• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is this hole for drainage in the bed?

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Installed a tonneau today and got a bit confused by what I was seeing. I ended up drilling into the plastic cover at the bottom (which ruined the spray-on liner), but then noticed that at the top, right near the drain pipes, there's a hole.

Is this for drainage? If it is, I'll use those and seek to resolve the issues with the plastic covers/spray-in later...

Thanks

Ford F-150 Lightning Is this hole for drainage in the bed? IMG-20230806-WA0005
Sponsored

Last edited:

SteelTerp87

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Lariat 2.7L (Platinum Lightning on Order
Occupation
Self-Employed
No, that is not the hole for drainage. The round oval plastic covers at the bottom is for drainage, and it sounds like that's where you drilled. I had the same issue with the spray in liner but figured those pieces are plastic so the liner wasn't really intended to protect those anyways. The holes you pictured can be used for other attachments, etc to secure to the bed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
While those holes are not intended for drainage (they’re there to accommodate bolt-in stake pocket accessories), they do seem to drain OK. If they didn’t, the stake pockets would hold water when the top of the pocket is exposed. I ran my tonneau drains into those holes and haven’t had any issues. When I first did this, I figured I could always drill the plastic plugs if it didn’t work.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Mine were installed in those holes from FORD. Figured that's what they were for. No problem with drainage.

OP
OP

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Mine were installed in those holes from FORD. Figured that's what they were for. No problem with drainage.
Interesting. I am not too sure what to do here. Obviously, the one's near the top are very convenient.

Out of curiosity, for those who used the top holes for drainage - did you cut your hose length? I kept my tonneau's drain pipe length (approx 1.5 feet). Should I cut it or is it beneficial to have the drain pipe go as close to the ground as possible?

Sponsored

Schoeb93

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Physician
I did an aftermarket bed liner and did not mark where in the oval the drainage hole is for the bed with a tonneau cover is. Anyone know or have an image of the front of the bed so I can better line up my drill holes through the bed liner?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I did an aftermarket bed liner and did not mark where in the oval the drainage hole is for the bed with a tonneau cover is. Anyone know or have an image of the front of the bed so I can better line up my drill holes through the bed liner?
Ford F-150 Lightning Is this hole for drainage in the bed? IMG_0620

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Like for pointing out this hole, just installed mine and routed drain to those holes vs cutting a hole!

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting
Occupation
Military
No, that is not the hole for drainage. The round oval plastic covers at the bottom is for drainage, and it sounds like that's where you drilled. I had the same issue with the spray in liner but figured those pieces are plastic so the liner wasn't really intended to protect those anyways. The holes you pictured can be used for other attachments, etc to secure to the bed.
How do you remove the ovals? They seemed shut with the bed liner sprayed over them

Sponsored
First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting
Occupation
Military
If its Fords bedliner, then at least my covers popped out just fine, no damage to the bedliner, using a wide screwdriver.
Thanks I'll hice it a go. I like that better than drilling.... I guess if it's just plastic should be fine... seems like a pretty big hole for those hoses though

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
You can just peel off the spray on bedliner from the plastic covers.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Thanks I'll hice it a go. I like that better than drilling.... I guess if it's just plastic should be fine... seems like a pretty big hole for those hoses though
I was mostly concerned about hitting the cab or something else when drilling, so I pulled them out, drilled holes for the tubes and put 'em back in.