• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HVJB in the Lightning

iam7foot1

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach E GT PE & 23 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired Tech
2022 Mustang Mach E GTPE owner here. I just had my third High Voltage Junction Box replaced in less than a year. Each time, my car is in the shop for 6 weeks. Ford has offered to buy my car back for the $72k I originally paid.

I'm considering the Lightning. I know the Lighting and MME share many parts but can't find anything about this. Does this issue happen to the Lightning?
TYIA
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
2022 Mustang Mach E GTPE owner here. I just had my third High Voltage Junction Box replaced in less than a year. Each time, my car is in the shop for 6 weeks. Ford has offered to buy my car back for the $72k I originally paid.

I'm considering the Lightning. I know the Lighting and MME share many parts but can't find anything about this. Does this issue happen to the Lightning?
TYIA
I have seen few HVBJB posts, but there have been battery module replacements (parts of a battery).

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I had a friend tell me yesterday that 'all' Lightnings had been recalled because of, at least in his mind, many had went up in a blaze due to the high-voltage batteries.... interesting... I told him I had 28,000 plus miles, had not had a single issue, and have never yet received any 'recall' from Ford - but he still stomped around and told me that he had heard it from a good source, over 6 months ago, and he was 'sticking to his guns' that I should immediately be concerned and return the truck to the FORD dealer right across the street.... oh well, some folks you can't talk to, no matter what the 'real world' evidence proves. My truck was sitting right there. It was not on fire.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

TYIA
Ford has not had a problem with the Junction Box in the Lightning. I don't think they share the same part. Ford made changes to the Lightning to sustain a higher pack discharge because of towing. I doubt it will experience the issues the Mach-E has.

OP
OP

iam7foot1

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Tech
Ford has not had a problem with the Junction Box in the Lightning. I don't think they share the same part. Ford made changes to the Lightning to sustain a higher pack discharge because of towing. I doubt it will experience the issues the Mach-E has.
Thanks for the responses everyone. After posting this, I've had at least a dozen PMs from Lighting owners that have needed HVJB replacement. There is a thread here: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/powertrain-malfunction-reduced-power.12873/

I just want a reliable EV so I think I'm going to purchase a Rivian R1T instead.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the responses everyone. After posting this, I've had at least a dozen PMs from Lighting owners that have needed HVJB replacement. There is a thread here: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/powertrain-malfunction-reduced-power.12873/

I just want a reliable EV so I think I'm going to purchase a Rivian R1T instead.
Those faults are for a battery module, not the junction box.

Good luck with the Rivian. They have their own problems, and no dealer network to do repairs.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
No issues with my 2023 Lightning. Wife also no issues with her 2022 MME. Both have been 100% with no unplanned down time. Not knocking the Rivian, but it wouldn’t be the truck for me since it is smaller and I need the utility.
Sorry for your bad luck with the MME, but don’t shy away from the Lightning.

Biobob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I had a friend tell me yesterday that 'all' Lightnings had been recalled because of, at least in his mind, many had went up in a blaze due to the high-voltage batteries.... interesting... I told him I had 28,000 plus miles, had not had a single issue, and have never yet received any 'recall' from Ford - but he still stomped around and told me that he had heard it from a good source, over 6 months ago, and he was 'sticking to his guns' that I should immediately be concerned and return the truck to the FORD dealer right across the street.... oh well, some folks you can't talk to, no matter what the 'real world' evidence proves. My truck was sitting right there. It was not on fire.
Sounds like you’re friend reads to much on line BS.
The only recall on the Lightning is for not having a drain hole in the back light lens.
I have had my truck for over a year and the only problem I have had controlling the garage door.
Also with SunRun.
Some people believe anything that they see on the internet.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
We also have a Mach-e (GT) that had to have the HVBJB replaced. Zero issues with the Lightning. There have been a few folks with misc. battery module issues, but nothing like the systematic issues the Mach-e had/has.

5 star - would buy again.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Sounds like you’re friend reads to much on line BS.
The only recall on the Lightning is for not having a drain hole in the back light lens.
I have had my truck for over a year and the only problem I have had controlling the garage door.
Also with SunRun.
Some people believe anything that they see on the internet.
The Lightning has had several recalls, not just one. Some, like the wiper motor, are shared with ICE F-150s. The rear lightbar issue has zero to do with not having a drain hole, it has microcracks that let water in.

Anotehr recall was for select 2023s with battery pack issues. A very small number (18) were impacted. This was tied to the fire experienced at a storage area at the plant.

Another recall was for close to 3,000 for having a software issue regarding TPMS low pressure warnings, because the value was set wrong at the factory.

The wiper motor recall involved potentially every Lightning made up through August 16, 2022. At a minimum, the part needs to be inspected to see if it is affected.

I don't know if I missed any, but like any vehicle it's more than 1.

Sponsored
OP
OP

iam7foot1

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Tech
We also have a Mach-e (GT) that had to have the HVBJB replaced. Zero issues with the Lightning. There have been a few folks with misc. battery module issues, but nothing like the systematic issues the Mach-e had/has.

5 star - would buy again.
Thank you for the reply. This helps. After sleeping on it and everyone's input, I think I'm going to go with the Lightning or a less expensive Mach E. I paid almost $80k for my GTPE. I may just go for a $40k Mach E instead.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Thank you for the reply. This helps. After sleeping on it and everyone's input, I think I'm going to go with the Lightning or a less expensive Mach E. I paid almost $80k for my GTPE. I may just go for a $40k Mach E instead.
I have both a Mach-E and a Lightning. If I could only have one, it would be the Lightning.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have both a Mach-E and a Lightning. If I could only have one, it would be the Lightning.
Agreed - Though my wife would keep the Mach-e!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Agreed - Though my wife would keep the Mach-e!
I would have said the same thing a month ago. But then we decided to switch vehicles for a bit so I can put some miles on the Mach-E. Now I don't know when I'll get my Lightning back. She loves it.