• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Free Tesla destination chargers found near my home! New city chargers for both Tesla SuperChargers and L2.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
The Tesla destination chargers are L2 - J1772.

Tesla owners who wanted the free charge had to use an adapter to charge.

Lightning plugged right in.

Look how long the charge cord is!

IMG_9396.JPG
Next time I'm in Ontario I have to check this out (usually in the area monthly, the Cali Ontario that is😁).
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Yes, the J1772 cords are much longer than the gimpy Tesla cords so yes, it will reach if I had backed in.

I just wanted to check them out and see if I could get a free charge.

The expression on some of the Tesla drivers was priceless - the oogling looks as I pulled in and plugged her into the charger....
Next time back that thing on up in there...Your rear bumper could almost kiss that fence and then you wouldn't sick out into the lane. :)

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Got a lot of stares while I pulled into the charging stall from the Tesla owners who all looked at my truck and were probably thinking - this crazy old man with a pickup truck is pulling into the wrong parking spot.
This is the most funny part.

Do you have your own Tesla to J1774 adaptor? Which one?

Noticed all the Teslas were backed in while my Lightning was front forward.
Tesla has charging port on regular gas cap position which I really don't like. It is common sense that chargers are mostly in front of vehicle.

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
I need to get an adapter to use tesla destination chargers right? I should order one now. There was one on here somewhere that was on sell but I held off buying it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I need to get an adapter to use tesla destination chargers right? I should order one now. There was one on here somewhere that was on sell but I held off buying it.
This Tesla destination charger had the J1772 charge plug.

No need to get an adapter since Tesla does not allow non Tesla vehicles to charge on their SuperChargers.

At this location, there was 8 SuperChargers (pay) and 6 Destination chargers w/ J1772 (free).

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

No need to get an adapter since Tesla does not allow non Tesla vehicles to charge on their SuperChargers.

At this location, there was 8 SuperChargers (pay) and 6 Destination chargers w/ J1772 (free).
A nuance is a lot of people don't know how to differentiate between a destination charger, a wall connector, and a high powered wall connector. They resulted in different Tesla products for a while. There are certainly locations where a "destination charger" actually has a HPWC mounted outside with a Tesla plug and could use an adapter like Lectron for J1772 conversion.

You used to be able to tell based one whether you got 40A, 48A, or 80A of charging, but with the launch of Gen 3, that has changed as well.

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150

Correct bur I should buy a tesla to J1772 adapter for the destinatioj chargers out there that don't have the plugs.

Something like this https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...tination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black

Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Correct bur I should buy a tesla to J1772 adapter for the destinatioj chargers out there that don't have the plugs.

Something like this https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...tination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black
Tesla noob here - are there any concerns with this being a 48amp unit not working with all tesla destination chargers? Are there dest. chargers that go above 48amp that this would be dangerous to use with?

Would the truck be smart enough not to pull above 48 - I guess that should be my question. And it bet it is no? lol.

Would these work instead?

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160
https://www.amazon.com/TeslaTap-AMP-Tesla-J-1772-Adapter/dp/B07TQDKZQC

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I bought a Tesla Destination to J1722 adapter since almost all of the Tesla Destination chargers around Texas are actually Tesla corded. So if you feel you may have to stop at one for a very long time then yes, consider buying it. I assume the PlugShare properly identified that as J1722 and not Tesla.

Plan your routes then decide if you may need it. Most people who drive away from home will be using DC along the route. They may stop overnight at a hotel that has some type of charger. Remember that even at the very nice rate of 11kWh it will take a while to refill.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Tesla noob here - are there any concerns with this being a 48amp unit not working with all tesla destination chargers? Are there dest. chargers that go above 48amp that this would be dangerous to use with?

Would the truck be smart enough not to pull above 48 - I guess that should be my question. And it bet it is no? lol.

Would these work instead?

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160
https://www.amazon.com/TeslaTap-AMP-Tesla-J-1772-Adapter/dp/B07TQDKZQC
You want to use the 80A version. The truck isn't smart enough to draw less through that adapter. If the destination charger supports 80A, then you'll be trying to draw 80A through the 48A adapter.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
You want to use the 80A version. The truck isn't smart enough to draw less through that adapter. If the destination charger supports 80A, then you'll be trying to draw 80A through the 48A adapter.
Are you referring to an ER Lightning ?

If your Lightning is a SR battery with a single onboard charger limited to 11kW, wouldn't the 48A appropriate to use with a 80A charger ?

The SR Lightning will only draw a maximum of 11kW correct ?
Sponsored