• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to resume OTA updates?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Background: My last at home update (PU306) was in summer (7/14). There were two recent updates on the run (according to Ford pass, PU0724 and then PU 6.1.0). The truck says my latest update is PU 6.2.0 but there is nothing in the app message center about this. Last night reading the posts on the forum, I realized people complaining about an update turning their WiFi off. I checked the truck and sure enough mine was turned off too. I know I have been missing updates. Some of the changes folks have been talking about for a while like SOC on the Home Screen is missing from mine and some of the PU numbers people already have was never applied to my truck. I have always had the auto update on with 3 days a week selected. Another piece of info is that the last home update took many attempts to go through. The last two on the run updates tells me the truck is still talking to mothership regardless of WiFi but it feels like, it needs WiFi for more significant updates (not sure if that is the case).

Question: Am I ghosted for some of the updates by Ford because WiFi was off? Now that it is back on, will the missing updates resume? or those updates need a manual attempt by dealer? Any insight on this is appreciated
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Not a single OTA released to date requires wifi to download. It is very possible that you got an OTA that was not recorded in Fordpass. Send me your VIN and I can check PTS and confirm, but if your truck says you're 6.2.0, then you most likely got the OTA.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
No, I do not have WiFi/internet at home and am up to date on OTA’s. They have all come down via cell connectivity.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a single OTA released to date requires wifi to download. It is very possible that you got an OTA that was not recorded in Fordpass. Send me your VIN and I can check PTS and confirm, but if your truck says you're 6.2.0, then you most likely got the OTA.
I appreciate the offer. I am fairly sure you are correct and I do have 6.2.0 and it was not registered in database for Ford-pass consumption. If I give you the Power-Up numbers I think I am missing, will you be able to Tell if they Ever became available for download for me? And is there anything I can do to make them available and get them installed? If there is nothing I can do, I wouldn’t waste your time.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
On the ICE trucks, I can tell which power up/priority updates coincide with modules on the truck that are currently pending updates. These Lightnings are more complicated with more modules and more updates than the ICE trucks have, so I cannot answer your question intelligently. At least not yet.

What I can tell you is which modules on your trucks have updates pending. The only thing YOU can do to get the updates is invest in the tools needed to do the updates yourself. Other than that, you are at the mercy of the garbage OTA process.

Edit: If you are looking for the SOC on your home screen being the center screen, that should be an APIM update. 6.3.0 is the next power-up OTA that is due. Not sure if that one gives you what you're looking for. If you are looking for something in the cluster behind the steering wheel, that would be an IPC update.

Sponsored

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
@Maxx just so you know I also got my pro about the same time as you and I havent seen the state of charge on the home screen yet either. Not sure if it a pro thing or a time of manufature thing or Ford just being lazy about up dating pros bought at the original MSRP. Other wise the truck is great and no issues

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the ICE trucks, I can tell which power up/priority updates coincide with modules on the truck that are currently pending updates. These Lightnings are more complicated with more modules and more updates than the ICE trucks have, so I cannot answer your question intelligently. At least not yet.

What I can tell you is which modules on your trucks have updates pending. The only thing YOU can do to get the updates is invest in the tools needed to do the updates yourself. Other than that, you are at the mercy of the garbage OTA process.

Edit: If you are looking for the SOC on your home screen being the center screen, that should be an APIM update. 6.3.0 is the next power-up OTA that is due. Not sure if that one gives you what you're looking for. If you are looking for something in the cluster behind the steering wheel, that would be an IPC update.
Thanks for a very helpful explanation. Actually I don’t care much about the SOC on display. The execution that I have seen was quite messy and I actually prefer the way it is. I just don’t want to miss any safety related updates like if there is anything that protects the battery, inverters or fast charging connections during certain conditions. Bells and whistles are not much of a concern. I will wait for the next update and then will go through the forum and if it looks like I am missing something important, I may bug you with a PM to see which module is missing something. Thanks again for all your help.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
This process is so haphazard. I have the SOC (chime) update but nothing since the RAD update about a month ago. So it seems you leap frogged me a bit with 6.1.0 and 6.2.0. I double checked and all my settings are still on, so I'm just waiting as patiently as I can.

