• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How does Torque/HP effect towing efficiency?

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I haven't really found a good answer, and I know it's a complicated question, but maybe you all can help.

My ICE 2016 XLT 325 HP and 375 lbft of torque. My new SR Lightning will have like 452 and 775.

All else equal, an ICE and EV power train are going to lose efficiency while towing relatively equally. Neither can conquer physics and aerodynamics.

BUT, here's my question. If my ICE F150 and Lightning were both given exactly the same load, wouldn't the lightning actually be more efficient and have LESS range loss because the motors will be working comparatively less to move the same load?

Kinda like putting 10,000lbs on an F150 and 10,000 on a super duty. I assume the super duty would be much more efficient towing the heavier load?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No - both systems are most efficient at full load. The ICE drops off much faster than an electric motor as you reduce the load.

So if you think about it in reverse, the ICE climbs the efficiency curve at a higher rate as the load is increased.

The BEV will still have a much higher absolute efficiency at any load, but the ICE has more to gain efficiency-wise as the load is increased.

Ford F-150 Lightning How does Torque/HP effect towing efficiency? 699A6FBA-36E1-4AAF-9D99-4AF4DCA3D407

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
How does the efficiency curve look for a turbo/supercharged engine? I know when my car goes into boost, the mixture richens to help prevent detonation and mpg plummets. However, this is also the "magic" that boost can provide and why almost every manufacturer is using it now. It offers good cruising / idling mpg because the engine is smaller for a given output, and there is still power on tap when needed. When towing, you'll stay in boost much longer. I've seen other threads where people say their ecoboost engine mpg drops into the single digits while towing whereas they are otherwise in the low 20s.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
How does the efficiency curve look for a turbo/supercharged engine? I know when my car goes into boost, the mixture richens to help prevent detonation and mpg plummets. However, this is also the "magic" that boost can provide and why almost every manufacturer is using it now. It offers good cruising / idling mpg because the engine is smaller for a given output, and there is still power on tap when needed. When towing, you'll stay in boost much longer. I've seen other threads where people say their ecoboost engine mpg drops into the single digits while towing whereas they are otherwise in the low 20s.
It’s complicated…here’s a pretty good summary:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...nomy-can-be-worse-not-better/article29705614/

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Resurrect this thread.
I used the onboard scales today to load gravel in the bed of the truck. They worked extremely accurately. Thirty 50# bags, a wood pallet and me came to a little over 1700 pounds. I know my old trucks had some leeway for weight but I had leaf springs and solid axles. No chances taken here.
What was really impressive was the acceleration and handling. Like nothing I had before. Acceleration was STRONG. Braking was solid. I used the tow/haul mode. Ran with traffic at urban highway speed (50-60) like normal.
Something that surprised me was the electrical consumption - the same as normal. Around town with hills and stop and go traffic, I average a little under 2.5 miles/kWh. For the 20 mile trip, same 2.4 miles/kWh.
The truck is a beast.

edit - bags, not pages.

Last edited:

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Resurrect this thread.
I used the onboard scales today to load gravel in the bed of the truck. They worked extremely accurately. Thirty 50# bags, a wood pallet and me came to a little over 1700 pounds. I know my old trucks had some leeway for weight but I had leaf springs and solid axles. No chances taken here.
What was really impressive was the acceleration and handling. Like nothing I had before. Acceleration was STRONG. Braking was solid. I used the tow/haul mode. Ran with traffic at urban highway speed (50-60) like normal.
Something that surprised me was the electrical consumption - the same as normal. Around town with hills and stop and go traffic, I average a little under 2.5 miles/kWh. For the 20 mile trip, same 2.4 miles/kWh.
The truck is a beast.

edit - bags, not pages.
I’m pleased to see, but not surprised by, your kWh use under load. This type of efficiency confirms what @OutofSpecKyle observed during his range test under full load In the bed.

The Lightning is pretty efficient as long as the load profile doesn’t exceed the profile of the cab…..its the aerodynamics of the load (e.g. big trailers) that challenge this truck.
Sponsored