• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is the Lariat worth $40k more than the Pro?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The question is mainly for those who have taken delivery of their Lariat. If you had to do it over, would you have settled for a Pro SR instead? If the ER Batt was available on the Pro would that have made a difference?
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I would have had regrets with the Pro. It is a family/lifestyle vehicle for me. Would only want Pro as a work-centric or maybe commiter with benefits. Lack of extended range quickly dropped from consideration. 7.2kW in bed was a big part of value proposition.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
generally, the lower trim(s) give you move of what you 'need' in a truck, the higher trims might give you what you 'want'.... it's the same financial decision we all make each day when we choose to eat out, or really WHERE we eat out, and even versus if we make our meals ourselves at home - everything has a cost, it's up to you as to what is important to spend it on.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I wanted a Pro SR but got a Lariat ER because i thought it would have the best value of the remaining trim levels after the Pro was sold out. The Pro is definitely a better value and will likely retain value better than just about any vehicle on the market, especially considering the tax credit.

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
I’ve driven the Lariat ER and should be taking delivery of the Pro next week. For me, I have no need for anything more than 200 mile range as it’s not my vacation vehicle. It’s more than enough to go on travel hockey trips with my son and the price is just insane. Even with adding 9.6kw pro power on board and tow tech packages, it’s around 45k before incentives. It just doesn’t get better than that for what I need. Now the Lariat is an awesome truck and has a great sound system and comfy seats. The 15” screen is nice too, but I’ve used the 12” in an ICE F150 and it’s really good there as well. If you can afford a Lariat and don’t get paranoid about driving an expensive vehicle, go for it!

Sponsored

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
A big bit of the difference is the ER battery as well. It really comes down to need. I wanted a comfy lariat ER because it's what we use instead of a family SUV. We plan on roadtripping it, although I have some trepidation about that.

Lightninorian

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Pro
Occupation
Firefighter
Whatever fits your lifestyle the best. I live in the sierras in CA and take full advantage of all they have to offer. Hiking, biking, skiing, and the lake life. Add in 2 boys and a large dog and vinyl floor and seats just makes sense. I live where I am always on vacation so no need for LR battery. We do road trip a couple times a year but the charging system gets better as time goes on. Plus we are never in a hurry to relax. Enjoy the ride, stops included. If I can't spare a couple extra hours on a long road trip then maybe I shouldn't be going. Plus we have a pacifica if it is ever needed. I only need to tow the boat a couple times a year to put it on the water at the beginning of summer and take it off at the end. I have never liked using any kind of driver assist other than backup camera and sensors. I can't remember the last time I used cruise control. I prefer the smaller rims for off pavement driving and the smaller screen, sometimes smaller is better. The only thing I missed out on with the pro that I wanted was the folding work station console, color matched door handles and bumpers. The black bumpers might work out well though for winter driving with the sanded roads to the ski resorts. I might have the door handles painted and install the work station later. If I didn't have the option to order the pro I think I would have delayed in hopes of a 2023. Lastly I have given up on trying to impress people I don't like anyways so that reason for the upper trims got ruled out quickly. $40k is a lot of money to spend on other things. Those are my thoughts and reasons. Get what fits you best, its your money.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I went back and forth before I landed on a Lariat ER (which was good because it was slim pickings when I ordered). For awhile I have been rocking 2 vehicles - a more expensive fun 3 season car (current a GT350) and a cheaper truck for truck things (hauling) and winter driving. So my choice was to keep that setup with a Pro or SR XLT or drop to a single vehicle and go Lariat ER. Ended up going Lariat for a few reasons:

1) Desire to go all EV after our Mach-e experience

2) Realization that if I had an electric truck, I would basically never drive the fun car because of the huge cost/mile difference.

3) Key features I wanted in the Lightning to make it a great family road tripper and daily driver - ER battery, Blue cruise, heated and cooled seats, Pro power

4) More performance from the ER Battery

5) I really like the Light bars.....

All together the Lariat ER will be cheaper than my car and truck setup, not even counting the fuel and maintenance + insurance savings

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I wanted an ER battery and hate cloth seats, so Lariat ER it was for me. There is not a single feature on it that the $30k increase in price was worth, but I can't buy a Pro ER. The overall set of features is nice, but not needed. I may enjoy the Lariat more, but I will also baby it, which I did not think I would ever do with a truck.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The question is mainly for those who have taken delivery of their Lariat. If you had to do it over, would you have settled for a Pro SR instead? If the ER Batt was available on the Pro would that have made a difference?
Im giving it to you the other way around as a Pro SR order.

If you take the individual pieces and add it up, the value of the Lariat, especially in ER trim is there. But, that’s only if you appreciate those features.

A fully loaded Pro SR to get the Pro Power, go to a paint shop to get painted bumpers, add on running boards from the parts catalog, go to an upholster and get leather seats. They start adding up, and we didn’t get into copilot assist or active, etc. and you’ll easily go beyond the price of a Lariat.

But I can’t stress enough, you have to already want those things. More importantly, the price at which it’s at also has to be better than something else you might want.

The Pro just simplifies it since there’s nothing at that price point today and it happens to be pretty well optioned as a base. But if I didn’t have a desire for a smaller midsize truck, (R1T, RangerL) - meaning I know this isn’t a hold me over until - I would have definitely gone for a Lariat ER.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
If I were getting a truck just to replace my Ridgeline, I'd likely opt for the Pro, but the Lariat ER will replace my Ridgeline and Model S that I use for everything and not just truck stuff, so I'll appreciate the driver assistance features, longer range, more power, nicer interior, sunroof, better stereo, and better paint/wheels.

I don't think the Lariat is overpriced for what it is, but I do think the Pro is underpriced.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
If I were getting a truck just to replace my Ridgeline, I'd likely opt for the Pro, but the Lariat ER will replace my Ridgeline and Model S that I use for everything and not just truck stuff, so I'll appreciate the driver assistance features, longer range, more power, nicer interior, sunroof, better stereo, and better paint/wheels.

I don't think the Lariat is overpriced for what it is, but I do think the Pro is underpriced.
Different strokes for different folks! This is proof.

I'm replacing my Ridgeline and Tesla as well. I went with the Pro to replace my Ridgeline and the R1T to replace my Tesla. It was originally one or the other - and likely would've been the R1T since I only got thee Pro - but I convinced the wife to let me keep both so problem solved

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
If I really had my druthers I'd have an R1T. I think it's awesome and a much better truck for me. However, it would be years before I can actually get one. My S is only 7 years old, but my Ridgeline turned 15 this year. I also really didn't want to gamble on such a new automaker. Being able to fix my truck myself or have it easily serviced when it breaks is important to me (reasons I'm leaving Tesla) and I'm not sure if Rivian will be any better than Tesla in that regard.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Coming from a 2021 Lariat, I wanted a Lariat ER from the beginning. Would I have passed on being able to get a Pro SR? Probably not. It's a lot of truck for the price, but I know I'll be happy with the Lariat.

I really didn't have a choice anyway. Lariat ER was my only choice for Wave 7.
Sponsored