• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
I just got my Lightning Pro a few days ago. I've been having a lot of fun pushing people back into the seats!

Anyway, I let my brother drive it last night. We were in a residential area without sidewalks and a lot of people were out on their evening walks, so he had no plans to go fast. At a stop sign he apparently completely floored it and squealed the tires really loudly. I reminded him quickly the thing could get yp to 60. Then, also only speeding up to about 20 mph, he squealed them again!!

I've taken off pretty quickly but had managed to preserve my brand new tires!! Anyway, speeding up too fast could cost you in tire replacement...
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Which lane were you in?

The quarter mile track was closed, had to go to the eighth mile instead. Here is my best timeslip:

20230618_eighth_mile.jpg
I don't keep up with times much, but was curious what your SOC was. EA has a charger in Waco, but I don't think much else exists in that area for DCFC. Were you able to find one and start with a high SOC?

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450
SOC started pretty high, upper 80's and ended up in the low 80's after 5 runs. There is an EA fast charger at the Wal Mart in Ennis, I used that to charge up to 96% while eating a Whataburger. I had it set to charge to 100% but the EA charger doesn't seem to support the low charge rate that the truck needs in the last ~5%. When I got back to my truck it had quit charging and was counting down to charging me for idle time. Then I drove to the Texas Motorplex who's web site said they were open on 6/18, only to find them locked up tight. I guess 6/18 was referring to the one hour they were open this morning from midnight to 1am after the Saturday night session. :mad: So had to backtrack about 20 miles to Xtreme raceway park. I'd never been there before, it's a pretty nice place.

I used sport mode and did not powerbrake, just let the e-brake hold the truck and stomped on it after the third yellow. My first run the truck initially hooked but spun very briefly just after launch and traction control kicked in resulting in a 1.96 60-ft and 8.38@84mph. They put down more VHT after that and I had no more traction issues. The final run had so much VHT I could detect some drag on the truck as I approached the lights. The second run (traction control turned off) was the best ET/MPH but the last run I did get a slightly better 60-ft at 1.84. Overall, the runs were extremely consistent. I'm pleased with the traction control on this truck - on my 2018 5.0 it was oppressive - any slippage would result in a huge bog in power. This truck dishes it out more judiciously. I also tried normal mode, VSC-off and powerbraking, none of which made any difference.

I also weighed the truck, it was a surprisingly heavy 6190 after subtracting out my weight, and this was with the spare and jack removed (permanently replaced with a plug kit, tire pump and can of fix-a-flat) and the 10-lb frunk compartment cover also removed. Next I'm going to give my tailgate a step-ectomy, I'll bet that lump weighs at least 20lbs.

timjulius1122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor
Thank you for sharing your insights! It's fascinating how the Lightning truck's acceleration caught your attention at the auto show. Your method of loading the truck by holding the brake and then releasing it for a powerful take-off is definitely worth a try. Although the impact on the brakes is uncertain, the fact that the Lightning booth used this technique consistently implies it may not be overly damaging. Just remember to drive responsibly and prioritize safety. Enjoy the impressive performance of your truck!

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Update Lariat ER: I ran with the summer stock tires this time traction was better.
Ford F-150 Lightning How to launch the Lightning 1698841326762

Last edited:

Sponsored

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450
Nice reaction time!

A friend just purchased a Lariat ER and I noticed his tires were larger than mine. His were 275/60-20 and mine are 275/55-20. My 20's are lightweight aftermarkets and are approximately the same diameter as the stock 275/65-18's. I wonder how much acceleration you would gain by bolting on a set of the 18's?

275/65-18: 32.1"
275/55-20: 32.2"
275/60-20: 33.0"

I'll bet the factory 18" wheel/tire combo is also significantly lighter than the factory 20's.

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
I'll definitely do the "launch" on the drag strip with the power tour. I've noticed a big difference from 1PD. I think sport mostly tunes the initial pedal response to make it peppier.

Any suggestions for autocross? That's definitely happening, but I've never worked with a car that seemed more glued to the road. I'm not sure I can throw it around even if I try.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
I did that once but I'm afraid to snap an axle, or two.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I'll definitely do the "launch" on the drag strip with the power tour. I've noticed a big difference from 1PD. I think sport mostly tunes the initial pedal response to make it peppier.

Any suggestions for autocross? That's definitely happening, but I've never worked with a car that seemed more glued to the road. I'm not sure I can throw it around even if I try.
You need to turn traction control off - there are two levels that can be turned off. Kyle (Out of Spec) does it in his snow videos. Of course at your own risk.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford hasn't provided launch control for gas F-150s. I hope they devote zero resources for this too, focusing on what mainstream owners want.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I'm surprised no one has responded with a snarky reply. How to launch a lightning? A really big trebuchet or attached to a space x rocket.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I'm surprised no one has responded with a snarky reply. How to launch a lightning? A really big trebuchet or attached to a space x rocket.
Elon answered that - just ask Starman.
Sponsored