• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HVAC noise - how noisy?

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
I seem to remember to have read that the fan and/or compressor on the Lightning is very loud. I cannot find the source of that any more, so hopefully an owner can comment: Is that true? If so, is it the fan or the compressor?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
I am curious about this because my 2013 fx4 screams with the fan noise. I turn it off in the drive thru.

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
I believe the fan noise comments were related to charging and might have been related to the Mach E.

When the coolant fan comes on. Not the A/C compressor. Note to self. Don’t charge outside the bedroom window. I don’t have my Lightning yet, scheduled to build next week. Someone who has picked up their Lightening can verify this quickly.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
A few weeks ago, a Youtuber posted from a fast charger. Sometime into the charging session, the HV battery cooling system fans kicked in with a passion.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
In the test drive we had, the sound of the cooling/AC was probably about equivalent to an idling compact car engine.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If the vehicle is warm, or it is warm out, and your turn on the HVAC, the cooling system will kick into high gear at first, which is noisy. It then backs down. Big nothing burger.

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
The HVAC is louder than I would have expected but can not be heard from within the cabin.

OP
OP

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
A few weeks ago, a Youtuber posted from a fast charger. Sometime into the charging session, the HV battery cooling system fans kicked in with a passion.
This is helpful - thanks to both of you. Makes sense. I am mainly wondering if it is possible to nap in the truck with the AC running (or heater). This would often be while charging during road tripping....which uses high power charging (noisy at times, per your responses).

I doubt the HV battery cooler would come on at home.....unless you have super high-power DC service to your home (32A or 80A charging I doubt will cause heat requiring active cooling)

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
This is helpful - thanks to both of you. Makes sense. I am mainly wondering if it is possible to nap in the truck with the AC running (or heater). This would often be while charging during road tripping....which uses high power charging (noisy at times, per your responses).

I doubt the HV battery cooler would come on at home.....unless you have super high-power DC service to your home (32A or 80A charging I doubt will cause heat requiring active cooling)
While DCFC I usually press the start button without touching the brake to put it in "Acc".

The HVAC does come on and keep me cool and it doesn't seem to impact charging at all. This is with temps in high '90s.

I have started the truck prior to departing from the house and hopped out to check the mail and heard the HVAC at full tilt (upper 90s outside). It's loud enough that you'd think it was an ICE engine in there. But once it cools the cabin down it gets pretty quiet.

The HV cooling pump(s) do come on when it's charging at the house but it's not very loud.

Mike
Sponsored