• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Silent_Thunder

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 1993 F-150 XL 2WD
Occupation
Sustainable Landscape Design & Install
Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your experience, and yes, I'm VERY jealous (I mean CONGRATS!). We're getting rid of our Model 3 (mine is leaving first, and my wife already is planning for us to get rid of hers & was eyeing the Cadillac Lyriq). She's addicted to having a frunk to put her things in, so we may be looking at another truck!
I love the frunk! Iā€™ve already used it more in four days than Iā€™ve used the Model 3ā€™s in four years!
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Their billing set up, maybe it'll be different integrated, but they have tiers of pricing - if you want to buy in and pay a monthly fee, you get cheaper rates - just something I don't like. There are 4 in the DFW area of 7 million people. Just in the last year many cases of chargers not working when needed.
I'll comment on this. It's $4 per month/$48 per yr, to get the discounted rate. You will get that back and then some the first time you use EA. On a trip from Knoxville to Baltimore I covered close to 4 months of membership just on the trip there. Round trip I covered most of the year in savings.

Ford has a program that costs $50 per year for EA and you can plug and charge. It's convenient but the cost is $2 higher than if you just got the EA membership, you don't get the plug and charge convenience but using the app to initiate the session is not bad at all.

Reactions: GDN

dannynoone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Big 3 Automaker Manager
Ok, we have over 500 miles under our belts with our Lariat and are starting to get the feel for this machine. Weā€™re seeing avg mi/kWh in the 1.8-2.2 on highway (avg speed of 70 mph) and 2.8-3.4 in town (speeds varying 25-50 mph).

Love, LOVE the hands free ā€œBlue Cruise,ā€ but still need to play with it a bit more. I like that it truly is hands free so long as youā€™re looking ahead. I like that it accelerates when changing lanes instead of hesitating like auto pilot does on Tesla. I like that it doesnā€™t try to maintain the middle of an unmarked/unlined merge lane. I didnā€™t experience the jockeying that @oneguynick experiencedā€¦so no nausea here šŸ¤žšŸ¼.

This thing is POWERFUL! I took some friends for a test drive yesterday and even I, as a former Model 3 owner, was BLOWN AWAY by the torque! It continues to pull hard well beyond posted speed limits (which, I, of course didnā€™t exceed šŸ˜‡). Case I point: one of my favorite tricks in the Model 3 was to stomp on the ā€œgoā€ pedal at 40/45 mph and hear the gasps for air from my occupants. Never once did I hear tire squeal from it. The Lightning, on the other hand, spins the fronts when I attempt that. BE FOREWARNEDā€”make sure to keep both hands on the wheel; the torque steer threw me for a loop when I was one-handing it. I predict lots of crashes if people arenā€™t mindful of the power this thing has. Oh, and this was all in ā€œNormalā€ mode, too šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜†

In preparation for the rides yesterday, I took it to a touchfree car wash to clean off some of the bugs and mess from our first trip over the weekend. The ā€œmega power frunkā€ stayed nice and dry inside, but the interior fenders were splashed/wet. I donā€™t think itā€™ll be a concern, but as a handyman, I intend to keep tools up there on the daily. (See pics)

Finally, itā€™s going to take some getting used to if youā€™re coming from Tesla. (We traded our Model 3 in and are no longer Tesla owners). And this is just one use case *with a brand new truck*. I accept my husband and I are early adopters and trust this will get better with time.

We left our cottage in SW MI with enough projected range to get to a DC Fast charger along our route (roughly 50% battery or 139 miles of projected range). When entering I-94, the navigation had us stopping at an EA Charger in Evergreen Park IL with a delta of 20 or so miles. Sunday was a very windy day and we were driving SW into SW windsā€”massive headwind. While we got 2.2 mi/kWh going up to the cottage on Saturday, our efficiency was shrinking to 1.6/1.8 during this leg of the journey. As we started driving home, the projected range and destination delta began shrinking significantly.

Hereā€™s where I missed our Model 3. Weā€™d normally top up at a supercharger before hitting the road (our cottage doesnā€™t even have grounded outlets so charging wasnā€™t happening there). The supercharger network made traveling so simple in a Tesla. We do lots of road-trips each year and have taken our Model 3 to all of them since purchasing in 2018.

As we were nearing the Indiana state line, the nav system began redirecting us 34 miles in another redirection to a DC Fast Charger along I-80 (we were traveling along I-94). We were basically in a DC Fast Charger dead zone. First, we hopped on PlugShare to see what nearby chargers existed. We found a Chargepoint charger at the next exit and headed that way. Upon arrival, we watched a Mach-E plug into the only CCS at that station. He planned on being there for 20 minutes. Impatience got the better of us so we decided to head to the next nearest ā€œfast chargerā€ which brought us to a travel stop on I-80 East (yes, opposite from our destination). After 38 minutes, we only mustered 62 miles and plugged in our route home, which still took us farther East to a DC Fast Charger in South Bend. Theyā€™re, we used 62 or 63 kWh of our 250 kWh balance from the Blue Oval network and did a plug and charge. Tty minutes later we added 142 miles which was plenty to get us home. Whatā€™s typically a 2.5 hour ride, turned into a 4.5+ hour trek home.

I admit I was frustrated. Was it the sunburn? Was I hangry? Did I contemplate pulling over and listing on carsandbids.com? Yes. Itā€™s just the trade-off of being an early adopter in a vehicle thatā€™s still getting used to us.

6EC8B897-76CF-439A-BDCC-B18D0BE3CDE2.jpeg

E58B87B8-AE8C-4406-8AEC-D8DDF643B47F.jpeg

132B11BF-8289-4ADB-9A75-E3C6521471EE.jpeg

15B0A9C9-2E98-4D1F-8A0D-360B059FF88A.jpeg

9C47D4BF-CBC5-492C-BAD0-E19A751C6F0E.jpeg

D0F864CA-225B-4F2E-A1D7-9263760FE583.jpeg

00742184-41BB-4BBF-9DA1-6842CE2E9796.jpeg

5274334B-D46D-450E-AB96-046F2C5E96A0.jpeg

edit: updated tag for @oneguynick.
Where in South Bend was this fast charger? I drive up to St. Joseph often and need some good chargers to use around that area. Thanks and cheers!

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Ok, we have over 500 miles under our belts with our Lariat and are starting to get the feel for this machine. Weā€™re seeing avg mi/kWh in the 1.8-2.2 on highway (avg speed of 70 mph) and 2.8-3.4 in town (speeds varying 25-50 mph).
edit: updated tag for @oneguynick.
What is the temperature? 70's?

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
To match Ford's advertised range, you would have to hit approximately 2.35-2.4 miles per kWh constantly (That's maybe going a constant 35-45). The figures you got aren't bad, but also expected since the truck is basically a big brick going down the road.

I have a 2006 F-150 XLT 5.4L. I am getting tired of its 14-15.5mpg on the highway, and 9-11mpg city (and spending $50-70 in gas), and I'll be glad to have the Lightning once I order it near the end of 2023 or start of 2024 (It's when I can afford it after paying off some bills). It'll be nice to pay maybe $12-15 to charge at home (and maybe $25-35 on the road)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Silent_Thunder

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Where in South Bend was this fast charger? I drive up to St. Joseph often and need some good chargers to use around that area. Thanks and cheers!
My badā€”it was in Mishawaka at the University Park Mall.

OP
OP
Silent_Thunder

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What is the temperature? 70's?
Sunday was quite warm in the mid-80s with gusty SW winds (the direction we were headed). We had the climate at 72Ā° and the seats on the middle ventilation setting.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Sunday was quite warm in the mid-80s with gusty SW winds (the direction we were headed). We had the climate at 72Ā° and the seats on the middle ventilation setting.
That is ideal for battery. So for 70 mph 2miles/kWh is achievable and 2.5 miles/kWh is doable for local. This is not bad actually.

OP
OP
Silent_Thunder

Silent_Thunder

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That is ideal for battery. So for 70 mph 2miles/kWh is achievable and 2.5 miles/kWh is doable for local. This is not bad actually.
Iā€™ve been exceeding 3-3.5 mi/kWh locally, but I drive easy. I even saw it creep over 4 at one point during my errands today.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Their billing set up, maybe it'll be different integrated, but they have tiers of pricing - if you want to buy in and pay a monthly fee, you get cheaper rates - just something I don't like. There are 4 in the DFW area of 7 million people. Just in the last year many cases of chargers not working when needed.

Kyle from OOS used them for his Taycan Cannonball run - they had to plan ahead and EA checked out each charger to make sure they were working, and I think he still had an issue or two.

VW built it only because they had to, I don't think there has been any true desire to make it good.
That's fair...but discount subscriptions is not limited to EA and across all industries(loyalty card programs are the norm).

I think it is always a good idea to plan ahead and check charger availability/service status. I would do this with Superchargers also--until we get to the point there are so many you can easily jump from one charger to the next(i.e. chargers were as numerous as gas stations with several nearby).

If you recall in the video, ironically there were issues with the Tesla Superchargers as well. In fact-- despite the issues with the EA chargers-- CCS cars finished #1 and #2 ahead of Tesla.

EA has come a long way. Is it as quick and troublefree as Tesla..no...but better than any of the other CCS alternatives from what I have seen.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Sorry, not about driving, but since you have one...Do the rear seat backs fold forward for some storage space behind them? Looked like latching was very difficult to work with if they do fold like in other F-150s.

romeoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Telsa Model 3, 18 Ford Raptor 22 Ford Lightning
what rate does this charge on the mobile charger? what mph charge does it get? Thanks

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
what rate does this charge on the mobile charger? what mph charge does it get? Thanks
Figure about 2 miles per kWhr.

So if you use the mobile charger on 240V (L2) - 240V x 30A x .95 efficiency = ~6.8kw. -> about 15 miles per hour

If you use it on 110V at 20A - 110V x 20A x .85 efficiency = ~1.9kW -> about 4 miles per hour

If you use it on 110V at 15A - 110V x 15A x .85 efficiency = ~1.4kW -> about 3 miles per hour

Cut each of these by ~2-3 miles per hour if charging in the cold.
Sponsored