• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Late Reservation (May 29, 0106 time stamp) Need Feedback Please

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
91' Skyline GTR Sold, 16' Shelby GT350 Sold
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
What part of Virginia are you in? You may want to consider Northern VA as part of your search since it may also be treated like Maryland and the District of Columbia for allocation purposes due to their proximity to each other.
I am by the Chesapeake, Virginia Beach area. I will be calling some dealers today as some of the members here responded with some contacts. At this point any major dealer that had more than 5 allocations for MY22, and that based on their current reservations I will be towards the front end of the line for MY23 would be my pick. Specially from a ZEV state. Thank you for replying.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
You may want to look at backup options in case the F150L does not come thru this year or next as the low end Pro and XLT SR are going to be snapped up first.

I am doubtful I'll even end up with my second choice trim: XLT even if I am in a ZEV state.

I have put in reservations / dealer requests for other EVs to see what pans out in the event the Ford is unavailable.

GM Silverado EV
Subaru Solterra EV
Toyota bZ4X

My wife is looking to replace her PHEV by next year as she has a 4 year end of life HOV carpool exemption in CA that runs out.
She is looking at getting the Volvo C40 or XC40 Recharge from Sweden - she wants to take a free trip for 2 to Gothenburg, Sweden and do a Euro delivery.
It's a nice deal - lower price paid due to "tourist" pricing, 2 R/T flights to Sweden, hotel stay and factory tour....
Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 8.19.59 PM.png
That sounds like an awesome experience. If my former significant other and I would still be together I would recommend this to her. Sounds like you are very much interested in getting an EV. I wish you luck whichever car route you take. Maybe Ford takes some random names giving us a chance at the Lightning. Thanks for replying.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
What part of Virginia are you in? You may want to consider Northern VA as part of your search since it may also be treated like Maryland and the District of Columbia for allocation purposes due to their proximity to each other.
You could try, but having lived in N. Va my guess is this will get you nowhere. N. Va dealers are notorious for high prices and crappy service. Also, Va is treated like Va whether its southern or northern-- i.e. non zev state. Maryland is a zev state so I suppose you might get some advantage there....however based on personal experience(all of it bad) I would not recommend any dealer in the DC region.

(For example-- Koons Ford in N Va was that dealer that got dragged for a $30k markup and there was another dealer with an infamous Bronco fiasco)

PS-- I lived in N.Va for 13yrs and ended up buying 3 different vehicles out of state because the local DC area dealers were so far out of touch with reality.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
You could try, but having lived in N. Va my guess is this will get you nowhere. N. Va dealers are notorious for high prices and crappy service. Also, Va is treated like Va whether its southern or northern-- i.e. non zev state. Maryland is a zev state so I suppose you might get some advantage there....however based on personal experience(all of it bad) I would not recommend any dealer in the DC region.

(For example-- Koons Ford in N Va was that dealer that got dragged for a $30k markup and there was another dealer with an infamous Bronco fiasco)

PS-- I lived in N.Va for 13yrs and ended up buying 3 different vehicles out of state because the local DC area dealers were so far out of touch with reality.
Over the years, I have found several of the dealerships fairly easy and reasonable to deal with. While I am aware of the circus stunt that was apparently pulled by Koons - Falls Church and the horrendous ADMs at Koons Chev/GMC in Tysons and Koons GMC in Woodbridge, not all of the Koons stores are part of the same organization.

Additionally, because the DC metro area is in one zone, I would anticipate that Ford would look at the zone as a whole when setting allocations - especially since Virginia dealerships sell to Maryland and DC customers and vice versa. Further, if you look at the stats for ZEV penetration, Virginia has greater penetration in numbers and percentage than Maryland.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You may want to look at backup options in case the F150L does not come thru this year or next as the low end Pro and XLT SR are going to be snapped up first.

I am doubtful I'll even end up with my second choice trim: XLT even if I am in a ZEV state.

