• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Superchargers

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
I don't see any advantage to having the Tesla Supercharger net availible to us using the adapter other then adding more charge stations. Correct me if I am wrong, my lightning (98kw) standard battery pack will only accept a maximum charge of 120kw DC or 11.5Kw AC.
Sponsored

Kmgalea

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning XLT Standard Range
My standard range XLT has gotten up to 150kw fast charging.
It won’t go any faster on Tesla Chargers but there are more Tesla chargers in areas that don’t have any other fast chargers available.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I take it you haven't DCFC often? The CCS network can be challenging and unreliable for many users. The SC is ubiquitous, reliable, and simple to use. Peak charging speeds don't matter unless you arrive at a lower SOC and only plan on charging 15 mins. I am perfectly fine with the SR charging curve up to 80%. I can get ~50kWh in about 45mins, if I arrive with 20% SOC and precondition. DCFC preconditioning and charger availability is what's important to me. The SC network makes the SR Lightning now a viable choice for most.

OP
OP

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
It won’t go any faster on Tesla Chargers but there are more Tesla chargers in areas that don’t have any other fast chargers available.
Thanks, I was using the factory spec of 120kw DC. Nice to know it might charger slightly higher. I have a 70mwh solar system on our roof which I charge off at no cost.

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
Charger availability... don't need to say more.

Going from ohio to chicago... there's 1 DC fast-charger in southbend that's close to 100 miles between chargers. Looked at the tesla app and there was 7 superchargers between them. This has been the same since 2022 and still in 2024.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
This. On one my regular trips the SA chargers are far enough that I need to stop at the next one, even if I have 50% remaining because I won’t make it to the one after.

There are half a dozen superchargers after that. I can run it down another 40% before stopping.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
It’s huge for people who might tow, or like me, who threw a camper on mine and range on an ER has lowered. The ability to use Tesla will help me when I’m going campground to campground.

Sponsored

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
If you own a Tesla and a Lightning and your own adapter, can you use a SC with the adapter and charge the Lightning for free faking as your Tesla?
No, with a Tesla the car sends identification to the charger for billing and to start charging. Without a Tesla you need the app to identify which charger to unlock (and for billing). You don’t get the Tesla rate either unless you pay for a subscription.

BGT

First Name
BG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
retired
We have a 2023 Lightning, did a round trip from Sequim WA, 2 hours NW of Seattle on the Olympic Peninsula, to Knoxville Tennessee, approximately 5500 miles. Lots of the charging stations inoperative, running slow or crowed while the Tesla stations were aplenty & vacant. Our range was a pitiful 150 ish miles but if the Tesla stations were available we could have more distance between stops with less waiting time. <sigh>

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
And those Tesla chargers are a heck of a lot more consistent and reliable than EA chargers.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you own a Tesla and a Lightning and your own adapter, can you use a SC with the adapter and charge the Lightning for free faking as your Tesla?
No, and you never will be able to. That is how Tesla will be able to control who uses their network. Ford will be first. Anybody else will have their session fail.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don't see any advantage to having the Tesla Supercharger net availible to us using the adapter other then adding more charge stations. Correct me if I am wrong, my lightning (98kw) standard battery pack will only accept a maximum charge of 120kw DC or 11.5Kw AC.
You hit on one of the two advantages. Yes, more. 15,000 by Spring, plus 3,500 via Magic Docks by end of year.

Two, quality of charging network. Right now, Tesla is the highest quality network out there. It remains to be seen if the influx of CCS vehicles will allow them to maintain their high standard.
Sponsored