• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Owner Drives a Cybertruck

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Question for those in the know. I’ve now seen several videos of CT’s really struggling off road. Do they not have mechanical locking differentials, trying to do it all with software? One thing I love about the Lightning is its mechanical locker that hooks up instantly. It’s saved my butt twice now where ATC failed.
Supposedly CT has front and rear lockers, but they are not available in the software to engage?! That's weird.

I wonder if they are true mechanical lockers or some form of e-locker/software-locker.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Supposedly CT has front and rear lockers, but they are not available in the software to engage?! That's weird.

I wonder if they are true mechanical lockers or some form of e-locker/software-locker.
Likely not mechanical if they didn’t release it yet. Or maybe it’s part of his new model, only allowed to be unlocked AFTER the truck detects you’re stuck….for $15,000.

jdc604

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning (Lariat)
Occupation
Bits & Bytes
This is a good one IMO. He's right about use case scenario

Check my comments on the video regarding his still image insert at 2:33. The image makes it appear that the F150 Lightning is smaller than the other two trucks. You can tell that the image was 'modified' and inserted because the video is made to look like it was one continuous shot but the image shows the Cybertruck and Rivian at 45 degree angle placements at that timestamp and at 2:45 all three are placed straight and side-by-side.

I don't know what the intent was to show the F150 as a smaller vehicle but his reply that it might be a lens curve issue is fishy/deceiving.

All three trucks have their own purpose and characteristics that separate them from each other. There is no need to deceive the audience by exaggerating on comparative vehicle dimensions.

Appreciate the variety and manufacturer offerings. We need MORE selection in order to 'inspire' innovation from the designers, engineers, and producers.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Check my comments on the video regarding his still image insert at 2:33. The image makes it appear that the F150 Lightning is smaller than the other two trucks. You can tell that the image was 'modified' and inserted because the video is made to look like it was one continuous shot but the image shows the Cybertruck and Rivian at 45 degree angle placements at that timestamp and at 2:45 all three are placed straight and side-by-side.

I don't know what the intent was to show the F150 as a smaller vehicle but his reply that it might be a lens curve issue is fishy/deceiving.

All three trucks have their own purpose and characteristics that separate them from each other. There is no need to deceive the audience by exaggerating on comparative vehicle dimensions.

Appreciate the variety and manufacturer offerings. We need MORE selection in order to 'inspire' innovation from the designers, engineers, and producers.
I mean, this is one of the main reasons Tesla continues to outsell everyone else. Their Social Media PR department is strong and influential. Tesla products are great but they are not untouchable, their PR dept makes it seems untouchable though.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I mean, this is one of the main reasons Tesla continues to outsell everyone else. Their Social Media PR department is strong and influential. Tesla products are great but they are not untouchable, their PR dept makes it seems untouchable though.
This is a safe space but out on Youtube, Tesla is like religion and politics, you just don't talk about it and let the fans say whatever they want.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
The Frunk is a killer for me. I use the Lightning Frunk daily for lockable storage. I have a Diamond Back on the bed so sturdy as heck and very secure although very manual. When you need to leave it open for hauling something, the Frunk saves the day.

Underbed storage is nice but not accessible when you have a load so be careful what you put in there.

Longer bed is nice but I think that is at the expense of the Frunk.

When hauling the family, I can plug in a crock pot and powered cooler in the Frunk without taking up the bed space for snowboards, skis, luggage etc.

I think he hit the nail on the head when he said let's see what is out there in 3 years. The EV truck landscape will look very different.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I’ll save everyone’s time.
It’s 20 minutes of couple YouTubers talking about nothing any rational human cares about except the funk size difference, followed by a 3 minute drive and a u-turn.
I’m not sure how much you can glean from a 3 minute test drive.
also, the video could accurately be retitled, “Man with a cyoertruck lets another man with a cybertruck order drive his Cybertruck around the block.”

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Here is a Rivian owner driving CT: "The more I drive it, the more I like my Rivian"

jdc604

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning (Lariat)
Occupation
Bits & Bytes
The dude used a wide angle shot and put CT on the side and Lightning in the middle. He parked CT closer to camera. Basically every trick in the book to make CT look larger than Lightning.

p.s. I just love the door handles on my Pro.

1706131276653.png
I believe that there was a bit more "trickery" involved here. Read my comments on this post and also what I had left on his video. His response seemed suspicious to me.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I believe that there was a bit more "trickery" involved here. Read my comments on this post and also what I had left on his video. His response seemed suspicious to me.
I mean it’s expected. Which is why I laugh when they say Tesla doesn’t have a PR Dept. I’m sure there was a lot of negative comments from the Lightning owner that were edited out.

Although I expect a lot of current Rivian and Lightning owners to make the switch just because of the way the Cybertruck drives, like a car. Some people want that while also having utility.

Personally it’s what kept me away from the Ridgeline, it didn’t feel like a truck, so instead went with a Colorado.

Sponsored

salengueros

First Name
salen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
You know what's funny, though? Lightning trucks do look pretty awesome when they're lowered. That sleek, close-to-the-ground vibe has its own charm, and it's perfect for those who love a more aerodynamic look.

But here's a thought: if you're still on the hunt for info or considering your next ride, have you ever thought about exploring used trucks? The variety out there is mind-blowing! I remember when I was truck shopping, I stumbled upon this hidden gem of a website, truckexporter.co.uk. They've got quite the selection to browse through, and you might just find your dream truck there.

Last edited:

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
One other issue- the “Ford Lightning Owner” (who is waiting for his own Cybertruck to be delivered in the next week or two) will be using it for work.
I use my Lightning as a work vehicle, and I’ve already had several customers mention with slight amount of snark, “I guess business is good” referring to the Lightning. They’re under the assumption my 49k PRO is a 100k vehicle.
He mentioned he delivers gym equipment as his day job.
Personally, I’d be very hesitant to drive a 100k+ vehicle as blue collar work vehicle. Customers aren’t dumb, and will believe they’re paying too much for your services if you’re hot rodding around in that expensive of a toy.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
One other issue- the “Ford Lightning Owner” (who is waiting for his own Cybertruck to be delivered in the next week or two) will be using it for work.
I use my Lightning as a work vehicle, and I’ve already had several customers mention with slight amount of snark, “I guess business is good” referring to the Lightning. They’re under the assumption my 49k PRO is a 100k vehicle.
He mentioned he delivers gym equipment as his day job.
Personally, I’d be very hesitant to drive a 100k+ vehicle as blue collar work vehicle. Customers aren’t dumb, and will believe they’re paying too much for your services if you’re hot rodding around in that expensive of a toy.
I have owned a 2023 Pro for a year now. The only comments I receive on the truck is regarding the color (avalanche). Almost no one knows it's an EV unless they were looking to buy one. In 2022 many forum members were eagerly paying over $100k+ for Platinum trims with markups. Most Lightnings cost well over $70K, you and me are in the minority with a Pro. It's no secret Ford loses money selling PRO and XLT trims. Ford is slashing Lightning production to stop the bleeding. The Fed QT has worked in slowing the amount of money chasing goods. BEV's are not going out of favor, they just aren't affordable due to higher rates/payments. Tesla is smart to sell the foundation series to those who will pay. It's supply and demand, just good business. CT prices will drop just like Lightning prices have.

Lots of negativity towards BEVs lately. This sounds similar to the FUD I heard in 2018-19 owning a 2018 TM3. Great for the LT TSLA investors like myself.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Tried to find your comments without success. It would take a long time to read through the long list of comments under that video. Could you share here, please?
Sponsored