• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So driving to my favorite brunch restaurant, I found on PlugShare a new free charging location in a new structure built by the city of Ontario.

When I pulled in, it was all Tesla chargers - 8 Tesla SuperChargers + 6 L2 Tesla destination chargers.

I was next to a Chevy Bolt & 2 Teslas charging for free.

Strange to see so many Teslas waiting for their turn as all 8 chargers were being used constantly and the L2 stalls were half empty.
I spoke to a Tesla driver next to me that was charging on the free L2 charger who said free charging is good for them as they live nearby and charge over a day.
Otherwise, she told me the SuperCharger costs $0.56 per kWh.

Got a lot of stares while I pulled into the charging stall from the Tesla owners who all looked at my truck and were probably thinking - this crazy old man with a pickup truck is pulling into the wrong parking spot.

Noticed all the Teslas were backed in while my Lightning was front forward.

11kW was surprisingly good (like at home) so I was able to get an hour of charge while dining at my restaurant within a block walking distance.

Sticking out about 3 feet, my LIghtning did cause the drivers to swerve around my rear end sticking out.

They really need to improve parking spaces to fit our Lightnings.
Ford F-150 Lightning Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2. IMG_9397.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2. IMG_9400.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2. IMG_9398.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2. Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 7.47.06 AM

Ford F-150 Lightning Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2. Screenshot 2022-08-13 at 10.10.56 AM
Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Did you buy a TeslaTap or a different adaptor to use Tesla’s connector?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Nice! I agree that new stations will probably need to be made a bit longer to fit Rivians and Lightnings, Hummers, Silverados eventually in 2050 a Cybertruck

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Did you buy a TeslaTap or a different adaptor to use Tesla’s connector?
Could not use the Tesla SuperChargers - they only charge Teslas for now.

Hoping they would allow non Tesla vehicles to charge like they do in Europe, but Elon Musk has not allowed it in the USA.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Could not use the Tesla SuperChargers - they only charge Teslas for now.

Hoping they would allow non Tesla vehicles to charge like they do in Europe, but Elon Musk has not allowed it in the USA.
no I meant the Tesla Destination charger. They don’t support J1772 either afaik.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Looks like you could have pulled in much closer without hitting anything.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
no I meant the Tesla Destination charger. They don’t support J1772 either afaik.
The Tesla destination chargers are L2 - J1772.

Tesla owners who wanted the free charge had to use an adapter to charge.

Lightning plugged right in.

Look how long the charge cord is!

Ford F-150 Lightning Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2. IMG_9396.JPG

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Looks like you could have pulled in much closer without hitting anything.
Yes I could have but what fun is there watching all the Teslas having to drive around my long rear end sticking out?? :LOL:

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
For a short while, Tesla would supply their equipment with a J1772 connector instead of the Tesla connector if required by the business owner / locality. They no longer do this.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
For a short while, Tesla would supply their equipment with a J1772 connector instead of the Tesla connector if required by the business owner / locality. They no longer do this.
Correct - people look at them weird when they find a Tesla charger with J1772 but they did make them. Every Tesla (until the last couple of months) had the J1772 to Tesla adapter included, so we were all set.

Sponsored

SteelTerp87

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Lariat 2.7L (Platinum Lightning on Order
Occupation
Self-Employed
The Tesla destination chargers are L2 - J1772.

Tesla owners who wanted the free charge had to use an adapter to charge.

Lightning plugged right in.

Look how long the charge cord is!

IMG_9396.JPG
Looks like you might have been able to back in and pull the cord around the other side? I like backing in to spaces, much easier to back in to a space than back out and have to see around cars (IMHO)

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Looks like you might have been able to back in and pull the cord around the other side? I like backing in to spaces, much easier to back in to a space than back out and have to see around cars (IMHO)
Yes, the J1772 cords are much longer than the gimpy Tesla cords so yes, it will reach if I had backed in.

I just wanted to check them out and see if I could get a free charge.

The expression on some of the Tesla drivers was priceless - the oogling looks as I pulled in and plugged her into the charger....

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Correct - people look at them weird when they find a Tesla charger with J1772 but they did make them. Every Tesla (until the last couple of months) had the J1772 to Tesla adapter included, so we were all set.
SInce Europe is on board, I wonder when we will be able to charge at a Tesla SuperCharger and get DCFC ?

Will Musk charge us more than what Tesla owners have to pay ?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
SInce Europe is on board, I wonder when we will be able to charge at a Tesla SuperCharger and get DCFC ?

Will Musk charge us more than what Tesla owners have to pay ?
I think we are months away from this. There are a couple of brand new Superchargers being built not too far away and they still only have Tesla plugs on them. If this was imminent I would think their new installs would now have CCS on them too and they don't.

As far as charges I believe and am OK if the charge non Tesla's 2 to 3 times of a Tesla. They built the network for Tesla's that were traveling. So many now use them as local chargers, plus they are where they need to be for those traveling, so yes, it is about making my truck more usable and I'm OK paying much more than a Tesla owner to have access to a reliable network to get where I need to be.