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I’m in the same boat as Zprime. I realized now that you never really know when you’re getting an update
However
I did get mail from Ford yesterday that said that I have a “customer experience upgrade” that upgrades something to do with the charging system that is an OTA that if it freezes, you schedule a service visit to fix - and my VIN is one that specifically needs it.
Anyways I don’t have the words correct certainly but my point is that they are asking some folks to get some updates at the dealer.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I guess this applies to just the 2020 models.... 😂

"In 2020, Ford will begin equipping most redesigned vehicles in the U.S. with advanced over-the-air update capability for quick and easy wireless upgrades that can help enhance quality, capability and improve the ownership experience over time while reducing dealer trips"

https://corporate.ford.com/articles/products/over-the-air-software-updates.html

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did get mail from Ford yesterday that said that I have a “customer experience upgrade” that upgrades something to do with the charging system that is an OTA that if it freezes, you schedule a service visit to fix - and my VIN is one that specifically needs it.
Anyways I don’t have the words correct certainly but my point is that they are asking some folks to get some updates at the dealer.
I got the same thing. My understanding is that we will get an OTA in Q4 of 2023. That probably means December 31st. If you want the update before then, you should go to your dealer. If I understand it correctly, the truck does not have all the safety settings in place so that if during DCFC charging your contacts are getting too hot, it slows down or stops charging. They May be wording it this way so if you barbecue your truck before the fix is applied, Ford can say we told you you should have gone to the dealer, but if nothing happens, they have saved you a trip. I think one of the functions of this update may be to alert Ford if dealer need to fix something they can not see with current software. If you already took your truck to dealer for the update and they find out the fix is needed, they will do the work. I am on the lazy side and not too eager to deal with dealer if I can avoid it. I do exclusively AC slow charge (at least for the rest of the year). So I am hoping nothing will blow up until I get an update. If I am still on update freeze and don’t get this one, I may not push my luck too much and take it to the dealer once I hit 10K to take care of all 3 recalls/customer satisfaction issues.

Disclaimer: I don’t have the text of the recall in front of me. My understanding of it’s intent is partly based on what I have read on the forum and may be somewhat inaccurate.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I haven' received anything since 6.1.0 (October 12th), which is annoying. Does anyone have access to check my OTA history?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I haven' received anything since 6.1.0 (October 12th), which is annoying. Does anyone have access to check my OTA history?
I do....just need your VIN. Post or PM......whatever you prefer.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I got the same thing. My understanding is that we will get an OTA in Q4 of 2023. That probably means December 31st. If you want the update before then, you should go to your dealer. If I understand it correctly, the truck does not have all the safety settings in place so that if during DCFC charging your contacts are getting too hot, it slows down or stops charging. They May be wording it this way so if you barbecue your truck before the fix is applied, Ford can say we told you you should have gone to the dealer, but if nothing happens, they have saved you a trip. I think one of the functions of this update may be to alert Ford if dealer need to fix something they can not see with current software. If you already took your truck to dealer for the update and they find out the fix is needed, they will do the work. I am on the lazy side and not too eager to deal with dealer if I can avoid it. I do exclusively AC slow charge (at least for the rest of the year). So I am hoping nothing will blow up until I get an update. If I am still on update freeze and don’t get this one, I may not push my luck too much and take it to the dealer once I hit 10K to take care of all 3 recalls/customer satisfaction issues.

Disclaimer: I don’t have the text of the recall in front of me. My understanding of it’s intent is partly based on what I have read on the forum and may be somewhat inaccurate.
The official Ford document doesn’t state that the problem is exclusive to DCFC. The SOBDM that is being updated should be monitoring both sets of pins in the charge port.
Sponsored