• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jplaplante

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT; 2023 Durango; 2018 Leaf
I'm super excited to see this post and I have been following it daily. My parking garage at work is 77 inches and my XLT just barely touches the entrance "height check" bar every time I park here. Fortunately, the garage seems to be several inches taller than 77 once I am past the entrance itself.

I went ahead and bought the Belltech 25001 and scheduled an appointment for my local garage to install them next week. Now the test will be to see if they are willing/able to do the swap since they told me they would "rely on the instructions with the struts" but Belltech says the 25001 is not compatible with a 2023 Lightning. I'm confident the garage people are smart but my fingers are still crossed that I won't encounter issues with them doing the install.

I'll report back and try to remember to take some photos before/after. $300 on new struts + install cost is far more palatable than the $6,000 Icon kit I found that appears to be Lightning-specific. And the current rake of the truck drives me nuts every time I look at it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I'm super excited to see this post and I have been following it daily. My parking garage at work is 77 inches and my XLT just barely touches the entrance "height check" bar every time I park here. Fortunately, the garage seems to be several inches taller than 77 once I am past the entrance itself.

I went ahead and bought the Belltech 25001 and scheduled an appointment for my local garage to install them next week. Now the test will be to see if they are willing/able to do the swap since they told me they would "rely on the instructions with the struts" but Belltech says the 25001 is not compatible with a 2023 Lightning. I'm confident the garage people are smart but my fingers are still crossed that I won't encounter issues with them doing the install.

I'll report back and try to remember to take some photos before/after. $300 on new struts + install cost is far more palatable than the $6,000 Icon kit I found that appears to be Lightning-specific. And the current rake of the truck drives me nuts every time I look at it.
Agree! No, the shocks are not designed for the rear but this is the first independent rear suspension for the Ford truck and the specs are perfectly matched. They fit just fine. I'm proof. It'll be fine. If your shop refuses get a more competent shop.

LightningBug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Bug Guy
Great write-up! Ordered my shocks today. Can’t wait to fix this stance.
Any effect to Blue Cruise, adaptive cruise control, LKA, or other driver aids?

Last edited:

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I have ordered the camber kit from icon. It's about 2° of negative camber. Still drives just fine with no road noise or instability, but I think I'm gonna get it just for my peace of mind and a bit of perfectionism.
Do you mind sharing which P/N for the camber kit you ordered? I plan on doing it all at once.

Sponsored
OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nope. It's only a 2 inch drop in the rear which is what would happen if you were carrying a decently heavy load, so all systems should function well within spec of that

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nope. All good

Ice No More?

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, F450
Occupation
Aviation Professional
Nope. All good
Your information, shared in this thread, has been very helpful, thank you. My struts are in the barn and my spring compressor shows up tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend to get this done. I see there is a camber adjustment washer already on the truck, did you try that or is the drop too much for the factory adjustment? Thanks again.

Mikewolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning XLT LR
Great write up! I’ve been considering this for a while. Just curious if you’ve measured the ground clearance after the drop? I’m guessing I could just measure and subtract 2” if you haven’t.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your information, shared in this thread, has been very helpful, thank you. My struts are in the barn and my spring compressor shows up tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend to get this done. I see there is a camber adjustment washer already on the truck, did you try that or is the drop too much for the factory adjustment? Thanks again.
Thanks. There is no camber adjustment on the Ford lightning, only toe and that is the inside hinge of the control arm. I have ordered the aftermarket camber kit from icon but who knows when that will be here?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great write up! I’ve been considering this for a while. Just curious if you’ve measured the ground clearance after the drop? I’m guessing I could just measure and subtract 2” if you haven’t.
Yes, this 3 inch suspension drop is exactly a 2 inch rear truck drop. Take whatever measurements you have and subtract 2 inches exactly and there you go.

UpWithFilm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Kia Niro Ev, '23 Avalanche Lightning XLT
This is absolutely on my list of future mods to my Lightning. Two quick questions:

1. All said and done, about how much do you think this (will) cost you? Guess I'm wondering about total price if I do it myself.

2. How much time total do you think it'd take 2 people to complete this, if one of them is fairly experienced and they had the right set of tools?

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is absolutely on my list of future mods to my Lightning. Two quick questions:

1. All said and done, about how much do you think this (will) cost you? Guess I'm wondering about total price if I do it myself.

2. How much time total do you think it'd take 2 people to complete this, if one of them is fairly experienced and they had the right set of tools?
$250 for shocks. $150 for the compressor (worth it!)

two people? I don't know. I did it all myself in about four hours for the first one and 30 mins for the second one. And I took my time. Not sure what a second person would do? Bring you beer? :)

UpWithFilm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Kia Niro Ev, '23 Avalanche Lightning XLT
$250 for shocks. $150 for the compressor (worth it!)

two people? I don't know. I did it all myself in about four hours for the first one and 30 mins for the second one. And I took my time. Not sure what a second person would do? Bring you beer? :)
Well, the 2nd person would be there because he actually knows what the hell he's doing and has experience. I would just be there to be in the way.

And thank you! That's not a bad price at all, especially because I think he already has a compressor for just this purpose.

LightningBug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Bug Guy
Install done today. Thanks to the write up. It was a HUGE help. I’m going to add a few notes that are not in the write up for those of use that need a little more guidance on the details. It took me 3 1/2 hours total. I have done suspension work before.

Add to tools- 18mm socket, 8mm socket, 18mm deep socket, 18mm box end wrench, trim peg removal tool

It’s quite a bit easier to work with the wheel liner out. Use the 8mm and trim tool. It comes out super easy.

The top nuts on the shock at 18 mm. Use the shallow socket and box end to remover those. Use the deep 18mm for the center nut.

Once you have the old shock out, ditch the ugly shock cover and stock bump stop. Retain the rubber pad that goes up top. Insert the bump stop provided with the new shocks into the rubber pad. There is also a metal tubular spacer provided with the new shocks that needs to be placed at the top of the shock under the top plate. Make sure to put that in.

Besides that it’s pretty strait forward. The hardest part was getting the truck off the ground. lol. I had to use the spare jack because I did t have one tall enough and strong enough to lift this beast. Cranking that scissor Jack is a workout!

As far as the ride and look, it’s SOOOOO much better! Every F150 I’ve had rides better with a load. This one too. It feels much more planted. Not so “boat like”. In an aggressive turn, there is more rear bias. It still under steers but way less. There is a tiny bit of visible camber. I’m going to see how tire life is like this. The kit is not only expensive but it’s a complicated install with permanent modifications. If it costs me just a few thousand premature tire miles, that’s a compromise I’m willing to make.

I’m making a reveal post later today with all the mods. This install included. All I can say is I LOVE THIS TRUCK!
Sponsored