• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How do I determine my truck's Curb Weight?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
This has been my major epiphany today. I am looking to upgrade from my '17 f150 lariat 2.7l eb 4x2 to a '22 f150 lariat pb 4x4 and what I've sort of realized is my towing capacity (limited by payload) won't be that much better. Some of that loss is from the pb batteries and motor and some from the 4x4.

I'm novice when it comes to towing and I'm at the point of rethinking my whole plan. Granted I don't plan to tow often, but thought about getting a TT for some family vacations. Now I'm not sure that will be feasible with the truck I'm getting (I need to wait till next week to see the payload numbers for that specific truck).

If the payload is around 1300-1400 I'm no better than what I have as I feel I'll be limited to what I guess is under 5-6k of towing capacity. The only benefit will be from the 3.5l eb portion of the pb as from what I've read the hybrid doesn't help too much overall when towing.
Just be careful with assumptions for payload and TT published weights. I'm dealing with the same thing currently. I started with 1523 lb payload as built. I added 500 lb of humans, 300 lbs of E rated tires, line-x, WDH, and a couple misc. items. Our spec'd TT (Imagine 2250rk - 28') of 5546 UVW and 515 hitch is actually 6440 (without water) and 840 tongue weight. This puts us at 70 lb over payload (GVW). See thread with updates as recent as this past weekend with multiple weightings. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/first-time-on-cat-scales-with-pb-and-tt.7811/ The PB makes towing worse than the regular 3.5 since you lose payload and the additional torque isn't really necessary when payload gets maxed out before tow capacity (which is all marketing anyway). Except having the 7.2kw geny is gold for boondocking, home power failures, tailgating, or any other geny needs. If they were to make a F250 with the 7.2kw or higher, I'd be very tempted to upgrade.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
26,001 to be precise :) , you can drive any vehicle up to 26,000 Lbs with a standard/passenger license. You need a CDL for any vehicle above 26,000 Lbs.
In Florida, over 8k lbs and you're supposed to get a class d license (still not a commercial license) and even then those giant motor homes can get over the 26k limit and I'm sure those people still have normal licenses. Having lived in Florida my whole life I've seen some people do stupid things with vehicles they have no training on operating. Kinda funny watching someone try and do a u turn on a 4 lane highway in a massive motorhome with a car trailered to it. Then ended up in the ditch with the back of the motorhome literally lifting the hitched car's from off the ground.

Until you mentioned it I forgot I no longer have my class d (used to have to have it for a job in my 20s). I let it slide because I just didn't need it anymore. Not that it is super hard to get one. It was 20+ years ago and I'm sure I just took a quick test and was out of there with my class D.

Reactions: sbi

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
In Florida, over 8k lbs and you're supposed to get a class d license (still not a commercial license) and even then those giant motor homes can get over the 26k limit and I'm sure those people still have normal licenses. Having lived in Florida my whole life I've seen some people do stupid things with vehicles they have no training on operating. Kinda funny watching someone try and do a u turn on a 4 lane highway in a massive motorhome with a car trailered to it. Then ended up in the ditch with the back of the motorhome literally lifting the hitched car's from off the ground.

Until you mentioned it I forgot I no longer have my class d (used to have to have it for a job in my 20s). I let it slide because I just didn't need it anymore. Not that it is super hard to get one. It was 20+ years ago and I'm sure I just took a quick test and was out of there with my class D.
Don't need a Class D in FL for any F-150s, none are over 8k lbs. And as long as trailer is under 26k, regular DL is all you need. For F250 and up you could depending on payload you are carrying in the truck.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Don't need a Class D in FL for any F-150s, none are over 8k lbs. And as long as trailer is under 26k, regular DL is all you need. For F250 and up you could depending on payload you are carrying in the truck.
I was talking more motorhomes than trucks pulling TTs. However there is apparently laws that exclude them from the normal laws, which I find odd. I did realize that you didn't need a class d for an f150.

Sorry if I added confusion to the discussion.

LaHerencia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XL SCrew SB Powerboost 4x4, 2018 F450
Yeah, that's where you can get into trouble if you're not careful. Those ratings are for the receiver hitch itself, not the vehicle it is bolted too. I'm sure Ford specs them out to be just over the max rating on the truck so that the hitch isn't the 'weak point'. It all comes down to liability, and that's where it ultimately ends up in your hands to make sure you are loaded correctly, and that your equipment is properly maintained in order to safely transport your stuff.

1646675398411.png
When I had my 2013 f150 with MaxTow, I had to replace it because of a crash. i discovered back then that MaxTow package trucks had a different colored hitch rating sticker just like what you show. If I remember correcctly, back then if your sticker was black, it was a standard rating. If it was white, it was the MaxTow rating.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0 Lariat SCREW Space White
When I had my 2013 f150 with MaxTow, I had to replace it because of a crash. i discovered back then that MaxTow package trucks had a different colored hitch rating sticker just like what you show. If I remember correcctly, back then if your sticker was black, it was a standard rating. If it was white, it was the MaxTow rating.
Interesting. Learning something new every day ?

I have Tow Technology Package, not Max Tow, hence the black sticker I suppose.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
On the black sticker, is there any information? All mine has is a white dot and a part number looks like.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Those weight ratings would be for my truck?
These are the receiver's ratings, not the truck. You said that your sticker did not have any informaiton, I thought you referred to the receiver's sticker. That's the only black or white sticker that I know in regards to towing.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
These are the receiver's ratings, not the truck. You said that your sticker did not have any informaiton, I thought you referred to the receiver's sticker. That's the only black or white sticker that I know in regards to towing.
That is what I ment receiver weight rating. Mine has no information just a white dot. Sorry for the blury picture but this is my sticker.
Ford F-150 Lightning How do I determine my truck's Curb Weight? 20220311_072927

Last edited:
OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is what I ment receiver weight rating. Mine has no information just a white dot. Sorry for the blury picture but this is my sticker.
20220311_072927.jpg
That's very interesting. How old is the truck (when did you get it)? Is there no other sticker elsewhere on the receiver? If not, I would probably contact a dealer or even Ford HQ to resolve this.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
That's very interesting. How old is the truck (when did you get it)? Is there no other sticker elsewhere on the receiver? If not, I would probably contact a dealer or even Ford HQ to resolve this.
Ordered March 31, 2021..delivered May 6, 2021. Only Trailer Tow package - 53A and Trailer Brake Controller - 53B. If there is another sticker it will be on top of the receiver and would have to take it off the truck to see it.
Sponsored