• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to use CarStream?

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Hi all, like many of you I like to watch various Youtube videos while charging. With a Lightning XLT there is no option to do this. Following instructions elsewhere on the forum I have installed AAAD and CarStream on my Android phone. As far as I can tell it's installed properly. This picture shows CarStream available as an app in Android Auto.

Ford F-150 Lightning How to use CarStream? PXL_20230726_221034235.MP

If I select CarStream I get this screen:

Ford F-150 Lightning How to use CarStream? PXL_20230726_221141837.MP

I don't know what the 'no new messages' is referring to. If I start CarStream on my phone and play a video it appears on my phone but not on the XLT screen. Am I missing something? Do I have to do anything special to get the video to appear in Android Auto?

Thanks as always for any suggestions,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.
Sponsored

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning, Bronco Badlands, 1968 Mustang
Occupation
MD Director of Technology
Try using the AA Store app vs AAAD. I have never seen that message before. I made a video on it a while back you can check it out and see if there are any differences.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
My car stream hasn't worked since the cool walk update to Android auto. Worked fine before.

I'd love to figure out how to make it work again.

OP
OP

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Guys this issue is now fixed although the solution is a bit technical. As a software engineer I understand the directions at this link:

Fix No New Messages Issue

If you're seeing the no new messages text it's because Android 13 needs to update its Package Installer APK. An APK file is an Android application that needs to be downloaded to the phone and opened. If you download and install the updated APK, then uninstall and reinstall CarStream, it seems to work. I can now watch Youtube videos and the previous error is gone.

Well....one more comment. I re-examined the above link and it talks specifically about Google Pixel phones. I have a Pixel 6A and as I said installing the new APK fixed my issue. Don't know how this affects other Android phones.

Good luck,
Alan Rovner

OP
OP

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Whammy....while researching my issue I saw several comments about people downgrading Android Auto to a previous version. That's likely what is causing your issue.

Alan
Sponsored