• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
https://money.usnews.com/investing/...3-5-billion-battery-plant-in-michigan-sources

Ford to announce $3.5 bln battery plant in Michigan, sources say

February 10, 2023

(Reuters) - Ford Motor Co is expected to announce as soon as Monday it plans to build a new $3.5 billion lithium iron phosphate battery plant in Michigan, sources told Reuters.

The plant is expected to be located around Marshall, Michigan, and eventually employ at least 2,500 workers.

Ford is expected to own and operate the plant with Chinese battery company China's Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL) as a technology partner to help develop the batteries, sources said.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I wonder if Virginians think their governor made the right decision.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Our governor is kind of a doofus. Spends way more time campaigning for folks in other states than being here doing his job. Losing that Ford plant was an incredible mistake. He citing it being a joint venture with a company from China as “ wrong for America”. Bad move.

Sponsored

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
Glad to hear this for Michigan. Marshall is an interesting place for a location. Population 7K-ish. It's at the crossroads of I94 & I69, so quick to the highway for shipping to Detroit.

I grew up in western Michigan, so I may be a little biased. Living in Maryland now....sorry Virginia. When opportunity knocks, answer the door.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Glad to hear this for Michigan. Marshall is an interesting place for a location. Population 7K-ish. It's at the crossroads of I94 & I69, so quick to the highway for shipping to Detroit.
Those batteries will probably be going down to Tennessee.

A plant like this will take 3+ years from now to start producing product. by the time that happens, our version of the Lightning will be done. And I'm being told that the current REVC assembly plant will stop producing vehicles after this generation of truck and the Rouge DTP will go back to exclusively producing ICE trucks.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

A plant like this will take 3+ years from now to start producing product. by the time that happens, our version of the Lightning will be done. And I'm being told that the current REVC assembly plant will stop producing vehicles after this generation of truck and the Rouge DTP will go back to exclusively producing ICE trucks.
I was thinking TN had its own battery production as part of what was already being constructed.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Maybe they will build that weird raptor performance lightning thing

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I was thinking TN had its own battery production as part of what was already being constructed.
The Tennessee and Kentucky plants will produce Lithium Ion cells with SK. Not the Iron Phosphate cells.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Maybe they will build that weird raptor performance lightning thing
No more electric vehicle production after this generation on the Rouge site. They will all come from Tennessee. I've been told the building will be used for storage and part sequencing.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

I grew up in western Michigan, so I may be a little biased. Living in Maryland now....sorry Virginia. When opportunity knocks, answer the door.
Marshall has a large tract that has been set aside (as have others in Michigan) for exactly this kind of plant. In addition, they'll be close to Dark Horse Brewing Company!

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
No more electric vehicle production after this generation on the Rouge site. They will all come from Tennessee. I've been told the building will be used for storage and part sequencing.
I wonder if they'll keep producing the current version for fleets, like a "lightning classic." I feel like accessory and cabin overlap with the ice version is a huge selling point.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I wonder if they'll keep producing the current version for fleets, like a "lightning classic." I feel like accessory and cabin overlap with the ice version is a huge selling point.
The gas truck is being totally redesigned the year after the next gen Lightning goes into production. Ford, from what I'm told, doesn't want to spend the time or money electrifying it because they will have a platform specifically for electric trucks.
Sponsored