• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Owner Drives a Cybertruck

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The number one selling EV truck would be Ford built with current design and Tesla battery, drive train and software. No one else would stand a chance.
Fortunately for Ford, Tesla possibly spared them their EV future by building something divisive visually, questionable utility wise, and more expensive instead of the promised massively cheaper.

I totally agree - if Tesla would have cloned the F-150 body with their drivetrain and software I’d probably be still waiting in line for a Tesla truck. Sales would have blown any other truck out of the water just like the Model Y did to the crossover EV market.

I think Ford has been afforded some time to get the next gen truck even better and fix all the shortfalls of the Lightning. It will be interesting to watch what happens with truck sales in the next few years.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
This isn't a worry if you have good battery tech. For the naysayers, yes I know Tesla has replaced some battery packs, but lets go on record they have never had the kind of problem we hare having with Lightnings and the number sitting waiting on a fix or have been bought back due to the issues.

I'll take that Tesla battery any day of the week.
You do have a point on failure rates but we are covered for 8 years. The thing is after warranty is over, Tesla model 3 owners with smaller pack are paying $15K for a refurbished pack with only 1 year warranty. And before warranty, if something goes wrong with a pack on a 3 month old Tesla, the whole pack may get replaced with a refurbished one that may have 70K on it. When we have battery problems on a low mileage truck, we only get the bad modules replaced so the rest remain young.

Tesla does seem to take care of the battery better though. Very curious to see how Lightning does long term. I can't wait for a standardized system that allows me order the module I want from the manufacturer I want off the amazon and replace my faulty module. I know it is a dream but it is an awesome dream.

p.s. Mercedes had Tesla drive train in the B-class.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
The number one selling EV truck would be Ford built with current design and Tesla battery, drive train and software. No one else would stand a chance.
Except that I am glad that Ford put a barely adequately sized battery in the Lightning ER. CT battery is calculated to be 123 kW, which would have made a F150L ER a joke. Tesla lacks the excuse of Ford, since Tesla makes the battery. So all Tesla did, basically, is match the Lightning range, when they could have exceeded it with a battery the same size as Lightning's, and then had the bragging rights of tech that beats Ford with the same battery. So they missed the opportunity.

And on top to that, Tesla's vaunted software does not run Apple Car Play or Google's car interface. I rented a Tesla in Europe; Apple Maps and Google Maps are far better.

I'll take my Ford with its bigger battery, no phantom braking, and a few dials and buttons.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I finally saw one in the flesh today. It was behind me on the freeway. At least from the front it looks like a spaceship.
Can’t explain it but CT looks way better in person. Except that rear... Those harsh corners and that chunky flat tailgate. Can’t tell if it looks worse with the tonneau open or closed.

That said, the crazy design just doesn’t seem like it was worth the various compromises that came with it. Was going to let my reservation go…. But my brother is buying it, he still wants to give it a shot. We actually got a production update today saying delivery by end of February. No VIN or in-production notice yet.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Fortunately for Ford, Tesla possibly spared them their EV future by building something divisive visually, questionable utility wise, and more expensive instead of the promised massively cheaper.

I totally agree - if Tesla would have cloned the F-150 body with their drivetrain and software I’d probably be still waiting in line for a Tesla truck. Sales would have blown any other truck out of the water just like the Model Y did to the crossover EV market.

I think Ford has been afforded some time to get the next gen truck even better and fix all the shortfalls of the Lightning. It will be interesting to watch what happens with truck sales in the next few years.
Yeah, completely agree with all that. On the bright side, my Lightning has exceeded most of my expectations in the first year of ownership and it’s arguably one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. Unless it just falls apart on me or something, I see no Reason to not just happily drive it until the next generation or two of these trucks come along.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
No one else would stand a chance.
If you search on "Tesla BYD," you'll find most folks think BYD is overtaking Tesla in both quantity and quality. One article said something like, "40 years ago, Hyundai was making junk; now it makes some of the world's best cars. It looks like BYD has made the same leap in half the time. In the 2000s, it bought a failed state-owned manufacturer ..." BYD is poised to become the world's leading seller of EVs, and I think another article quoted Musk as saying that without trade barriers, they're going to eat everyone else's lunch. Supposedly, the new Tesla crossover vehicle to be built in Austin starting in the 2nd half of 2025 is to counter BYD's ability to build vehicles much more cheaply than American-built EVs.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
The Front is actually not, a bit more curvature would have been better but it’s understood why that was impossible. From there back, it’s a mess, especially the rear.

The interior IMO is wasted space because of the long windshield
Add a tire rack to the back and you fix the ugly rear and gain a spare tire.

gregoryhcain

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pickup
Occupation
Physician
Question for those in the know. I’ve now seen several videos of CT’s really struggling off road. Do they not have mechanical locking differentials, trying to do it all with software? One thing I love about the Lightning is its mechanical locker that hooks up instantly. It’s saved my butt twice now where ATC failed.

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Yeah, completely agree with all that. On the bright side, my Lightning has exceeded most of my expectations in the first year of ownership and it’s arguably one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. Unless it just falls apart on me or something, I see no Reason to not just happily drive it until the next generation or two of these trucks come along.
This right here ^^^

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The CV is just ugly ...
Hey now, we’re nicer than that on this forum. The CT isn’t ugly, it’s visually challenged…or better yet. It is designed to appeal and cater to those with visual impairments. Elon is just trying to be woke.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Hey now, we’re nicer than that on this forum. The CT isn’t ugly, it’s visually challenged…or better yet. It is designed to appeal and cater to those with visual impairments. Elon is just trying to be woke.
I guess it's possible to be woke and asleep at the wheel at the same time!

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Another note on the CT... There is little in the way of after market mods available, whereas for the F-150, there is a ton you can do if you want. For example, there were excited that they could stand on the CT tonneau, but if that is what you want, you can buy a tonneau for the Lightning that can support your weight. Or a tonneau that has built in rails for overlanding or camping or a kayak rack etc.. The F-150 has way more versatility than the CT.
Sponsored