• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
I've read TESTs that show at most 2% +/- increase. So that 2.4 miles per kWh becomes 2.448.
2% seems like a very reasonable number. Take a ratio of areas with/without mirrors to get your ratio of drag forces. Looking at the F150 face on in pictures, 2% of the frontal area looks like a darn good estimate.
Sponsored

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
For my range brackets the average so far has been:
  • Under 25 miles = 2.60
  • Under 50 miles = No Data
  • Under 100 miles = 2.28
  • Over 100 miles = 2.26

Splitting the temps into under and over 70F averages are:
  • Under 70 F = 2.23
  • Over 70F = 2.43
[/QUOTE]

NICE! I like where this is headed.

ABRP has a way to download. It not 100% reliable and app must be running while you drive and connected to truck.

you should run a standard deviation and eliminate outliers as they are likely raising your averages.

also the two biggest factors that affect energy used are outside temperature and driving style/speed. Now a longer range drive could mean higher speed but not necessarily true. Driving style will average out over time unless you drive with a lead foot off the clock versus on the clock. So then the biggest single variable that you can’t control is temperature I.e when I bought my ER truck average outside temperature was 55 degrees and after driving about 500 miles range was right around 280. Now at 20 degrees range is 205. And truck tells me it’s cold outside please plug in no matter what my battery SOC is.

I believe all EV range/energy calculations and estimates should include a temperature and speed curve.

Vithar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 2017 Explory
Occupation
Civil Engineer
NICE! I like where this is headed.

ABRP has a way to download. It not 100% reliable and app must be running while you drive and connected to truck.

you should run a standard deviation and eliminate outliers as they are likely raising your averages.

also the two biggest factors that affect energy used are outside temperature and driving style/speed. Now a longer range drive could mean higher speed but not necessarily true. Driving style will average out over time unless you drive with a lead foot off the clock versus on the clock. So then the biggest single variable that you can’t control is temperature I.e when I bought my ER truck average outside temperature was 55 degrees and after driving about 500 miles range was right around 280. Now at 20 degrees range is 205. And truck tells me it’s cold outside please plug in no matter what my battery SOC is.

I believe all EV range/energy calculations and estimates should include a temperature and speed curve.
I'm not a fan of ABRP's interface with android auto in the truck, so I never use it. I really wanted speed data to include in this but its not in the ford pass app. Some assumptions can be made based on distance, for example all the 100 mile plus drives involve freeway, but it would amount to pretty much the same bracketing on distance I already did.

The standard deviation on my full data set is 0.36, so you could say the average of all my driving was 2.3 ± 0.36

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I'm not a fan of ABRP's interface with android auto in the truck, so I never use it. I really wanted speed data to include in this but its not in the ford pass app. Some assumptions can be made based on distance, for example all the 100 mile plus drives involve freeway, but it would amount to pretty much the same bracketing on distance I already did.

The standard deviation on my full data set is 0.36, so you could say the average of all my driving was 2.3 ± 0.36
Interesting data and discussion. I’ve been working on creating a similar spreadsheet. Are you willing to share your template?

Vithar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 2017 Explory
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Interesting data and discussion. I’ve been working on creating a similar spreadsheet. Are you willing to share your template?
I'm happy to share, but I'll warn you, I slightly lied when I said excel. I mean, I am using excel for the data entry, but just to add the data to a csv, the plots and analysis are done in R. Still happy to share it though.

Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
What kind of range is everyone getting........
1100 miles done.
Range calculating at 371

IMG_9613.PNG

IMG_9614.jpeg
WOW! 371 on 100% charge. You must do most your driving in the city. I once did a 2 hour city driving test where I was getting 3.3/kwh which would've equated to 432 miles with my 131 kwh battery had that remained constant. During those two hours I did see as high as 3.5/kwh for a short time. I tried to be consistent in my driving.

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
WOW! 371 on 100% charge. You must do most your driving in the city. I once did a 2 hour city driving test where I was getting 3.3/kwh which would've equated to 432 miles with my 131 kwh battery had that remained constant. During those two hours I did see as high as 3.5/kwh for a short time. I tried to be consistent in my driving.
Unfortunately the miles/kWh gauge is useless. I've had 3 mile round trips show 8+ miles/kWh. You can easily influence the data so it's easy to prove its inaccuracy. For example you can drive 20 miles in one trip and it show 2.6 mi / kWh and for just a few seconds of pushing the pedal hard it can drop to 2.2 mi immediately. This proves it's not calculating the average miles/kWh properly and is more of a "snapshot at that moment" gauge.

Hopefully Ford fixes it so it can be of some value to drivers.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Unfortunately the miles/kWh gauge is useless. I've had 3 mile round trips show 8+ miles/kWh. You can easily influence the data so it's easy to prove its inaccuracy. For example you can drive 20 miles in one trip and it show 2.6 mi / kWh and for just a few seconds of pushing the pedal hard it can drop to 2.2 mi immediately. This proves it's not calculating the average miles/kWh properly and is more of a "snapshot at that moment" gauge.

Hopefully Ford fixes it so it can be of some value to drivers.

It's definitely not a snapshot, it's just less accurate when you've driven less miles. When you've only driven 20 miles, one big hill or a hard acceleration can affect the average. After you've driven a few hundred miles on a trip then the number rarely changes.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I’m pretty happy now. I just did a test in the mountain area where I live. Basically, going from 6k up to 7.5k and down to 4K elevation 42 miles, and turning around.

