• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is there a way to disable the new Comcast/WiFi scanning feature?

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Have you guys received the OTA update that automatically scans for Comcast WiFi signals? It's a PITA and annoying in my opinion. While you're driving, the display changes from Nav, Audio or what you have it set to, to an error screen that says something like "this feature is not available while the vehicle is in motion."

Is there a way to stop this scanning feature? I have completely turned off WiFi to stop the annoying behavior. Although I do turn it on when I'm home in the garage.

Thanks, regards,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have never had that happen. Try rebooting Sync, hold down Volume and right seek for 5 seconds.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Also be sure to remove/forget that access point from the list of known good access points to connect to.

OP
OP

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Thanks guys still no luck here. I rebooted Sync as suggested. The Lightning still tries to connect to Comcast networks as I'm driving around and displaying error messages. My only recourse is to turn off Wifi. Is anyone else seeing the behavior as seen in my original post?

Thanks,
Alan Rovner

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks guys still no luck here. I rebooted Sync as suggested. The Lightning still tries to connect to Comcast networks as I'm driving around and displaying error messages. My only recourse is to turn off Wifi. Is anyone else seeing the behavior as seen in my original post?

Thanks,
Alan Rovner
Did you delete the Comcast network as suggested?

Because, if you have it setup for a Comcast network, then yes, it is working exactly as expected.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I haven’t seen my truck do this. I have Comcast at home and therefore free access to side channels on every other Comcast wifi modem through xfinity. I have watched my iphone search and connect to xfinity and xfinitywifi signals as I drive down some streets but never saw that happen on my truck.
How do you see the search and connect function as you drive?

OP
OP

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I'll try the approach to forget the Comcast network on Thursday and see what happens. The behavior I see is described in my first post on this thread.

I have the Audio screen displayed and I'm driving along. All of a sudden a Comcast window appears saying that this feature is not possible while the vehicle is in motion. I didn't touch anything or change anything, the message just pops up. This is from a recent software update I received.

OP
OP

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Guys this issue is now resolved and I want to share what I did. Rather than forget the Comcast network, I logged into it as I'm an existing customer. Now I don't see any error screens.

The question is....now that I'm logged into a Comcast Wifi spot what can I use it for? I guess you guys with Lariats can watch Youtube but us XLT owners can't.

Can I do anything other than look for software updates? As a Tesla owner I'm accustomed to watching Youtube when at a supercharger. I could do that on my phone with the XLT I guess.

I tried running AAAD with Carstream but never got it to work.

Regards,
Alan Rovner

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Guys this issue is now resolved and I want to share what I did. Rather than forget the Comcast network, I logged into it as I'm an existing customer. Now I don't see any error screens.

The question is....now that I'm logged into a Comcast Wifi spot what can I use it for? I guess you guys with Lariats can watch Youtube but us XLT owners can't.

Can I do anything other than look for software updates? As a Tesla owner I'm accustomed to watching Youtube when at a supercharger. I could do that on my phone with the XLT I guess.

I tried running AAAD with Carstream but never got it to work.

Regards,
Alan Rovner
You can't even look for updates... Well, no differently than without WiFi.

This allows you to do streaming of limited things on the menu.

Last edited:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
You can't even look for updates... Well, no differently than without WiFi.

This allows you to do streaming of limited things on the menu.
I'd guess if you're connected to wifi it would use that to get data for the built in navigation as well if/when needed.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd guess if you're connected to wifi it would use that to get data for the built in navigation as well if/when needed.
I don't believe so.

This is the change they made. In the past, you could connect to WiFi. BUT, you couldn't connect to any public network that required a multi-step process, i.e. enter your room number, or type in a password like "McDonald's Public".

Now, you can do that. So, while charging, you can hit up a free wifi at the restaurant.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I don't believe so.

This is the change they made. In the past, you could connect to WiFi. BUT, you couldn't connect to any public network that required a multi-step process, i.e. enter your room number, or type in a password like "McDonald's Public".

Now, you can do that. So, while charging, you can hit up a free wifi at the restaurant.
I was under the assumption that you would also want to have it connected to your home wifi and that would be used to download the OTA updates as well. Ford would be wise (and probably has it this way) to have anything that uses a data connection to prefer wifi over cellular when wifi is available. I could be wrong but I'd imagine they want to push as much data transfer as they can off of the cellular connection to save money, especially while the service is complementary. I don't think they're going to make people pay to get OTA updates for the truck but it's my understanding that updates for the connected navigation will eventually require a subscription.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OTA updates have been coming via cellular up to now.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV