• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HVAC and Range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bikes
Wondering if the EPA range reported by any of the EV makers is with the HVAC system operating the whole time. I'm in central Texas and run the AC in my truck 8+ months of the year. If I cannot expect to get the 300 mile range while using HVAC, the truck may be a non-starter.
Sponsored

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning / 2023 6.7L Lariat F-350
AC really isn't the problem actually. It's relatively minimal in impact to your overall range to run the AC. Heating is actually more of a concern as batteries are less optimal at cold temperatures. I believe these things just run the AC in reverse for heat pump mode for efficiency. Not sure how the handle extreme cold heating though. Probably an inefficient heating element of some sort.

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I live southeast of New Orleans and have driven PHEVs for years. Air conditioning has minimal effect on range in my experience. Maybe 2% at most. Heating, on the other hand, can really drag the battery down. I've found that preconditioning my car while its plugged in and using the heated seats helps me to use far less battery to heating the car. Luckily, in southeast Louisiana, there might be ten days a year at most when I have to actually run the heater.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I think you'll lose more range in the winter than summer.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
My 2013 Ford Focus EV with a new refurb battery states 82 mi range fully charged on the range guess o meter. If I turn on the AC it drops 9-11 miles. Now the batteries and range guess o meter technology have improved but you will have less range using AC/heat. Not sure if the Lightning will have a heat pump or be a purely resistive heating option. I live in South Florida so I use the AC daily but use heated seats instead of cabin heat in the winter for both days that are cold(ish). Has anyone asked about a heat pump from the Lighting Q&A technical meetings?

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I never really noticed a significant loss in range when I had my Model 3, it more noticeable with the heater on.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
My Teslas have never been noticeably impacted by blasting the AC, even in AZ or the surrounding area when super hot. As others have pointed out, it’s the heater that sucks up the juice. The new heat pump design in the Model Y and updated Model S (Plaid) are way more efficient in this regard and the cars fare a lot better in the cold with these changes. Not sure what to expect just yet from the F-150 Lightning. Not so concerned about summer unless I’m really pulling something heavy. I’m more wondering if the truck can be truly usable for reasonable range through a Colorado or Wyoming winter.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
I live southeast of New Orleans and have driven PHEVs for years. Air conditioning has minimal effect on range in my experience. Maybe 2% at most. Heating, on the other hand, can really drag the battery down. I've found that preconditioning my car while its plugged in and using the heated seats helps me to use far less battery to heating the car. Luckily, in southeast Louisiana, there might be ten days a year at most when I have to actually run the heater.
That's good to know, I'm in the greater New Orleans area, westbank.

Aamyotte

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
AC really isn't the problem actually. It's relatively minimal in impact to your overall range to run the AC. Heating is actually more of a concern as batteries are less optimal at cold temperatures. I believe these things just run the AC in reverse for heat pump mode for efficiency. Not sure how the handle extreme cold heating though. Probably an inefficient heating element of some sort.
Some of the manufacturer's use the heat pump (AC in reverse) for heating. Not the Mach-e and have not seen what the Lightning has for heating. Heat pumps are effective for temperatures above -13f/-25c, in Northern Ontario where I live it get colder than that and the heat pump wouldn't be able to keep up. It would be interesting if the manufacturers would put out EPA on 80f and -13f.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
The coolant system for the batteries circulates fluid similar to an ICE vehicle cooling system, the only problem is the coolant is no where near as hot as it needs to be to provide enough cabin heat, it should hover some where around 90F +/-

If they were to take that and add what would essentially be a diesel block heater to a separate reservoir it could help in the reduction of battery energy (theoretically).

That coupled with TED's in the seats, might be a way to drop battery draw as opposed to throwing a toaster grid into a box with fan forced air across the heating coils.

Where I live a heat pump setup would work better.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Wondering if the EPA range reported by any of the EV makers is with the HVAC system operating the whole time. I'm in central Texas and run the AC in my truck 8+ months of the year. If I cannot expect to get the 300 mile range while using HVAC, the truck may be a non-starter.
Pro Tip, start your AC while your truck is plugged in. It’ll save you a bit of range.

I think you'll lose more range in the winter than summer.
Generally speaking, you are correct. Fortunately, the OP lives in Austin so it’s not really that big of a deal.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Day to day driving you probably will have plenty of range that it's not going to matter. For a long distance trip, slow down 5mph and you'll make it back up. Especially if you typically drive 75mph+
Sponsored