• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to access 12v if Lightning is completely dead?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Multi-part question I guess - just how secure is the Frunk on the Lightning? Is there a location to jump the 12v battery other than opening the frunk in some way. I can only relate from a Tesla. If the 12v battery is dead, the contacts can't close and recharge it from the HV battery. This means you need access to the 12v which is in the frunk. So there must be be a "back door" or manual release to get into the frunk. This could indicate it is not 100% secure. Thoughts?
Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
My BMW i3 had some small cables for emergencies. Not sure if the F150 will have them.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
My BMW i3 had some small cables for emergencies. Not sure if the F150 will have them.
Agree - the Model 3 and Y do as well, which means it is not a locked secure frunk. It would take about 30 seconds to get into the frunk of a 3/Y and likely for your i3 as well. It only takes a 9 volt battery.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
In a Porsche you need to apply 12v power to a couple terminals on the fuse panel. Once this is done, you can pop the lock on the frunk to access the battery. Maybe Ford is doing something like this.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If it’s like the Mach-E, the external 12V connection to pop the frunk only functions if your 12V battery is dead. In a normal state, some random person can’t come along with a battery and pop the frunk.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
In a Porsche you need to apply 12v power to a couple terminals on the fuse panel. Once this is done, you can pop the lock on the frunk to access the battery. Maybe Ford is doing something like this.

I've had to do this but my 911 has a keyed lock on the door. With some newer cars not having a keyed lock, a manual method of entry becomes more difficult. Although, the Lightning does have a keyed entry.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN