• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Am I wrong in wanting Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (with speed sign recognition) to allow setting the tolerance in % of speed, and not MPH over?

5MPH over in a 50 is fine where I live. 5MPH over in a 20 (school zone) is not. 10% - 12% would cover most of my use cases.

Also, the truck seems to recognize signs well, but sometimes reacts late, and either blows into school zones (35 in a 20) or slams on the brakes. Additionally, we have "end of school zone" signs, but not return to speed signs, so I am stuck going 20MPH until the next speed sign, which can be up to a mile.

Anyone else hitting these issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Fair point, but I disagree. For me, maintaining 20MPH +-2mph takes more attention to the speedometer than I want to give it, and would rather be looking out the window.

My Volt only goes to 25MPH min, and was really looking forward to the truck allowing it. Only to find too many cruise control options with cumbersome settings for this typical scenario. If I turn all the cool features off and just set the speed, this works great, otherwise not so much.

With Adaptive CC I can forget to lower the speed, then if someone in front speeds up (which they often do past the school, but still in the zone) I am speeding. And the problem with IACC is outlined in the OP.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I'm just going to throw this out there and be that guy....

Using speed control in a school zone is probably not a best practice due to safety concerns.

Just my opinion....
If you subscribe to the commonly parroted misinformation that driver assistance automations are less safe than nothing. sure. Based on the data though and also based on my anecdotal first-hand experience of driving cars w/Autopilot for several years now in an area with heavy school zones... it's safer.

Let the car keep an eye on speed and other cars so you can keep your attention on the larger picture brings more (not less) safety to the game. Rather than having to constantly take my eyes off of the road to micro-manage my speed and staring at the car in front of me I can keep a wider view of the picture to include both sides of the street, the children beyond cars as they approach cars to know if they've got into a car or could potentially walk out between cars into traffic... I won't get into every scenario where I've personally witnessed a benefit.

The sooner we drop this false narrative that automated driver assistance technology is somehow more dangerous the better off we'll be. It's been around & in consumer's hands for nearly a decade now (my first car w/Tesla's Autopilot was a 2014) and the overwhelming data is that it adds quite a bit of safety to just about every scenario it's able to be used in.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Am I wrong in wanting Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (with speed sign recognition) to allow setting the tolerance in % of speed, and not MPH over?
Yes, you are wrong in wanting % tolerance.

Vast majority can't do the math to understand.

Ford F-150 Lightning Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control Carlin stupid people

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I’ve used cruise control in school zones but that was old school cruise control. I found it very helpful. Probably best to turn the adaptive in those areas.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
If you subscribe to the commonly parroted misinformation that driver assistance automations are less safe than nothing. sure. Based on the data though and also based on my anecdotal first-hand experience of driving cars w/Autopilot for several years now in an area with heavy school zones... it's safer.

Let the car keep an eye on speed and other cars so you can keep your attention on the larger picture brings more (not less) safety to the game. Rather than having to constantly take my eyes off of the road to micro-manage my speed and staring at the car in front of me I can keep a wider view of the picture to include both sides of the street, the children beyond cars as they approach cars to know if they've got into a car or could potentially walk out between cars into traffic... I won't get into every scenario where I've personally witnessed a benefit.

The sooner we drop this false narrative that automated driver assistance technology is somehow more dangerous the better off we'll be. It's been around & in consumer's hands for nearly a decade now (my first car w/Tesla's Autopilot was a 2014) and the overwhelming data is that it adds quite a bit of safety to just about every scenario it's able to be used in.
A. I was talking about a specific situation, not autopilot (or driver's assistance in general)
B. This is with adaptive cruise control, NOT autopilot
C. TBH, anyone who parrots out "autopilot" with its phantom braking and Elons troubling attitude towards safety just lost the argument.

I'd like to invite you to provide proof drivers assistance are safer in school zones vs regular driving. I'm not interested in your personal opinion.

Do I think Driver's assistance systems have a place in modern cars? Absolutely I think they do. They are valuable to reduce fatigue for highway driving and react quicker than humans in known threats. However, in the situation you describe they can lull a driver into a false sense of security and reduce reaction time.-- until we get into an AI situation.

Question... would the adaptive cruise on the Lightning detect a pedestrian and begin emergency braking faster than human reaction? I don't *think* so.

Last edited:

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Is it just me or is this a huge 1st world problem ?

5 mph over in a 50 zone might not get you a ticket where you live, but technically you're still breaking the law ;), so just stick to the speed limit all the time and not just in 20 zones and it's no longer an issue.

Maintaining constant speed isn't that hard, so I find the whole driver aids vs. not a moot point. If you find it distracting/hard to maintain 20mph without driver aids then perhaps there's more practice needed ?

Quit effin around on your phones and pay attention to the road and it'll all be fine. 👍

GarryJ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Java developer

5MPH over in a 50 is fine where I live. 5MPH over in a 20 (school zone) is not. 10% - 12% would cover most of my use cases.

Also, the truck seems to recognize signs well, but sometimes reacts late, and either blows into school zones (35 in a 20) or slams on the brakes. Additionally, we have "end of school zone" signs, but not return to speed signs, so I am stuck going 20MPH until the next speed sign, which can be up to a mile. I understand that safety in the school zone is important, but I don't think that driving 2-3 miles over the road can have a big impact on the safety of students. But at the same time, I risk getting a big fine, and the cruise control itself may work with an error. At university, I had an assignment to write some civil rights essays. Thanks to https://edubirdie.com/examples/civil-rights-movement/ I have collected some of the information. I see that everyone writes about serious problems in society and almost no one writes about ordinary situations like this, when due to a hardware error we can receive serious fines. Perhaps someone has thoughts on this.

Anyone else hitting these issues?
There are several school zones near where I live. I'm used to being extremely careful near schools and prefer not to use cruise control in the area. I think it's better to drive the car yourself.

Last edited:

N0v0w3ls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
The collision avoidance systems are still active whether cruise control is enabled or not so I see no reasonable safety argument to this. This question seems more of a "how can I have my car automatically keep me from getting a ticket in a school zone". If you feel like your speedometer requires too much attention maintaining +/- 2mph at 20, slow down to 15mph and drive the car yourself.
Sponsored