• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Induction Cooking Gear and Energy Usage Estimate

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I got an induction stove from Costco, Tramotina Model 81500/108. It's 1800W / 120V. $120 and includes a 4qt pot and pan. And it has an unlimited duration return policy if something goes wrong. (The Costco Visa card just removed the 2y of extra warranty coverage in January this year for things you can't return. BOO! - anyone know another credit card for free 2y+ extended warranty coverage?)

The induction stove works great with the small cast iron pan I already had. You do have to be careful to not use too high an induction power level with cast iron. That included pot is really big for boiling water for one or two people, so I got a smaller 1ish qt stainless steel, Tfal ingenio. I really only wanted the small pot, but you get three nesting pots and a detachable handle for $60. I can save some space and ditch two types of fuel and their partials: I get to ditch the much larger Coleman grill/stove combo, propane canister, partial propane canister, jetboil stove and its pot, butane fuel canister, a partial butane canister, and a separate bowl. Hurray, no more partial canisters from car camping! I'll just continue accumulating them from rarer backpacking...

Here's an induction cooking energy usage estimate. I've heard there's 400W overhead for having the truck and pro-power on. A liter of water boils in 4 min on level 10 with the stainless steel pot (120 Wh + 27 Wh overhead = 147Wh). You can cook for 10 minutes on level 1 for 58 Wh = 18 Wh + 40Wh overhead. So, a camping day for me would likely be a liter of water in the morning (147 Wh) and another liter in the evening (147 Wh) and 10 min of level 1 cooking in the evening (58 Wh) totaling 352 Wh/day.

The 131 kWh battery has a highway range of 283.1 miles. That's about 463 Wh per highway mile. One day of cooking uses 0.76 highway miles. One week of cooking uses 2.46 kWh (1.9%) or 5.3 miles of highway range and about $0.40 at my home electricity rate if level 2 charging is 90% efficient. Perhaps there are some additional DC/AC conversion efficiencies to include if that's not already included in the 400W overhead.

Hurray for a more compact camp kitchen with the Lightning!
Sponsored

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Camping right now and starting to look at utilizing the pro power... Induction cooktop and a plug in cooler (dometic is what I'm looking at right now) seem like logical things to start with.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Chase Visa adds 1 year warranty.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Chase Visa adds 1 year warranty.
Which card? None of my chase visa cards have any extended warranty anymore. Amazon prime, freedom, freedom unlimited, ihg, sapphire reserve.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Sponsored
OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I just picked up a couple of stainless steel plates from REI I was going to use as a pot/pan lid in addition to a plate to replace some plastic plates. I am new to induction, but now I was curious about these. They are weakly magnetic (much less than the stainless(?) bottom on the Tfal pot - and cast iron).

The induction stove will error if you put incompatible (non-magnetic) material on it. I was able to boil some water in the stainless plate. The detachable Tfal handle fits the stainless plate well enough (the instructions definitely warn not to use the handle with other "cookware"). So, it could compact the kitchen kit even further with the triple purpose plate, pan, and lid maybe replacing the cast iron.

Thanks for the chase card recommendation with 1y added warranty. It looks like the Amazon card also has 1y added warranty as well. 2y added warranty on the Costco visa was nice while it lasted.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
The Lightning is the ultimate back country, off the beaten path, into the National forests camping vehicle. Power up your rooftop tent or your on ground campsite. Set up your Pro Power outlets, switch your instrument screens to calm/dark mode, lock your truck and you have power every evening for cooking and lighting your tent. Power your portable fridge/freezer box or a small cooling fan at your campsite. Loosing 4-6 miles of range per day, on a three day camping trip, is just what I need to stay a bit more comfortable while camping. Also the cooler can stay in the frunk away from any wildlife. The neat think about Pro Power is that you can select the outlets you want to power in the vehicle. You can always monitor your consumption thru your FordPass unless you are literally camping in remote areas.

Reactions: LOV

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
The Lightning is the ultimate back country, off the beaten path, into the National forests camping vehicle.
Hey Nikos, I fully agree with your post, as I’m planning/building my dream Fossi—FREE Overland Vehicle. Thanks for the tip about: “switch your instrument screens to calm/dark mode” - I did not know you could do that.
Happy Trails!
Scott

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
Hurray for a more compact camp kitchen with the Lightning!
Assuming you charge with renewable electricity, your induction-based camp kitchen is both compact and Climate Friendly, AND you can cook in situations that prohibit open flames!

Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Assuming you charge with renewable electricity, your induction-based camp kitchen is both compact and Climate Friendly, AND you can cook in situations that prohibit open flames!
I agree. Especially out West, camping on BLM territory or National parks or State Parks or US Forest lands, were open flames are restrictive or strictly prohibited. If you really concerned about running your lightning's power reserves, then consider a portable solar panels power station. It will meet all your power needs while off grid/back country stays. The Lightning will take care of you though with enough power to trek 50 miles in, 5 days off grid camping and 50 miles out without any worries.

Reactions: LOV

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt