• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Lightning Owners: Insights on bidirectional set up and PG&E’s V2X Pilot Program and Sunrun Integration?

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Hello Ford Lightning community,

I've been exploring PG&E's Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) pilot program and discovered that participation might require the Ford 80 Amp Charge Station Pro paired with the Sunrun Home Integration System. For Lightning owners already involved or considering this program, I have several questions and concerns:

1. Eligibility and Equipment: Is the Ford 80 Amp Charge Station Pro and Sunrun Home Integration System really a necessity? Are there alternative setups for a bidirectional system that might be more cost-effective or easier to manage?
2. Installation and Costs with Sunrun: For those who have gone through Sunrun for installation, what was your experience like? I've heard Sunrun can be challenging to deal with, and the installation cost for the integration system hovers around $8k. How accurate is this, and were you satisfied with the service?
3. PG&E Setup Costs: The PG&E interconnection study fees seem quite steep:
- $800 for the Interconnection Request Fee
- $2,500 for the Supplemental Review Fee (if the project fails Initial Review)
- $10,000 for the Detailed Study Refundable Deposit (for generating facilities 5MW or less; $50,000 plus $1,000 per MW for facilities greater than 5MW, if the project fails Supplemental Review or applies directly to Detailed Study).

Given these costs, do the incentives really offset the setup expenses?
4. Incentive vs. Expense: The upfront incentive seems to fall short when considering the installation and interconnection fees. Has anyone calculated the total cost versus the benefit, and does it actually make financial sense?
5. Alternative Experiences: Has anyone set up a bidirectional system outside of the PG&E program? What was that like in terms of cost, installation, and utility?

I'm trying to gauge whether the program's incentives justify the potential headache and expense of the setup. Any insights, experiences, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
What are the incentives to consumers? What you have described seems like a great expense if you have no other use for the HIS.

From my perspective the HIS is a very limited use case considering the cost. When you sell your vehicle it becomes useless. For a fraction of the cost you can install a switch and power most of a modest home from the 30 amp outlet in the bed and you can plug in a generator or battery pack after the Lightning is no longer in your fleet.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'm not sure what the talk is about PG&E's deal, though I imagine it's that 'grid to battery, battery to grid' thang... but, my questions is this: will this have a long-term negative effect on the battery life, and does Ford 'like' this idea.

I don't need nor want any HIS and all the expense surrounding that system, even if my PRO could use it. I think this is something similar to the cost of solar panels versus the very, very long-term 'payback', if any. They are expensive.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Be aware that the PG&E program for F150 Lightning is only supporting V2H at this time AFAIK. No timeline for V2G and given that no V2G standard has been finalized it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. V2H is already doable without PG&E. So, the program seems like just more hassle on top of the known issues with HIS. Maybe a good science project for someone with plenty of time and money spend.

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Consider waiting, there are more and more battery backup systems coming on line to compete with powerwall (a proven system). I just purchased an Anker system not available to the public yet as a beta tester, they have a simplified switchbox that integrates there system. They are not the only ones to enter into this arena. So consider waiting things are becoming more accesable in the area of battery storage and affordablity. If you really need a backup right now then a proper ground compatable with F150 transfer swith is the answer for now and wait a while and save some cash.

Here are examples:

https://www.anker.com/anker-solix/a1790-pps?ref=naviMenu_pps

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works

Sponsored
OP
OP

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Consider waiting, there are more and more battery backup systems coming on line to compete with powerwall (a proven system). I just purchased an Anker system not available to the public yet as a beta tester, they have a simplified switchbox that integrates there system. They are not the only ones to enter into this arena. So consider waiting things are becoming more accesable in the area of battery storage and affordablity. If you really need a backup right now then a proper ground compatable with F150 transfer swith is the answer for now and wait a while and save some cash.

Here are examples:

https://www.anker.com/anker-solix/a1790-pps?ref=naviMenu_pps

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works
Yea I really don’t need it but more so wanted to do for the PGE incentives but seems like the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

OP
OP

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Be aware that the PG&E program for F150 Lightning is only supporting V2H at this time AFAIK. No timeline for V2G and given that no V2G standard has been finalized it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. V2H is already doable without PG&E. So, the program seems like just more hassle on top of the known issues with HIS. Maybe a good science project for someone with plenty of time and money spend.
Yea I thought this incentive would make me money but seems like quite the opposite

weekdaysailor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
retired
Consider waiting, there are more and more battery backup systems coming on line to compete with powerwall (a proven system). I just purchased an Anker system..
Have you had a chance to install and play?

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Still waiting on some hardware to connect the system together, need to play with tie in controller and software.
Sponsored