• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Front Bumper Misalignment?

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40e
Just picked up my truck last week and while going over it today, I noticed that the front bumper looks misaligned. Searched the forum, and didn't see anything , and going to call the dealership tomorrow but hoping this is easily fixed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Front Bumper Misalignment? lightning front
Sponsored

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I just checked mines and it appears to be the same way. o_O:unsure:

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I haven't studied mine closely from this top-down perspective, but mine does have bumper cover misalignment to where the passenger side has some clips that are popped out ever so slightly and are too misaligned to engage. I'll have to get pictures and post them another time.

I need to just tear the whole front end apart and align it properly, but just haven't gotten around to it.

OP
OP

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40e
Dealership is going to have their local body shop take care of it. They believe it is an easy fix (20-30 min). Probably do it next week.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine is the same. It's not immediately noticeable without looking for it, but it appears that the passenger side bumper protrudes about 1/2" compared to the driver side which looks more correct to me based on the way the inner fender liner lines up.

Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I posted about this back in November. My front right side is about 1 inch lower than the left side. The wheel well cover is misaligned on the right side also.

The right rear bumper is about 3/4” lower than the left side. I assume this is pretty common.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It's a feature designed to improve aerodynamics - it is intentional - the bumper leads slightly with one side to get the air flowing to the side instead of confronting the wind with a straight bumper wall. Same for slight bumper height differences side to side, wheel cover alignment differences - every little nuance of uneven surface or apparent assembly anomaly introduces a vortex effect that increases range or reduces wind resistance. It's subtle but effective. Engineering genius.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It's a feature designed to improve aerodynamics - it is intentional - the bumper leads slightly with one side to get the air flowing to the side instead of confronting the wind with a straight bumper wall. It's subtle but effective. Engineering genius.
Ford F-150 Lightning Front Bumper Misalignment? i-believe-him-yo-gif-3

Technoman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 JK//2006 1T Silverado/1970 CJ/2023 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I'll just be damned......intentional engineering genius....It's gotta be Elon who everyone copied for aero......I laughed when I saw misaligned Teslas and thought what a POS. Never pass at a car show where I'm a judge though. Ah come on Dave is this real?? I wish I had access to a wind tunnel. Crap my engineering skills are outdated maybe. LOL

Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Perhaps it is from how it was tied to transport?

OP
OP

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40e
stopped by a dealership over the weekend where they had 2 lightnings in stock. Both had a bumper that looked like this. Starting to think what Dave said is legit.

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
It's a feature designed to improve aerodynamics - it is intentional - the bumper leads slightly with one side to get the air flowing to the side instead of confronting the wind with a straight bumper wall. Same for slight bumper height differences side to side, wheel cover alignment differences - every little nuance of uneven surface or apparent assembly anomaly introduces a vortex effect that increases range or reduces wind resistance. It's subtle but effective. Engineering genius.
Doors and panels are designed to slightly “shingle” too, front to back. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored