• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hoovie Fails at Owning a Truck

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Hoovies Garage buys half of a Standard Range Lariat to save money because "it can't tow very far even with the premium battery and if I'm gonna drive around 80 miles a day and charge it at night, it's fine".

Proceeds to tow Model A on highway at 70mph to 73mph in rain and in Standard Mode (doesn't bother putting in Tow Haul mode) and is shocked, SHOCKED that the guess o meter range is inaccurate.

Approaching a million views in 3 days

Sponsored

jdarmstrong

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F150 4.6L V8 FX2, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Senior Systems Administrator
I saw this and had wondered if it was in tow/haul mode because he never mentioned it at all. I was pretty much convinced that's what happened since he got terrible range with the empty trailer. Also, I don't think he ever said how many miles/kwh he got, just estimated range to empty. It was definitely a poor towing review.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
That channel is a 🤡 show. He doesn’t even know about the Lightning. It’s just click bait

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I saw this and had wondered if it was in tow/haul mode because he never mentioned it at all. I was pretty much convinced that's what happened since he got terrible range with the empty trailer. Also, I don't think he ever said how many miles/kwh he got, just estimated range to empty. It was definitely a poor towing review.
The blue color of the text bar and lack of a trailer symbol at the bottom near the odometer is a tell, was not in tow haul mode.

Ford F-150 Lightning Hoovie Fails at Owning a Truck 1664203747293

jdarmstrong

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F150 4.6L V8 FX2, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Senior Systems Administrator
The blue color of the text bar and lack of a trailer symbol at the bottom near the odometer is a tell, was not in tow haul mode.

1664203747293.png
Good catch, I've only test driven a mannequin so I'm not familiar with all the gauge layouts. Not switching modes should for sure affect range. Maybe he'll film a follow-up, but I supposed he wont.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Clickbait clown (plus some GM/TSLA kickback $ on the side?) :ROFLMAO:

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I was yelling at my phone while my wife was working out this weekend. What kind of idiot drives an EV in the rain with a trailer at 70+mph and expects it to get the same range as epa testing. I'd like to think that it is a special kind of idiot, but...those idiots are way too common. I have no idea what elevation change was also involved in his drive. And he said that it towed great ...other than the range issue.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Hoovie is an idiot. I watched one video for about 5min and turned him off. He obviously has no clue...

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Don’t monetize this fool with your clicks.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
also, 'Tow/Haul' mode has no effect on range/mpe... it's simply a way to better control the trailer/sway and provide some additional regeneration/slowing with extra weight behind you.... with no transmission, there is nothing different that the truck can 'do' when towing...
Like 'Sport' mode, it's simply different variations of steering tightness and regeneration effect...

I use Tow/Haul mode to add additional regeneration/slowing when on tight and curvy roads...
I use Sport mode if in mountainous areas to recapture more regeneration down very long, steep hills...
I only use the OnePedal option, in normal or sport mode, when in very heavy traffic, such as ATLANTA downtown at 5pm rush-hour yesterday - works beautifully, bringing you to a stop on it's own, and allowing you to much more 'relax', even in heavy stop-n-go traffic for miles and miles...

when towing our 3,000lb camper, I've used either Normal mode or Tow/Haul mode, depending on whether flat roads, or if on hilly/mountainous roads.... neither mode changes the final mpe... it's more about control.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
also, 'Tow/Haul' mode has no effect on range/mpe... it's simply a way to better control the trailer/sway and provide some additional regeneration/slowing with extra weight behind you.... with no transmission, there is nothing different that the truck can 'do' when towing...
Like 'Sport' mode, it's simply different variations of steering tightness and regeneration effect...

I use Tow/Haul mode to add additional regeneration/slowing when on tight and curvy roads...
I use Sport mode if in mountainous areas to recapture more regeneration down very long, steep hills...
I only use the OnePedal option, in normal or sport mode, when in very heavy traffic, such as ATLANTA downtown at 5pm rush-hour yesterday - works beautifully, bringing you to a stop on it's own, and allowing you to much more 'relax', even in heavy stop-n-go traffic for miles and miles...

when towing our 3,000lb camper, I've used either Normal mode or Tow/Haul mode, depending on whether flat roads, or if on hilly/mountainous roads.... neither mode changes the final mpe... it's more about control.
Might be true that it does not affect actual efficiency, but it does affect the guess o meter's estimated mileage. And of course he was at no point focused on understanding efficiency, just how fast the guess o meter was falling relative to miles driven.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space