• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jplus_Mike

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
na
Hi F-150 Lightning Owners!

I'm Mike from J+ Americas, the team behind the robust J+ BOOSTER 2 EV Charger. I’m thrilled to be part of this community and excited to introduce a product that complements the versatility and strength of your F-150 Lightning.

Our J+ BOOSTER 2 is built to keep up with your active lifestyle:

1. Safety and Quality: ETL Certified to rigorous UL Standards (UL 2594, UL 2231-1, and UL 2231-2), ensuring top-notch safety and reliability for your peace of mind.
  2. Rugged Durability: With an IP67 rating, our charger is completely waterproof and dustproof, making it ideal for any weather conditions you might encounter.
  3. High-Efficiency Charging: It supports both Level 1 and Level 2 charging, capable of up to 240V and 40A with included NEMA 14-50 & 5-15 adapters, ensuring that your Lightning is quickly and efficiently charged, ready for the road.
  4. Adaptable Plugs: The charger comes with a variety of adapters including NEMA 6-50 (Welding Plug), TT-30 (Campground Plug), 6-20, 6-15, 5-20, and more, providing flexible charging solutions wherever your adventures take you.
To make your introduction to J+ even sweeter, we’re offering an exclusive 10% discount on our J+ BOOSTER 2. Use the code FORD10 at checkout.

Learn more and get your J+ BOOSTER 2 here: J+ BOOSTER 2 Bundle Set
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I have this and love it. Cord is very manageable. The unit has been dependable and feels well built. The most important part of it is the adjustable output that has made it the go to charger for me.

It has an interesting light show when it is charging but I have not figured out how to turn it off. That can get annoying depending on where you plug it in.

The most important adapter I was interested in was 14-30 for dryer. At the time of purchase they said it will be available in a few months. That was 18 months ago.

Overall if you don't mind paying a few bucks more, I highly recommend it.

Edit: I have never charged at 40A. Only 32A and bellow so I am not sure how it does at max power.

Last edited:

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
What does this do that the Ford mobile power cord does not?

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Max's out 8A higher for starts, but most critically, it offers fully adjustable power settings so if you have to dial in your power draw to avoid tripping a breaker, let's say at a camp ground, you're able to do that.

For most other EVs, this is something that you can do from within the vehicle's interface, but for whatever reason, Ford decided to idiot-proof the Lightning, but eliminating any user selection of charging current from the UI.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
It can do 40 Amps while fords limited to 32, 5ft longer cable, additional adapters available for sale. ip67 rating vs ip66 meaning it is "Protection against full immersion for up to 30 minutes at depths between 15 cm and 1 metre"

Basically, if you charge vehicles in very wet outdoorsies area take this. Otherwise install use the ford one or have a 48amp hardwired at home.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As others mentioned above being able to adjust the current allows you to use this in many situations where you won't be able to use Ford Mobile Charger. A typical situation is using a dryer plug that is rated for 30 Amp. You can't use Ford because that plug can be used up to 24A continues. We have a property at a camp site that has electric water heater, HVAC is electric, Microwave, .... I feel comfortable running one thing while I am charging but if I had to do more, depending on what math says, I would go bellow 24.

If you are visiting a friend and they offer you to use their dryer plug and you are not sure about the wiring and don't want to set their house on fire, you may want to pick 20A instead of 24A.

On a 120F AZ day you may want to pick a lower current than a Sub zero Canadian day. Just saying, it is nice to have options.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Interesting,
thank you all
That would be nice to have in a pinch.
Ford could come out with more plug options as well I would think as mobile cord will already do 120V or 240V.
I purchased the mobile power cord as it was not included with my vehicle and now I have the FCSP installed at home after many calls to Ford and Sunrun as it took a month for Sunrun to pull their heads out! I mean, how hard can it be to slap a shipping label on a box?
-Sorry for venting.😤

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
@Jplus_Mike one suggestion for you. If you could modify the software to allow a 30A setting we could use it with the ProPower in the bed to charge another EV. The Ford mobile unit is a 30A unit but with the J+ you would have to charge at 24A to avoid blowing the breaker. I just had a conversation with another owner today looking for a mobile EVSE with a 30A option.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forgot to add; in Nov 22, I paid $600 for it. So with inflation, current price may be OK.

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I've had one of these for awhile. It's a great evse, but the promised adapters have been slow coming, and expensive.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Great video- if it can handle a tank running over it, it seems sturdy to me! Seems like a great option

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
@Jplus_Mike one suggestion for you. If you could modify the software to allow a 30A setting we could use it with the ProPower in the bed to charge another EV. The Ford mobile unit is a 30A unit but with the J+ you would have to charge at 24A to avoid blowing the breaker. I just had a conversation with another owner today looking for a mobile EVSE with a 30A option.
You don't want to run it at 30 amps on a 30 amp breaker. There's a 20% over head requirement, so max load for a 30 amp breaker is 24 amps, for a 40 amp breaker it's 32 amps. Im not an expert but I imagine this is why most chargers are 16a, 24a, 32a, and 40a.

OP
OP
Jplus_Mike

Jplus_Mike

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
na
I have this and love it. Cord is very manageable. The unit has been dependable and feels well built. The most important part of it is the adjustable output that has made it the go to charger for me.

It has an interesting light show when it is charging but I have not figured out how to turn it off. That can get annoying depending on where you plug it in.

The most important adapter I was interested in was 14-30 for dryer. At the time of purchase they said it will be available in a few months. That was 18 months ago.

Overall if you don't mind paying a few bucks more, I highly recommend it.

Edit: I have never charged at 40A. Only 32A and bellow so I am not sure how it does at max power.
Hey Maxx! Glad you are happy with the BOOSTER!

We've had some raw materials supplier issues with the 14-30. I'm told that has been cured and the 14-30 is queued for production sometime this summer. The same issue applied to the NEMA 6-50 and we got those back in stock last week!

OP
OP
Jplus_Mike

Jplus_Mike

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
na
It can do 40 Amps while fords limited to 32, 5ft longer cable, additional adapters available for sale. ip67 rating vs ip66 meaning it is "Protection against full immersion for up to 30 minutes at depths between 15 cm and 1 metre"

Basically, if you charge vehicles in very wet outdoorsies area take this. Otherwise install use the ford one or have a 48amp hardwired at home.
This is a pretty good summary here. 20% additional power is a nice addition vs the standard Ford Charger. I might also add that we have many customers using the BOOSTER 2 as their home wall charger. The value there is you have 1 unit for home and portable use, and you don't have the added costs of hardwired installation + multiple chargers. Thats a personal preference though.

One of my personal favorite features is the aluminum housing. It's super tough, and allows you to pretty much toss this thing around without feat of cracking it or damaging the components.

I'm not here to convince people to switch from a solution that currently works fine for them, I just want to present an additional option for those who may be in the market or have needs for something that can take a beating.
Sponsored