• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is the Lariat worth $40k more than the Pro?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I probably could have lived with retail availability of a Pro ER.
Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Ive got the Lariat ER coming within a month and then an R1T supposedly coming by Dec. If had what I REALLY wanted I would have gone with the basic pro at $40K. Used that as my work truck and been OK to beat it up. The lariat is expensive enough I wont be wanting to beat it up with work stuff. For instance - I needed a trenching attachment for my bobcat. The equipment rental place was ~50 minutes away. The trencher did not fit crossways in the bed of my F350. It went in catawhompus and was partially hanging on the tailgate. As I tried to get it out of the truck with my bobcat I dented the bed of that truck as it was hard to see. That round trip cost me $50-60 in my F350. Would I have wanted to take the lariat and drive for free? I probably would have regretted it once I saw the size of the trencher.

Most of my work and 4WD needs are local. I could have lived with the limited range. Then get the R1T as my nice every day driving car (with a bed). As it is -Im going with the lariat and see how it goes. Maybe change things up in Dec or at least leave that option open. It seems like at $40K minus the tax savings the pro is almost free. Or at least a quick pay back.

steve

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
If I were getting a truck just to replace my Ridgeline, I'd likely opt for the Pro, but the Lariat ER will replace my Ridgeline and Model S that I use for everything and not just truck stuff, so I'll appreciate the driver assistance features, longer range, more power, nicer interior, sunroof, better stereo, and better paint/wheels.

I don't think the Lariat is overpriced for what it is, but I do think the Pro is underpriced.
Hey! Let’s not give Ford any crazy ideas before they announce MY 2023 pricing….right?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I was in Wave 1, the Pro was available, but not truly what I was looking for. I've been fortunate to move up to additional luxuries as I've gotten older. This is also my daily driver. I can haul a group of people out to a nice dinner or a bed load of manure, all in style.

Truly - I had a 2014 F-150 Lariat that was everything I ever needed, and swallowed hard at paying $45K, but it was well loaded and loved driving it. But I'm a bit of a geek and Elon came along with his computer on fast wheels. So I swallowed a little harder as I moved to an AWD 3. Most incredible car I've driven, loved their implementation of SW and the speed and handling. Well here we are back at possibly having the best of both worlds - that EV machine in the form of my preferred pickup format. I swallowed really hard at the price, but truly the ER Lariat is also a good price point if you can get in on the Fed rebate. The Platinum was too much for me to swallow for the added benefit.

Will give it a shot. In a year or two if a Cybertruck is out we will evaluate again - I'm holding two very early reservations over there.

Last edited:

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I guess you would have had to driven both, or had both to know that answer. Each persons needs are different. If you don’t need the bells and whistles, or the extra range a lot of the time, I would guess no, not at all.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I have not seen Lariat yet, but today I went to Ford dealer and looked at Pro (indoor demo only).

It is definitely a superb value if you can order one this year as your net would be $34k+TTL after tax credit. I would not hesitate to order I am value oriented.

But, the decorations just feel very plastic, everywhere inside and outside. It is apparently a work truck. I assume Lariat would be way better. Whether it should cost $40k more is a different topic as we have no choice.

If I can, I would be happy to order a Pro. But I will be happy to take deliver of Lariat ER this year too.

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Pro SR is a unicorn. It cannot be purchased for 99.999% of buyers.

XLT SR was therefore the next best value option. Add the max tow, tow tech, 9.6kw onboard, tailgate step and you are set.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
That’s just been repeated and not really a fair thing. Ford has said they’ve produced as many Pros as Platinums.

Someone on the forums also posted an order tracker that showed Pros were the 2nd largest group behind the Lariats so far.

They just went early and fast because of the value.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

XLT SR was therefore the next best value option. Add the max tow, tow tech, 9.6kw onboard, tailgate step and you are set.
Agreed!
When I first heard of the Pro trim at $40K, I was amazed at the price point.

Then as I saw more and more realistic needs, I really wanted the XLT with cloth seats and some options.

When it came time to order, only the Lariat or Platinum were available.
Chose the Lariat SR.

Battery range is no big deal for me as I already have gotten over range anxiety with 4 years of "training wheels" EV driving.

Won't need to charge until every 2-3 weeks since I have a work charger available (free).

For distance trips I plan on doing, many stops will be the norm as I have gotten older and don't need to get to my destination in a hurry - love to make stops, recharge, stretch, even L2 public chargers are fine for me.

My primary use will be a daily driver to commute in an urban jungle so I am looking forward to the regen and hypermiling every day to see how high I can get over the EPA range.

My Lariat is supposed to show up in about 10 days:
Ford F-150 Lightning Is the Lariat worth $40k more than the Pro? Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 7.52.34 AM

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Thank you all for your responses. Ford was smart in the way they sold these trims. Not allowing one to pick individual options like on the ICE forced some of us to spend an extra $40k.

I would have settled for an XLT ER with the Twin panel, signature lighting, Blues Clues.

I will admit that the ventilated seats are nice. I think I should have gone out to actually sit in a Lariat prior to ordering, the interior materials, especially on the dash look and feel cheaper than the XLT ICE. I am not sure if Ford did this because of material shortages or to keep cost down. I am happy with my purchase and so far feels like my 21 with a lot better power, that’s for sure.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Thank you all for your responses. Ford was smart in the way they sold these trims. Not allowing one to pick individual options like on the ICE forced some of us to spend an extra $40k.

I would have settled for an XLT ER with the Twin panel, signature lighting, Blues Clues.

I will admit that the ventilated seats are nice. I think I should have gone out to actually sit in a Lariat prior to ordering, the interior materials, especially on the dash look and feel cheaper than the XLT ICE. I am not sure if Ford did this because of material shortages or to keep cost down. I am happy with my purchase and so far feels like my 21 with a lot better power, that’s for sure.
Congrats!

Nice to hear your long wait is finally over.

Enjoy your ride and let us know what happens...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Agreed!
When I first heard of the Pro trim at $40K, I was amazed at the price point.

Then as I saw more and more realistic needs, I really wanted the XLT with cloth seats and some options.

When it came time to order, only the Lariat or Platinum were available.
Chose the Lariat SR.

Battery range is no big deal for me as I already have gotten over range anxiety with 4 years of "training wheels" EV driving.

Won't need to charge until every 2-3 weeks since I have a work charger available (free).

For distance trips I plan on doing, many stops will be the norm as I have gotten older and don't need to get to my destination in a hurry - love to make stops, recharge, stretch, even L2 public chargers are fine for me.

My primary use will be a daily driver to commute in an urban jungle so I am looking forward to the regen and hypermiling every day to see how high I can get over the EPA range.

My Lariat is supposed to show up in about 10 days:
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 7.52.34 AM.png
You not having to deal with winter range reduction goes a long way towards making the SR a more livable battery choice.

RWS150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
My local dealer has a pro demo model that I spent about half an hour in and I have taken delivery of a Lariat 200 miles ago and with my experience it’s night and day. If you are ok with the extra money then absolutely it is worth it. The pro interior feels like a base work truck and the lariat feels more comfortable and equipped.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
You not having to deal with winter range reduction goes a long way towards making the SR a more livable battery choice.
Very well said !

You are correct - where I live I don't have winters or cold weather.

My biggest complaint is the heat all year around.

A/C turned on most of the time would me biggest EV drain.

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Living in the cold is a choice. No one is forcing you to stay there :)

come to the beach and enjoy an SR like the rest of us !
Sponsored