84 miles used up 26% of the battery, so a little over 320 miles on a full battery driving around my area. It just started snowing, so it’s gonna lower.

Alexsouthcleveland

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 lightning Lariat ER
Keeping trip 2 as my lifetime efficiency trip. I have a Lariat ER that I use for my business every day. Run a fan and an air compressor all day so far over 4k miles and about 10% of my energy is for my tools. Wish ford would give specifics on how many KWH were used As they said truck buyers love data!

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Real World Range -- What's Yours? E9595B17-2CC4-4DC1-94D7-4044C9A558D7

Sponsored

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
I'll be picking up mine today and driving from Dallas to Austin tomorrow evening. Lariat SR with just under 220 miles. Def gonna either have to watch my speed or stop and charge. Let's see what happens!

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My lifetime trip meter is at 2.4 mpk for ~5500 miles. It had been at 2.3 mpk for a while but recently tipped over to 2.4. About 1500 of my first 2000 miles was a road trip so it took a while for the average to come back up. My normal driving is probably 2/3rds highway. My day to day driving seems to be 2.4-2.5 and roadtripping comes in at 2.2-2.3.

kgilcris24

First Name
Kayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Automotive Parts Sales
Hello all, just wanted to share my experience with my lightning lariat extended range, I have about 7500 miles currently. When I first got the truck, and for the first couple thousand mile, I drove it just like my previous trucks. My commute was right 45 miles a day with about 80% of it being highway. I typically set cruise to 80 MPH on the highway so not the most efficient. At these speeds during the winter I average 1.6-1.8 miles/kwh. During the summer this increased to about 1.8-2.0. A month or two ago I decided to test out an alternate route to my work that actually cuts the distance to 42 miles, but my speed is between 40-45 the whole way. The commute itself takes about 10 minutes longer, but my efficiency has increased dramatically. I now average 2.9-3.1 miles/kwh on my commute. With the 131 kwh battery an average of 3 miles/kwh this would be about 390 miles of range on a charge, which is pretty accurate. I you not to go too far below 50 miles of charge remaining, but I usually get to about 380 miles of I add up my actually trip miles and the estimated range remaining on the guess o meter. This is pretty incredible to me as I was only getting about 250-260 miles on a charge before I made the switch. Definitely recommend taking the extra time on your commute for those that are able, saves a bunch of money, and it is a much more scenic and calming drive. I do see a few other EVs on my route that I believe may be doing the same as me.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
1100 miles done.
Range calculating at 371

IMG_9613.PNG

IMG_9614.jpeg
You must drive all city to get that kind of range with your platinum. I'm lucky to stay a 2/mpk at 70mph, 2.3/mpk at 55 and if I drove all city, I might be able to achieve the 2.82/mpk you're showing here.
1100 miles done.
Range calculating at 371

IMG_9613.PNG

IMG_9614.jpeg
I only charge my platinum to 85% which should be about 110 kwh with my ER and it has shown as high as 265 which would be around 2.4/mpk. What usually isn't talked about and possibly isn't understood is, if I actually used 100 kwh and charged it back up to 85% it can take as much as 10% or more kwh to charge it back up because of the loses.

EVs Explained: Charging Losses
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36062942/evs-explained-charging-losses/

So even though our EV'S are tell us the estimated range it is calculating that by kwh usage not how many kwh to actually replace those used kwh.

Don't misunderstand, I love my lightning, and would never return to an ICE truck for many reasons other than mileage efficiency. I only charge at home with my 80 amp ford pro charger that came with my platinum at $.12/kwh in summer and $.08/kwh in winter so even though I do wish I got better efficiency, I have no complaints because it always gets a minimum of $6/100 miles in my case. Even at $3/gal gas that's equal to the 50 mpg I got with my 2018 prius. And with nearly a 7000 lb vehicle that's fantastic.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Hello all, just wanted to share my experience with my lightning lariat extended range, I have about 7500 miles currently. When I first got the truck, and for the first couple thousand mile, I drove it just like my previous trucks. My commute was right 45 miles a day with about 80% of it being highway. I typically set cruise to 80 MPH on the highway so not the most efficient. At these speeds during the winter I average 1.6-1.8 miles/kwh. During the summer this increased to about 1.8-2.0. A month or two ago I decided to test out an alternate route to my work that actually cuts the distance to 42 miles, but my speed is between 40-45 the whole way. The commute itself takes about 10 minutes longer, but my efficiency has increased dramatically. I now average 2.9-3.1 miles/kwh on my commute. With the 131 kwh battery an average of 3 miles/kwh this would be about 390 miles of range on a charge, which is pretty accurate. I you not to go too far below 50 miles of charge remaining, but I usually get to about 380 miles of I add up my actually trip miles and the estimated range remaining on the guess o meter. This is pretty incredible to me as I was only getting about 250-260 miles on a charge before I made the switch. Definitely recommend taking the extra time on your commute for those that are able, saves a bunch of money, and it is a much more scenic and calming drive. I do see a few other EVs on my route that I believe may be doing the same as me.
That sounds very close to my platinum. On 55 mph roads, if I drop my speed to just 50 I can get 2.4-2.5/mpk instead of 2.3/mpk.
Sponsored