• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hitch-mounted bike rack vs. bed racks - efficiency question

millim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, P*2, XC90, 1964.5 Mustang,
We're getting our RetraxPro XR & spray-in bed liner soon. Later this summer we're going to be driving about 2k miles round trip with a couple of mountain bikes. Options are either a hitch-mounted carrier or rack-mounted across the bed. I'm biasing toward rack-mounted because it'll make backing up better (no false alarms or blocking the camera), but curious whether people have a perspective or experience as to which is more efficient. I'm not thinking it should make a big difference either way, but since we'll be driving across the southwest and dealing w/ lots of charging I figured I'd ask just in case anyone had a perspective.

Ford F-150 Lightning Hitch-mounted bike rack vs. bed racks - efficiency question Retrax.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Hitch-mounted bike rack vs. bed racks - efficiency question Rack.JPG
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I'm going to keep my hitch mount because of bugs. I also have a bike bra for roof racks, which is the most like Option A. I'd suggest one, if you go that route, except that would be like an air dam. Then again, bugs may not be an issue where you are.

The bugs alone would make me favor Option B. It also would seem to be the most efficient, although aerodynamics back there are pretty wack.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I'd go with option B as well. The bikes will still mostly be in the draft of the truck while option A has them hitting a lot of fresh air, even if they have a narrow profile.

Do they make racks to mount in the bed or are you using a tonneau and storing stuff in there? That seems to be the best place from an efficiency standpoint.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I’d go with a hitch mount just for the fact they are so much more convenient to get the bike on or off. Kuat hitch mount can’t be beat.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
Have you considered a tailgate pad? The Raceface T2 is pretty much the best out there. Obviously can't have the tonneau all the way closed with that option though.

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I'm going with Retrax / Bed mount (and I already have a Thule hitch mount that's great) simply because the truck is long as is and I wouldn't be able to fit it in my garage with the bike rack mounted to the hitch, nor would I want the hitch mounted rack sticking out in parking lots.

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Option B disrupts any laminar flow that might have been created from the tonneau. Using Poiseuille's law , I'm going for option A.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I put a Rockymounts rail system across the center of the front bed wall and got locking mounts. Didn't love the idea of having to remove the front tire, but the bikes feel safe and secure and don't inhibit towing or sensors/cameras.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
rack

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Have you considered a tailgate pad? The Raceface T2 is pretty much the best out there. Obviously can't have the tonneau all the way closed with that option though.
Great for short distance...not so much for 2000 miles.
Sponsored