• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Owner Drives a Cybertruck

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Like a few others have said, the perfect EV truck is a Frankenstein between CT and Lightning. The frunk on my Lightning is one of the best things I've ever had in a vehicle and my friends don't care if they are in the roomy back seat. Alternatively, the sporty performance of the Platinum vs Cyberbeast isn't even close and steer by wire appears revolutionary. There's 100 other personal pros and cons I could list.

It's not even just comparing CT and Lightning, if I could cherry pick parts from Silverado, Hummer, and Rivian I could make the perfect EV truck. As is, it's about finding the one that checks most of the buyer's boxes. Personal story, I picked a XLT Lightning over a R1T that was price locked for launch price, because the Lightning was the size I wanted. On resale I'd be doing a lot better with the R1T now and some people call me crazy for passing at the launch price, but I have no regrets. Different strokes for different folks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Like a few others have said, the perfect EV truck is a Frankenstein between CT and Lightning. The frunk on my Lightning is one of the best things I've ever had in a vehicle and my friends don't care if they are in the roomy back seat. Alternatively, the sporty performance of the Platinum vs Cyberbeast isn't even close and steer by wire appears revolutionary. There's 100 other personal pros and cons I could list.

It's not even just comparing CT and Lightning, if I could cherry pick parts from Silverado, Hummer, and Rivian I could make the perfect EV truck. As is, it's about finding the one that checks most of the buyer's boxes. Personal story, I picked a XLT Lightning over a R1T that was price locked for launch price, because the Lightning was the size I wanted. On resale I'd be doing a lot better with the R1T now and some people call me crazy for passing at the launch price, but I have no regrets. Different strokes for different folks.
That’s exactly it. Different strokes for different folks.

While I love the sporty performance, I only want a bit of it on a Truck. It’s the reason I never bought a Ridgeline. It was sportier and better handling than the Colorado, but it felt like I was driving my Acura MDX, which is the opposite of what I wanted.

Steer by wire will be great for people with chronic conditions like RA.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
It looks like CT can take a bullet but if it gets hit by bird droppings it will crap out:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That air suspension really helps with the inferiority complex.

1706130322368.png
Talking to myself in public. Here is a screenshot of an Out of Spec video of the same three trucks.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Owner Drives a Cybertruck 1706543379890

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
The number one selling EV truck would be Ford built with current design and Tesla battery, drive train and software. No one else would stand a chance.
100% agree. My wife has had a Tesla for two months now, and the Tesla's software is FAR AND AWAY better in experience and functionality than Ford's. In fact, if my Lightning did not have Apple's CarPlay I would get rid of it.

But I have to say, I enjoy driving my Lightning better, simply because the ride and comfort of it.

Sponsored

Charles Juedemann

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150 Lightning Ford Mache
Occupation
retired
I now own a 2023 Lightning and Mache. I first bought the Tesla 3 and Y in 2021. Here is what I can tell you about the Tesla. The interior material and construction is very poor. I wonder how this guy in the video managed to get into and out of his Tesla without pulling the door post trim off (he is even 30lbs heavier than I am). The third time I took my Tesla back for the loose door post trim, they told me it was my fault and that they would no longer fix it. Nothing broken, just pulled off. Add to that the Tesla will not sell me body parts is a killer.
My Ford's have much better quality and ease of use. They run just as long, but a bit slower (both my Tesla cars were performance models).
I will always love Tesla and Elon for bringing us the very first and practical EV, and the fact that they shared the technology with Ford, but the Ford is better.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Owner Drives a Cybertruck t.JPG

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
100% agree. My wife has had a Tesla for two months now, and the Tesla's software is FAR AND AWAY better in experience and functionality than Ford's. In fact, if my Lightning did not have Apple's CarPlay I would get rid of it.

But I have to say, I enjoy driving my Lightning better, simply because the ride and comfort of it.
I honestly dont know what makes it Far and Away better. I agree with the App being Far and Away better. But as far as usability, I appreciate that a lot of functions on the Lightning are not on the screen, for example adjust the steering wheel, opening the glove box, adjusting mirrors, adjusting vents etc. etc. I suppose those who love Tech would prefer the everything in the screen Tesla while those who enjoy driving would prefer some items outside the screen.

I feel like the power delivery in the Ford is much better than in a Tesla, it's just smoother and that's part of the software is better in a Ford than in a Tesla IMO.

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I honestly dont know what makes it Far and Away better. I agree with the App being Far and Away better. But as far as usability, I appreciate that a lot of functions on the Lightning are not on the screen, for example adjust the steering wheel, opening the glove box, adjusting mirrors, adjusting vents etc. etc. I suppose those who love Tech would prefer the everything in the screen Tesla while those who enjoy driving would prefer some items outside the screen.

I feel like the power delivery in the Ford is much better than in a Tesla, it's just smoother and that's part of the software is better in a Ford than in a Tesla IMO.

I should make a video on this!

1) Walking up to the car, Tesla recognizes me 100% of the time. Lightning, about 80%.
2) Updates....do I need to explain? In fact, I can update the Tesla from the App.
3) Screen takes 8-10 seconds to load. Tesla's in instant.
4) Holy cow the UI and UX. Do I need to explain?
5) Camera usage. Do I need to explain?
6) I could go on and on...but I have a full time job. ;)

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I should make a video on this!

1) Walking up to the car, Tesla recognizes me 100% of the time. Lightning, about 80%.
2) Updates....do I need to explain? In fact, I can update the Tesla from the App.
3) Screen takes 8-10 seconds to load. Tesla's in instant.
4) Holy cow the UI and UX. Do I need to explain?
5) Camera usage. Do I need to explain?
6) I could go on and on...but I have a full time job. ;)
1) Lightning Recognizes me 100% of the time, I've never had an issue.
2) That is an App issue which I have already said Tesla is 100% better
3) You can drive while the screen is loading as soon as you get in. In a Tesla? Not so much, again this is what I mean by some features not being on the screen.
4) Yes, it's better but again, not necessary to drive. Here is my superior UI/UX

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Owner Drives a Cybertruck IMG_0534

5) Again, more Tech, not necessary to drive.
9) Sure you could go on and on, and I could go on and on with a counter argument.

My Model 3 is good but I always prefer to take the Lightning. My kids prefer the Model 3 because of the ToyBox. It's a like a toy to them. Im not saying it's bad and yes, Ford should have taken a lot of things from Tesla, but it's not as HUGE of a GAP as people make it seem.

One is a Tech company making cars and the other is a Car company leaving Tech to third party sources.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
appreciate that a lot of functions on the Lightning are not on the screen, for example adjust the steering wheel, opening the glove box, adjusting mirrors, adjusting vents etc. etc.
I agree. One of the reasons Tesla has it this way is to reduce production cost. With CT being twice as expensive as it was announced, that does not seem to translate to any savings for the consumer. There are alreay reports of CT screen going dark. I love my buttons.