• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

12v Battery Dead? truck dead? CAS

Robilium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning, Tesla S, X, F350 Diesel
In another thread I detailed how I was notified about the high voltage battery recall/CAS, had truck fail while driving. They took it and replaced the battery modules.

My question: any idea why the 12v battery would not be charged by the HV battery?
Details on my current ford blow up.

I picked it up a week ago from dealer after CAS battery module replacement. It was at dealer for 4 weeks. . Drove it 3 hours back from Paso Robles to NorCal. Parked it, plugged it in, made sure it was charging, and then went to London for a week. I came back put all of our food, chairs, and supplies for an all day kids swim meet into the bed (with tonneau cover). When I went to turn it on all mayhem broke out. Beeps, warnings, faults, screen wacky, speakers going bump bump bump. It said it was 59% charged. I plugged it back into the wall and even then it was clicking on and off and the ford wall charger was going blue/white. Worst thing was the tailgate wouldn’t open and there is no manual release. With the tonneau cover in place I couldn’t access anything. My wife was pissed. Daughter crying. They left in the Tesla with no supplies to go to the swim meet.

I was able through trial and error to figure that the 12v battery was likely dead. I don’t have a trickle charger or jump since I own all tesla so my mother in law came over with her suv and jumper cables. Once connected to the 12v and a bit of power I was able to open the tail gate.

Observed behavior:
Truck plugged in for 1 week on ford wall charger
Tailgate opened and closed.
Physical Battery light showing 2 of 5
Unplugged truck
Enter truck, press start. Shows 59%
Faults go crazy. I can’t remember them all but kept clicking OK on them. Big screen says going to sleep to save battery.
gear shift blinks yellow.
Screens start to turn off.
tailgate won’t open. Frunk won’t open.
do emergency release on trunk.
on 12v battery I loosen and disconnect black terminal for 1 minute and reconnect. The speakers start bumping a bass noise/popping.
nothing happens or turns on in interior except maybe some blinking on gear shift.
I attach jumper cables from another ICE car. (I don’t own a trickle charger).
lights in frunk turn on. After a couple minutes the lift gate works.
plug in the HV charger, says will only do a scheduled charge.
I reboot the system by pressing the two steering wheel buttons.
Powers back on but fault a palooza again.
I try to initiate immediate charging but nothing happens.
It is odd that only 2 of 5 bars show light up on the charge port but screen says 59%. Last time there was a mismatch was when my HV modules were replaced for the CAS/recall.

I emailed my ford handler for the CAS issue. I just bought a 12v trickle charger to try at Home Depot.

It seems like when they did the module replacement the 12v charger from the DC to DC converter wasn’t reattached or something. Why else would the 12v not be charged

I would imagine for could just check the truck status remotely. tesla was really good at this.

I will let others know if the trickle charge resolved it.

anyone ever see behavior like this?
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
A low or dead 12v 'starter' battery will create sometimes havoc, while other times just won't let the truck 'turn on'... it is very strange behaviour, and not a fun time, no matter which type occurs...

I've begun to believe, that like with laptops and other computers, when the bells and whistles start going off, or the computer starts exhibiting strange behaviour... REBOOT. Or, better yet, for our Trucks: DETACH the NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL for a few minutes.

Rebooting tends to solve a lot of temporary issues ...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Have the dealer (warranty) the old 12v if it's defective as @Crilly suspects

OP
OP
Robilium

Robilium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It doesn’t seem to be the 12v …. I trickle charged it and it is reading full voltage. Everything is more or less operating with the 12v. I disconnected black for an hour and reconnected. However it still faults at start up with the red battery, wrench, etc. also the frunk and lift gate are acting weird. The lift gate keeps beeping and opening every time I close it. Grrr. It doesn’t fit into my garage with the lift gate open. What a pile of junk.

I am frankly scared to have this thing in my garage given it was made around the time of the factory fires and it is acting so damn weird. I am getting it towed tomorrow.

Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery Dead? truck dead? CAS IMG_0281

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Best of luck! Let us know the cause and remedy when you know.

OP
OP
Robilium

Robilium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had to physically push the truck out of garage, down the hill, then push it again to turn it around so the tow truck could pick it up.
Been at dealer since yesterday.
They said they couldn't look at it until today
The @Ford Motor Company BEV customer service team covering my CAS case has been non-responsive to email and phone calls.
Enterprise rental car gave me a 5 year old F150 with cloth seats and 60k miles.

My car payments on a $100k vehicle continue to be the only thing happening on time and successfully.

Ford F-150 Lightning 12v Battery Dead? truck dead? CAS IMG_0321

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
don’t have a trickle charger or jump since I own all tesla
Why would that make a difference? Carry booster cables in your vehicle or get a charger. Your Tesla has a 12v battery too and you can boost other vehicles from yours.

In reality, your 12v battery is probably shot from sitting for weeks. It's a small battery to begin with and no longer has the capacity to run the vehicle. Standing voltage means very little if there is no capacity.

OP
OP
Robilium

Robilium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why would that make a difference? Carry booster cables in your vehicle or get a charger. Your Tesla has a 12v battery too and you can boost other vehicles from yours.

In reality, your 12v battery is probably shot from sitting for weeks. It's a small battery to begin with and no longer has the capacity to run the vehicle. Standing voltage means very little if there is no capacity.
It seems odd that a 12v battery would only last for 6,000 miles and 6 months? My Tesla 12v battery and my gas cars never went bad that quick. The HV is supposed to be charging the 12v via the DC to DC converter and keep it topped up. I always traveled for weeks at a time with my Tesla. It should be noted that for the last week at while I was in the UK it was plugged in to a ford home charger pro... only charged to 59%.

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
odd that a 12v battery would only last for 6,000 miles and 6 months
The dealer may have left it on and unattended and killed it. It's not normal. Normal batteries should last at least 3 years.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It should be noted that for the last week at while I was in the UK it was plugged in to a ford home charger pro... only charged to 59%.
Once the LVB becomes to weak to actuate the contactors, then we have a 'no drive' & 'no charge' situation, seems the root of the problem is a stressed out / defective LVB or something is wrong with the dc/dc charge controller.

OP
OP
Robilium

Robilium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Once the LVB becomes to weak to actuate the contactors, then we have a 'no drive' & 'no charge' situation, seems the root of the problem is a stressed out / defective LVB or something is wrong with the dc/dc charge controller.
that is starting to make some sense. $100k truck done in by a $100 battery :)

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I can assure you it wasn't the 12v

OP
OP
Robilium

Robilium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
got call today, they have the whole battery tray out. Said it looks like some of the HV battery modules are corroded. That the original replacement may not have been correct. They also said some BEVM or something like that has to be replaced.
Sponsored