) until you needed to do another DCFC. The cells hit EOL (end of life) very quickly.

DCFC will stress the cells more than using Level 2 (even the 19.2 KW EVSE) just because the current levels are higher.
You sound pretty experienced with this, what are your thoughts on increased wear from using the procharger to charge from lets say 20%-90% daily? I drive 145 highway miles for work and trying to decide between sr or er. I live in the midwest so im pretty sure the SR will be cutting it close in the winter, probably even worse with daily charging.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

interesting read- that's the first place I've ever seen that recommended limiting fast DC charging. I didn't realize that stressed the battery system. I always thought bypassing the AC-DC converters was better for the system
That was news to me too. I’ve been using DC Combo fast charging on a BMW almost daily for 2 years and haven’t noticed any reduction in battery performance thus far. Good info

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
You sound pretty experienced with this, what are your thoughts on increased wear from using the procharger to charge from lets say 20%-90% daily? I drive 145 highway miles for work and trying to decide between sr or er. I live in the midwest so im pretty sure the SR will be cutting it close in the winter, probably even worse with daily charging.
This is using a completely different battery technology but for comparison sake I have (3) Teslas, all of which have lost roughly 10% of range after 5-7 years. It did seem to level off at about 10% but on the F-150 you're looking at 207 indicated range.

The big question is what is the real world efficiency going to be? On the Teslas I only get about 75% of indicated/rated range which if things are the same would indicate ~155 miles from 0-100% or 108 miles from 20-90%.

For the extra dollars you really dont want to find out in 3-5 years that your car can't get you to work anymore...

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
Okay, I have posted a couple times about range abd commutes. My friend...hear me out here plz...
If you are commuting 145 actual miles per day, you will benefit greatly from the ER version of the lightning. Believe me when I say that range cushion is a good thing. I too drive 100 miles just too and from work...if I need to run errands around town, I need more battery cushion. Please remember, a battery vehicle can require 80 miles of battery power to go say 50 actual road miles, possibly more when its really cold. I learned this a couple years ago when I had a model 3. There may be folks that may disagree with me on that number, but I know 1st hand that your time on the road means something. You will have times/situations where your truck will need more juice and you will wish you had more. I thought while charging that if I just had 70 more miles on my battery, I could've made it home to charge...nope, stuck at a charger for at least 30 minutes so I don't run out of juice. That's exactly why I'm going towards the Lariat ER. If I'm just in town driving...metro driver, sure the SR would be ok...but that's what I learned, so want to share my experience with you. Thanks for hearing me. Getting off my soap box...again!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
while your experience and thoughts are fair, I'm not going to have to pay an additional $10k, or in the case of upgrading to an ER battery from a PRO, maybe $15k or more, just to have some additional range for those VERY infrequent moments ... I also don't carry a gas can around with me in my gas vehicle for the same reason - it just does not happen enough to warrant such a big deal. Yes, you have to PLAN more with an EV, but I'll suggest that within the next several years the charging infrastructure will be in such a good position that these discussion will become irrelevent.
I own two Leafs, 2014 and 2015 models, with mabye a comfortable 70 mile max range, and still don't 'worry' about these things. Planning is the key.

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
You will have times/situations where your truck will need more juice and you will wish you had more. I thought while charging that if I just had 70 more miles on my battery, I could've made it home to charge...nope, stuck at a charger for at least 30 minutes so I don't run out of juice.
Here's the rub though - if you are going from Pro to XLT with ER, that is a $14K bump ($10-20K bump in other scenarios). So divide that $ bump by the number of times you will be inconvenienced....and it is bound to be a very high hourly rate of inconvenience. Of course, if money is no object....this is all no object.
Sponsored