• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

L6-30 power outlet

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
I have an older unused 240V dryer outlet in my garage (NEMA L6-30 receptacle). Can I use an adaptor to connect my charging cable to this outlet?

It appears that Parkworld makes an adaptor (63272 EV Adaptor) for this purpose, but I want to see if any one on the Forum has any experience with it or advice.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Steveel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'll check but I think my Lightning came with that adapter, found it in the frunk. I did not need it since I changed the one in my garage to a 14-50. Easy plug change, I would recommend an electrician if you are not comfortable working with 240 power. Adapter might be cheaper, $30 on Amazon.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
I have an older unused 240V dryer outlet in my garage (NEMA L6-30 receptacle). Can I use an adaptor to connect my charging cable to this outlet?

It appears that Parkworld makes an adaptor (63272 EV Adaptor) for this purpose, but I want to see if any one on the Forum has any experience with it or advice.

Thanks in advance.
If you are using the Ford Mobile Charger you should NOT go the direction you’re suggesting here. An L6-30 receptacle is rated for only 30 amps (and is likely on a 30 amp breaker), so you wouldn’t want to use an EVSE that pulls over 24 amps. The FMC with the 14-50r plug will attempt to pull 32 amps.

If you tried, you would hopefully trip the breaker, but if the breaker didn’t trip you’d be under a much increased safety risk. Not only is the receptacle rated to only handle 30 amps, it’s likely the wire used is as well. And a rated 30 amp circuit should only be subjected to a max of 24 amps in continuous use.

Unfortunately, the world of at-home charging is still a little murky for those who aren’t familiar with 240 volt power, multiple amperages, etc.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I would also add, that if you intend to get a 24 amp EVSE to use with this receptacle, I would replace it. With it being older, it's not built to withstand a continuous load and should be replaced with an industrial rated device.

Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
I would also add, that if you intend to get a 24 amp EVSE to use with this receptacle, I would replace it. With it being older, it's not built to withstand a continuous load and should be replaced with an industrial rated device.
I would agree with this - and if you're doing that it would be worth considering, even if you just use a 32 amp EVSE, going to a 50 amp circuit with a 14-50p receptacle. Many more EVSE options using the 14-50r plug, and future proofing in case you want something with more power.

Or, of course, if electricians are involved you can consider the hardwired route if you're in a home you want to remain in. Will provide plenty of future-proofing if you're going to be a long-term EVSE driver.

And then you should probably just buy....

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
I’m not aware of a portable EVSE (“charger”) that has an available NEMA L6-30 plug adapter. Electrical code prohibits the use of adapters and extension cords for EV charging, so there’s no code-compliant way to use this plug. The L6-30 plug lacks a neutral, so it isn’t easy to swap it for something like 14-30 that has better support.

It is NOT safe to use a 30A-32A charger (like the Ford Mobile Charger) with this outlet. Charging current must be no more than 80% of the capacity of the circuit — so no more than 24A on a 30A circuit.

If this was a one-off or short-term need (such as charging at grandma’s house when visiting for Christmas), I’d suggest getting a mobile charger such as the J+ Booster2 that allows you to set the charging current manually, and get a plug and adapter combination that will work (such as an L6-30 to 6-50 adapter plus the J+ 6-50 plug). Be extremely careful to set the current to 24A before plugging the charger into the truck, and you’re likely ok (but still in violation of the electrical code).

For routine daily charging, I’d suggest replacing the L6-30 plug with a hardwired charger set to 24A (5.76kW). Practically any hardwired charger will work. I would have an electrician come out, inspect the breaker and wiring to make sure they’re still up to snuff, and to install the charger. It should be quick — remove the outlet and wire in the charger — probably a minimum-charge job. Check with your electric utility to see if they have discounted chargers or rebates available. There is also a federal tax credit for the charger install, and maybe a state one too depending on where you live.

As a bonus, the hardwired charger eliminates several points of failure (the socket, plug, and plug adapter) in the plug-in approach.

OP
OP

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Thank you, everyone, for the helpful advice.

I originally was hoping to simply replace the receptacle with a 14-50, but my L6-30 is older and only has 3 wires (no neutral). If the wiring was appropriate (which is not), I could also replace the breaker with a 50A. This is what made me consider the adaptor approach.

It seems like the clear consensus is the adaptor is not a good idea for several reasons. I agree after seeing all the advice here (from people clearly more knowledgeable than me). One interesting thing to note is that I originally got the “adaptor idea” from Ford. It was on a slip sheet included in my mobile charger case. It was a suggested option when charging from the Lightning to another EV using the mobile charger.. I’ve attached an image for anyone interested in it (although you may have the same sheet).

Again, thanks everyone for the help!

Ford F-150 Lightning L6-30 power outlet IMG_9908

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
It is NOT safe to use a 30A-32A charger (like the Ford Mobile Charger) with this outlet. Charging current must be no more than 80% of the capacity of the circuit — so no more than 24A on a 30A circuit.
For clarity, it is not unsafe to use it at 30 amps, it is the duration of time that becomes the issue and potentially unsafe. The NEC would allow the use for 1-3 hours with no “code violation” as it does not meet the concept of continuous loads. As most EV need to charge for more than 3-hours at LV 2, that is where the problem lies and why we do the 80% reduction to add additional safety factors for potentially heating concerns.

So yes if you had the right plug and only needed an hour of two charge because you need a couple of kW, you wouldn’t likely have any more risk then the dryer it was connected, and be “fine” in the context of the NEC.

This has been a PSA…

Sponsored

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
For clarity, it is not unsafe to use it at 30 amps, it is the duration of time that becomes the issue and potentially unsafe. The NEC would allow the use for 1-3 hours with no “code violation” as it does not meet the concept of continuous loads.
My read of NEC 625.124, second sentence “Electric vehicle charging loads shall be considered to be continuous loads for the purposes of this article.” is that regardless of how long you actually charge, EV charging is considered a continuous load. This is because there is nothing inherent in the design of EVs or EV service equipment that limits all charging sessions to 1-3 hours (unlike, for example, a clothes dryer which is inherently designed to shut off a the and of a cycle).

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
My read of NEC 625.124, second sentence “Electric vehicle charging loads shall be considered to be continuous loads for the purposes of this article.” is that regardless of how long you actually charge, EV charging is considered a continuous load. This is because there is nothing inherent in the design of EVs or EV service equipment that limits all charging sessions to 1-3 hours (unlike, for example, a clothes dryer which is inherently designed to shut off a the and of a cycle).
You are reading the section correctly, but this is where education, training, certifications, and being part of code development is needed rather then just reading the text.

The reason why the ev section is worded that way is exactly as I said, the charging will likely exceed the hours listed for the long standing definition of continuous loads. So of course NFPA and the various committees will take this approach when the section was added. That again does not mean the 1-3 hour “non-continuous load” is unsafe as the commentator stated. The plug nor the electrons care if they are attached to a car or a dryer.

For a permanent install or use for more than a couple hours, no you cannot nor should.
Sponsored