• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is the Mobile Power cord worth the $500 they are now charging?

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Twice now, the AmpRoad has saved my bacon with its adjustability. Both were older 14-50 receptacles and circuits. One, I had to dial down to 10 Amps because of a finicky 50A breaker at a friend's farm and the other a well-used campground receptacle that got very hot if I tried anything over 24A.

These circuits have never seen continuous power demands like an EV places upon them. I wouldn't travel without an adjustable EVSE.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Twice now, the AmpRoad has saved my bacon with its adjustability. Both were older 14-50 receptacles and circuits. One, I had to dial down to 10 Amps because of a finicky 50A breaker at a friend's farm and the other a well-used campground receptacle that got very hot if I tried anything over 24A.

These circuits have never seen continuous power demands like an EV places upon them. I wouldn't travel without an adjustable EVSE.
It was going to be my everyday cord, but I got a good deal on an Emporia and couldn't be happier. I've decided to keep the AmpRoad and have a really useful spare in my truck for emergencies and camping.

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)

You use this strictly as a mobile charger or do you also use it at home?

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
You use this strictly as a mobile charger or do you also use it at home?
I carry it in the truck with adapters at all times. I used it at home for a couple charges to check it out. I had an existing Chargepoint Home Flex installed and a Ford Charge Station Pro whiling away in its box.

I may be a special use case on the AmpRoad and there are probably other similar no-names out there now. At the time, it was the only 40A mobile EVSE on Amazon that was adjustable from 10A-40A. I wanted the ability to charge at the full 40A limit of 14-50 circuits. Similar models topped out at 32A. I also wanted to be sure I could dial it way down because, in non-EV usage, most circuits have never been used for continuous 9.6kW output. I discovered that on my first trip.

The feature that I think is 'way kewl' that few may use is the built-in WiFi modem. It doesn't connect to your home network, it is its own network. You log into the EVSE. More range than Bluetooth. First on the road trip was at a remote mountain farm with no cell or data service of any kind. No Ford Pass to let me know that charging had stopped because the breaker tripped. I was able to monitor the charger while we worked around the farm. Back at the service panel, the breaker got very hot all the way down to 16A. I ended up charging at 10A for a couple of days rather than the 10 hours @9.6kW I was anticipating. It didn't matter and was good to keep the truck plugged in the whole time I was scheduled to be there in below freezing weather. The last thing you want to do is burn down a dairy barn charging from a welder receptacle they use every few months that works perfectly for them.

https://www.amazon.com/AMPROAD-Charger-Adjustable-Versatile-Portable/dp/B09NPF2CL8
Sponsored