• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealers with NO MY22 Lightning allocations?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This isn't true. Sure, maybe there is *some* truth to it in general. But the real truth is, an EV wont sell where there isn't infrastructure to support it. Look at the EV map, they're selling everywhere there's infrastructure. This IS basic economics. Overlay this map with the US electrical infrastructure map. The blue areas ALL are electrical hubs. Something like $200 Billion needs invested into the grid to support 40 million EV vehicles (the 2030 goal). Most of these metro areas have charging stations. The rural folks will need to ~$5K to add EV charging to their house (assuming a Lvl 3 charger because they drive more)...as much as I hate the government, this is economics.
I agree with most of your points, but your cost and type for home charging is a bit off.

First, there is no such thing as L3 charging. Sometimes people confuse DC fast charging with L3 (it isn't), but if that was what you meant, the costs is in the hundreds of thousands and no-one is putting that at their house.

L2 charging via an EVSE (230/240V at various amperages - up to 80A so far with the ER Lightning) is what you put in at home. Installation costs can run from a few $hundred if you just add a 14-50 plug off of an existing panel to a few thousand for a high amperage hardwired install away from a panel. You could get to $5k, but that would only be if you need a service upgrade to support the EVSE.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
The rural folks will need to ~$5K to add EV charging to their house (assuming a Lvl 3 charger because they drive more)
Lvl 3 charging (by which most people mean DCFC) will cost a whole hell of a lot more than $5,000. Most residences are not at all equipped to support DCFC. DCFC is not needed to charge at home. Lvl 2 AC charging is perfectly fine. Installing a Lvl 2 charging will typically cost a lot less that $5,000, In my case, the total cost (including charger, new 60A circuit and wiring) cost about $1,800. But if I didn't pay extra for convenience, I could have done it for around $1,200.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Lvl 3 charging (by which most people mean DCFC) will cost a whole hell of a lot more than $5,000. Most residences are not at all equipped to support DCFC. DCFC is not needed to charge at home. Lvl 2 AC charging is perfectly fine. Installing a Lvl 2 charging will typically cost a lot less that $5,000, In my case, the total cost (including charger, new 60A circuit and wiring) cost about $1,800. But if I didn't pay extra for convenience, I could have done it for around $1,200.
Yeah - a service upgrade is the only thing that could drive it that high - maybe even higher if the utility can't support the service upgrade.

OP
OP

workaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 excursion 7.3
still have not seen any other ev certified dealerships with reservations not get any allocations for MY22.

in the end, none of the specifics above (charging infrastructure, etc.) should have anything to do with a customer being allowed to reserve a truck at a dealership that they know will not get any allocations. ford knew prior to release how many trucks they were going to bring to market in MY22 as well as what % of each model they would produce.

if all the information needed to make a decision was given by ford prior, there wouldnt be any of these discussions about who gets what and when. ford offered zero specifics in regards to how their reservation system would work. i believe this to be borderline illegal. ford is going to not have any issues in the short term, but they are going to lose business in the long term by treating customers this way.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I agree with most of your points, but your cost and type for home charging is a bit off.
Oh gotcha, I guess I had them confused. Thanks for the clarification. Im still new to the EV details...I figure Im still 5+ years out on one....waiting on the batteries to catch up...

Sponsored

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
My dealer had 4 slots allocated. Used by the owner, his son, and the 2 top managers. With 40 of us reservists watching. So much for MY22!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
if all the information needed to make a decision was given by ford prior, there wouldnt be any of these discussions about who gets what and when. ford offered zero specifics in regards to how their reservation system would work. i believe this to be borderline illegal. ford is going to not have any issues in the short term, but they are going to lose business in the long term by treating customers this way.
How a car manufacturer allocates manufacturing to dealers is their business, not yours. It is not "borderline illegal", doesn't even begin to approach anything illegal. They have no obligation to disclose even broad generalities about that to their customers. If that loses them business, then they have to take that into account.

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
still have not seen any other ev certified dealerships with reservations not get any allocations for MY22.

in the end, none of the specifics above (charging infrastructure, etc.) should have anything to do with a customer being allowed to reserve a truck at a dealership that they know will not get any allocations. ford knew prior to release how many trucks they were going to bring to market in MY22 as well as what % of each model they would produce.

FWIW according to my local sales manager we won’t get any MY 22 trucks here despite being certified and having 18 reservations. Mine was made first day, 5/19. Still hoping Ford will fix this, we’ll see.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
My dealer had 4 slots allocated. Used by the owner, his son, and the 2 top managers. With 40 of us reservists watching. So much for MY22!
Scum bags. Lucky my dealer didn't use any prioritizations maybe because they didn't know about it in time lol

Sponsored

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
My dealer had 1 first wave, 0 second wave, and at least 1 3rd wave (me).

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
My dealer has 74 reservations and only got to order one so far.

He also mentioned that spray in bed liners are delaying ICE F150 builds.

OP
OP

workaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 excursion 7.3
How a car manufacturer allocates manufacturing to dealers is their business, not yours. It is not "borderline illegal", doesn't even begin to approach anything illegal. They have no obligation to disclose even broad generalities about that to their customers. If that loses them business, then they have to take that into account.
only ev certified dealers were linked in the initial reveal reservation system.

these dealers all had to spend thousands to be able to service these vehicles to fords standards. my dealer told me they were told that they would get allocations in MY22 because they went through the ev certification.

is it not fords responsibility to inform its customers that they are going to accept a reservation to a specific dealer, yet not provide any allocation to that dealer? would YOU choose this dealer to take your reservation if you knew they were not getting any allocation? no you would not.

why even have a reservation number system with time stamps if it doesnt matter? why not just push out a mass email for each person throwing money down that they have a reservation and will be contacted when their name comes up on the list to buy? they did none of that.

you can say that what they have done isnt even close to illegal, but you saying it holds just as much weight as me saying what i did.
Sponsored