I have put in reservations / dealer requests for other EVs to see what pans out in the event the Ford is unavailable.

GM Silverado EV
Subaru Solterra EV
Toyota bZ4X

My wife is looking to replace her PHEV by next year as she has a 4 year end of life HOV carpool exemption in CA that runs out.
She is looking at getting the Volvo C40 or XC40 Recharge from Sweden - she wants to take a free trip for 2 to Gothenburg, Sweden and do a Euro delivery.
It's a nice deal - lower price paid due to "tourist" pricing, 2 R/T flights to Sweden, hotel stay and factory tour....
Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 8.19.59 PM.png
Ah yes, good old OSD!!! That's Over Seas Delivery for you non-Volvo folks. ?

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Over the years, I have found several of the dealerships fairly easy and reasonable to deal with. While I am aware of the circus stunt that was apparently pulled by Koons - Falls Church and the horrendous ADMs at Koons Chev/GMC in Tysons and Koons GMC in Woodbridge, not all of the Koons stores are part of the same organization.

Additionally, because the DC metro area is in one zone, I would anticipate that Ford would look at the zone as a whole when setting allocations - especially since Virginia dealerships sell to Maryland and DC customers and vice versa. Further, if you look at the stats for ZEV penetration, Virginia has greater penetration in numbers and percentage than Maryland.

To each his own... I shopped a few Fords at Koons, Sheehy, and Jerry's(Annandale)....wouldn't recommend any of them. I ended up buying one Ford in SW Va and another in NJ..vs finding anything local. In general I found DC area caters to their audience-- people short on time with money to burn and willing(able) to pay a premium. I doubt you'll find a dealer without ADM in the DC area..

My point about ZEVs is Virginia is not technically a ZEV state..so Ford would not get any credit for an EV sold in Va...whether its sold in Fairfax county or in Richmond. If the whole point of the ZEV game is to get environmental credits, Ford would get nothing out of an allocation to N Va(or anywhere in VA)..if they allocate one across the river in MD they would get a "credit" for that vehicle.

https://www.currentautomotive.com/what-is-a-zev-credit-and-how-does-tesla-make-money-with-them/

" Each state tracks the sales within its own borders for compliance – there is no transferring from state-to-state. No ZEV Credits are earned when an automaker sells a zero emissions vehicle outside of a ZEV state which is why many electric vehicles like the Fiat 500e, Volkswagen e-Golf, Hyundai Kona EV, and Kia Soul EV are only sold new in ZEV states. These automakers aren’t building EVs on the same scale as Tesla, Nissan, or Chevrolet, and they need to earn those credits to avoid penalties for not complying with the law."

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
So I think I might have found a dealer that after transferring my reservation to them, I may now find myself with a good chance for Wave 4,5,6 or at the beginning of MY23. The critical question now is if and is a huge if*, once I get the invitation do I go for a basic standard XLT which I did not want to upgrade to, or do I stick to my original plan and hold out for a Pro trim in MY23? After adding the tech and tow package, I am perfectly okay with just the Pro trim while saving over $12k compared to the XLT. Any advice from others that have ordered a Pro or XLT that had a similar comflict?

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I think I might have found a dealer that after transferring my reservation to them, I may now find myself with a good chance for Wave 4,5,6 or at the beginning of MY23. The critical question now is if and is a huge if*, once I get the invitation do I go for a basic standard XLT which I did not want to upgrade to, or do I stick to my original plan and hold out for a Pro trim in MY23? After adding the tech and tow package, I am perfectly okay with just the Pro trim while saving over $12k compared to the XLT. Any advice from others that have ordered a Pro or XLT that had a similar comflict?
It is a personal decision based upon what you want out of the truck and what you are willing to spend. My first pick up was a work truck that I traded in 8 months later with less than 4K miles on it for an XLT at the time. I thought I would be happy with it, but I was not. The person who bought it after me kept it for a number of years, so I presume he was happy with the truck.
Sponsored