• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Went to an EV only offroad event called optima unplugged at King of the hammers where they had Vaughn Gittin Jr and switchgear. They weren't holding back on some crazy woops and dunes.

I was also pretty impressed with the offroad capability of the stock lightning. I definitely found the skid plates under there, but had no problems with traction even with the street tires. We didn't do anything too difficult, but did stretch the legs a bit. If I was going to be doing this more, if recommend more aggressive tires and a bit of a lift at a minimum.

There were probably 40 rivians, 2 cyber trucks, and 3 lightnings. The stock lightnings were clearly the underdog when looking at ground clearance and tires from the bunch. However, we were able to do everything they could.

For the more serious off roading I do, I'll stick to my bronco, but it's nice to know this is pretty capable on lighter trails.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH PXL_20240201_213347585
Sponsored

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Went to an EV only offroad event called optima unplugged at King of the hammers where they had Vaughn Gittin Jr and switchgear. They weren't holding back on some crazy woops and dunes.

I was also pretty impressed with the offroad capability of the stock lightning. I definitely found the skid plates under there, but had no problems with traction even with the street tires. We didn't do anything too difficult, but did stretch the legs a bit. If I was going to be doing this more, if recommend more aggressive tires and a bit of a lift at a minimum.

There were probably 40 rivians, 2 cyber trucks, and 3 lightnings. The stock lightnings were clearly the underdog when looking at ground clearance and tires from the bunch. However, we were able to do everything they could.

For the more serious off roading I do, I'll stick to my bronco, but it's nice to know this is pretty capable on lighter trails.

PXL_20240201_213347585.jpg
Any other pictures or video?

OP
OP

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

PXL_20240201_213347585.jpg
This sounds like so much fun! We're glad to hear the F-150 Lightning impressed!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Cybertruck dude said the Lightning struggled

OP
OP

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Cybertruck dude said the Lightning struggled
Both cybertucks had at the very least aggressive off road tires, and at least one had a little lift. All lightnings were lariat or platinum on the stock road tires. One of the lightnings who aired down to 18 psi popped a couple beads while doing donuts in the sand. That was the only place where the lightning struggled and easy to see why as well as easy to fix.

You can't really compare the two, and cyber trucks guys were very pro Tesla.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Both cybertucks had at the very least aggressive off road tires, and at least one had a little lift. All lightnings were lariat or platinum on the stock road tires. One of the lightnings who aired down to 18 psi popped a couple beads while doing donuts in the sand. That was the only place where the lightning struggled and easy to see why as well as easy to fix.

You can't really compare the two, and cyber trucks guys were very pro Tesla.
I’ve been waiting for the Switchgear videos from this event

OP
OP

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’ve been waiting for the Switchgear videos from this event
Unfortunately I couldn't get any video as I was driving. I'm sure Ford or optima will release some. Switchgear was doing stuff the cybertruck could only dream of.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Unfortunately I couldn't get any video as I was driving. I'm sure Ford or optima will release some.
Glad you had fun!!! Love the Broncos also!!

hopefully some videos pop up online soon

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Videos should be coming. It looks like they are getting ready to release some of the official photos from the event. I'm sure editing the videos will take a little longer.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH _DSC3906_Export
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH _DSC4139_Export
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04177_Export
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04181
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04182
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04183
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04184
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04185
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04186
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH DSC04187

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning (and Switchgear) Optima Unplugged at KOH image002

OP
OP

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Any idea what that curved plate is hanging down from the bottom? Broken skid plate or put there for some reason??
That's a good question and one I had myself but forgot to ask. There was two rows of what I would explain as trucker mudflap material that was attached to the bottom and hanging down. It appears very deliberate, I just don't know why. My only guess was to keep sand/dirt from flying up onto the battery and rear motor.

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO [SQUISHED!] & 2nd Lightning PRO
In the video I watched on Youtube they talk about how one of the important mods was protecting the underside from flying rocks.

Sponsored