• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I've been tinkering with my own "black box" for the LIghtning based on a Raspberry Pi and the OBDLink MX+ OBD adapter and below is a sample of where I'm at right now, the "black box" is also integrated with ABRP and HomeAssistant to feed them various data.

I have four modes, default, driving, charging and sport, each with it's own set of configurable parameters.
Default, driving and charging are all automatic and sport is a special mode that logs a few values every second and mainly intended for acceleration / braking tests (to check regen and those kind of things). Sport mode is enabled though HomeAssistant / Alexa (I just tell Alexa in the car to enable sport mode).

I'm using a Pi CM4 with a case / mainboard that has M2 SSD support (to get more storage, better response and less risk of a corrupt sdcard).
The main "controls" is in Node Red, logging to InfluxDB and graphs by Grafana.

It's still work in progress, but it works reasonably well.

Charging View

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683397231457

Charging Heatmap with charge locations and average charge rate

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683397314161

Driving View

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683397272447

12V Battery overview

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683397404709

HV Battery overview (mainly a "health view")

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683397457465

Available parameters (for now, looking at adding some more if I find something of value)

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683397620032
Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Can you show timing retard for each cylinder so we can better tune it for performance? 😆

Are you able to view those output screens in real time or is it on a PC after you've done a data collection with the raspberry?

OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Are you able to view those output screens in real time or is it on a PC after you've done a data collection with the raspberry?
Technically it's totally possible.
Node-Red have a UI function (that's what the parameter page is created with) that can display text/gauges so I could create a page that contains some information and just send it there as well (kind of what I already do with ABRP and Home assistant). Raspberry can also drive a display so one could create a gui there as well but there's probably better tools (i.e. car scanner) if you want live/realtime data.

Grafana/the graphs is web-based so there's no issue connecting to it from your cellphone and you can set the graphs to "kiosk" mode and auto refresh every so often (15/30s). Not "real time" but probably good enough for most use cases.

Ideally I had hoped to find a way to present webpages on Android Auto, that way you could have it "built in", but I haven't figured out a way to do it - yet ;)

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I've been tinkering with my own "black box" for the LIghtning based on a Raspberry Pi and the OBDLink MX+ OBD adapter and below is a sample of where I'm at right now, the "black box" is also integrated with ABRP and HomeAssistant to feed them various data.

I have four modes, default, driving, charging and sport, each with it's own set of configurable parameters.
Default, driving and charging are all automatic and sport is a special mode that logs a few values every second and mainly intended for acceleration / braking tests (to check regen and those kind of things). Sport mode is enabled though HomeAssistant / Alexa (I just tell Alexa in the car to enable sport mode).

I'm using a Pi CM4 with a case / mainboard that has M2 SSD support (to get more storage, better response and less risk of a corrupt sdcard).

Charging View

1683397231457.png

1683397314161.png

Driving View

1683397272447.png

12V Battery overview

1683397404709.png

1683397457465.png

Available parameters (for now, looking at adding some more if I find something of value)

1683397620032.png
We need more of this, just to see what's inside and what to tweek.
This is the best I can see with Torque connected to ODBII port via bluetooth there are many pages lots of information. This is the Charging page shows battery charge in %, coolant Kw used, amps into battery, and Kwpower into battery. Plus motor temps power output from motors in Foot Pounds. It shows in real time update.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683561575217

Last edited:

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

Charging View

1683397231457.png

1683397314161.png

Driving View

1683397272447.png

12V Battery overview

1683397404709.png

1683397457465.png

1683397620032.png
Very cool.

Now I'm tempted to figure out a way to have Alexa, or some IFTT command, automatically put my truck in Sport mode.

The notification on vehicle start to place the vehicle back in the last mode you used is a frustrating inconvenience. I, unfortunately, had to set the Drive Modes tab to my favorite on my SYNC menu bar due to this.

Hopefully @Ford Motor Company fixes that annoyance.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
This is so cool I wish I could have something like this for my truck

OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
OK, so I tried out a local fast charger that is free (for now) and during this time I tinkered a bit more with the on-screen setup to the point where I think it looks OK / is informative enough for what you might need in the car.

If you look at the bottom right hand corner of ABRP where it says 79%, that's your SoC which is handy since you don't have to use the calm screen anymore to view it, but it is also the indicator that you're receiving live data from your OBD reader or in my case "black box".

The screen supports touch / swipe, so the only "action" between the two screens is a swipe.
The screen at the bottom is the view from the ABRP app on your phone.

I tried to create an image from by PI's SSD onto a USB drive and that booted just fine on a Pi4 I had laying around, so I can clean up a few things and share the image if anyone wants to play around / tinker with it. It's by no means plug and play so you really need some level of computer savviness to get thing running. At a bare minimum you'll need to change the MAC address of the bluetooth OBD adapter in node-red plus you need to go into Linux / Raspian via SSH and pair the adapter. If this all sounds like gobliguck to you, then it's probably bit too early to test it ;)
I'm by no means an expert, I know enough to be dangerous but I'm not smart enough to do debugging and support on someone else's setup.

Later when this have matured beyond tinkering I can make a writeup on how to get things going from scratch.

Another thing worth noting is that the display on the car-screen / android auto, it's called "custom app" and installable from AAStore, not sure if this requires a rooted phone or not (mine is), but it might be worth trying that as well to see if you have a chance of running it on your cars screen.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683746797549
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683746840058

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1683746818392

Last edited by a moderator:

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Where are you getting the Pi4's from? They all seem to be out of stock whenever I look...

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I have a Pi4 and a couple Pi Zero W's from before the "supply chain" issues started popping up. They do get some in from time to time, you just have to sign up for notifications and hope you see them fast enough. There are competitor boards out there as well, though I don't have any personal experience with them.

EDIT: Forgot to specify that I usually buy from Adafruit.

OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Where are you getting the Pi4's from? They all seem to be out of stock whenever I look...
I bit the bullet and bought one at a premium on eBay because I wanted a CM4 module (external antenna connection for BT and WiFi + native PCI = real SSD / M2 and not via USB).
At the time (December 2022) I also placed an order via Newark that was backordered and I completely forgot about it - well, it just showed up - 7 months later, so that'll tell you something about the wait if you order through normal channels.

My regular Pi's are project Pi's that I got before the whole chip-shortage craze started.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
How did you get Grafana to show on the 15" screen? That looks awesome (and I have a spare Pi)

OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Sorry for the delay...
I'm using an app called AAStore - https://github.com/croccio/Android-Auto-Store/releases
It allows you to install a web/http link as an "app" (Custom App) on android auto, the little red icon with CA2 (Custom App 2) in my screenshots is that app. I'm running a rooted Pixel 7 in my car, but I just tested to install it on my non-rooted S23 and that seem to be working on it as well.

Now, a word of advice:
While you could put your phone in hotspot mode and have the PI connect to it, the issue will be that the the IP address on your phone (on android anyway) gets randomized every time you restart your phone, plus the name resolution / dns isn't all that great - and - once you created a link with CA you're stuck with it, you can not change it. The only way around it is to create a new link (gets cluttered since you cant name the links either, they're just named CA1,2,3,4 and so on - or - factory reset your phone. (uninstalling the app, clearing data/cache won't help).

So, the solution is to use a travel router which will allow you to set a fixed IP. Amazon has both Netgear and GL-Inet for $30-40, I would personally recommend the GL-Inet as I had it, returned it, got the netgear, regretted it too late and I'm now stuck with it. They both do a good job, but I found out that the Netgear won't switch wifi networks automatically but the GLInet will. Another benefit of the travel router setup is is that your cars streaming (youtube, amazon music, etc.) can now use the built-in ATT data plan should you wish to. ATT Plan >> Travel Router >> Car

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Which case/board do you use for the SSD?
Sponsored